Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switching from Airtricity gas & electricity.. Cheapest providers around?

Options
  • 07-01-2022 8:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

We're on sse airtricity for gas & electricity. Bill is 153 a month fixed for both... Can we get cheaper & should we wait for the price hike in April before we switch?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

Bill is not fixed. The payments are fixed.

You need to keep an eye on usage as you will get a balancing payment request at some point.

I switched last week. Electric Ireland were cheapest. Their standing charges were lower and their net unit rate was lower.

Beware of headline "41% off" rates. It's 41% off a very high standard rate.

Electric Ireland 26% off worked out 5% lower unit cost than energias 41%off.

As for April increase - that's a UK increase. They have a strange system there which has led to about 15 suppliers going bust.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 firenzevenezia

Perfect, thanks so much. Do you think we should make the change now so? Yikes I thought it was a fixed bill not just payments... We've been very careless looking for a more frugal 2022! Are you using electric Ireland for both?

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭kilsmum

Bonkers.ie is a good site to enter your current bill details. They will then give you the cheapest option.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭kilsmum

• Advertisement

Thanks a million, I'll do that

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

Electric Ireland were cheaper on their own website than bonkers, so do not click the link on bonkers.

But compare unit costs and standing costs rather than the discount percentage.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,540 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

how do I figure out the annual standing charge from my current bill?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Just did a trawl of the big five this morning : Electric Ireland, Bord Gais, SSE, Energia and Iberdola. Ignore the big percentage discounts, ignore the cashback offers, ignore the freebie heating gadgets, ignore the environmental virtue signalling etc. Stick with the unit cost inclusive of VAT and the standing charges.

Electric Ireland with their 26% off is the cheapest currently.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,273 ✭✭✭✭zell12

When did you sign with SSE? There's an exit charge if <1year. It's unclear currently if there'll be another round of price increases

Comparison sites are www.bonkers.ie www.powertoswitch.ie www.switcher.ie

• Advertisement
Advertisement