Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vegan +other restriction (Coeliac / ibs etc)

Options
  • 07-01-2022 4:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,850 ✭✭✭

Howayiz

I've been a pseudo vegan now for about 5 years. I've had a couple of good runs - 2 years, and several 6 to 8 months before falling off the wagon for various periods of time.

I'm back on the vegan train now but I have a question about going vegan in tandem with other enforced dietary restrictions. I was having some digestive issues, (let's leave it at that...) last autumn and went on a FODMAP diet - which cuts out a huge amount of vegetables / pulses / grains / beans - a lot of the staples of a healthy vegan or vegetarian diet. But the FODMAP allows all meats and a lot of dairy, so for the sake of simplicity I just went back on the meat (with a bit of a vengeance too). But now as I slowly release myself from the FODMAP regime and start to reintroduce I'm finding that wheat-based stuff doesn't agree with me, and neither do a lot of the fermentative plant based foodstuffs - onions, garlic, beans, cabbage, chickpeas etc.

So, is it too big of an ask to go vegan when you can't also tolerate wheat/bread/pasta on top of ruling out the protein punch provided by beans and pulses?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,850 ✭✭✭fat bloke

I guess I'll just have to phone a friend...

Advertisement