Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Convent records early 1900s?

• 07-01-2022 4:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi.

I'm trying to confirm information my grandfather had on an aunt of his in Northern Ireland. I know she left for the US in 1930 and got married there.

He mentioned that she was previously in a convent. Are there any sites that I can search to confirm her attendance to the convent? She was born 1898, Co. Armagh.

I'm not able to find her in 1911 Census but she is in the 1901 Census.

Winifred Lawless

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,663 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

The trouble is that she'd probably be recorded under her nun name on later censuses if she actually became a nun.

If you know which order of nuns, you could try them directly. Some orders will have an archivist. Loreto has one in Ireland, for example.

There's nothing centralised though.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Garlinge

Some years ago there was work done in the Genealogical Society of Ireland to record data on nuns. I was surprised to learn that nuns did not have much interest in the life of their entrants in their previous life as if they were 'born again' when they entered. I traced one relative (1858 - 1934) to San Francisco but they had no idea how old she was or where born/family background but this may have been because her convent there was destroyed the earthquake/fire of 1906. Her christian name had been changed but the surname survived.

Advertisement