Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Former Capitol Radio/Nitesky Radio Presenters Still Involved with Irish Radio

• 07-01-2022 10:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,226 ✭✭✭

There were a number of pirates over the years in Dublin called either Capitol Radio or Capital Radio. The one I am talking about started in 1983 and closed down on December 31st 1988. It started as an albums station and evolved over time into an alterative rock-oriented station, and particularly with its alter-ego night service Nitesky Radio which was launched in September 1986.

So who is still involved with Irish Radio?

Matt Dempsey - since last year with Radio Nova - he had been involved with numerous stations, many outside Dublin, before this.

Michael Reade, aka Mike Reade - LMFM

Ken O'Sullivan, aka Ken Regis - LMFM

Dave McGrath, aka David Paul - KFM

Alan Cantwell, aka Dave Carney (and possibly Nick Carney as well!) - lately reading news on Radio Nova - used to be on TV3 for many years

Bob Conway, aka Martin Cullinan - online station More Music Ireland - he had been involved with a number of stations including 2FM and Today FM.

Gerry Stephens - Q102 - he turned up in a number of stations including 2FM.

Pat James - Radio Nova and its digital station Classic Rock

Any more?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,226 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

Here is another one.

Dave Kelly (I did not realise he was involved with this Capitol Radio until today!): Group Programming Consultant for Bay Broadcasting, i.e. Radio Nova and Classic Hits - was previously Group Programme Director for Q102 and FM104, having started as a presenter with licensed Capital Radio (no connection!) and spending many years behind the scenes in management positions under its relaunches as Rock104 and FM104.

Here's some trivia I just noticed today about Dave McGrath, i.e. David Paul. He was previously involved with another Capitol Radio in the same original building in Milltown! That's right - there had been another Capitol Radio a year before which shut down. Maybe the owners of the second station came to some kind of agreement with the owners of the first. Incidentally, Dave also presented an Irish rock programme called Street Talk some years later on licensed Capital Radio (now FM104)! That's the bones of another thread I think!

Another potential one I discovered today, if Aiden Stewart of Capitol Radio is the same as Aidan Leonard of RTE Gold, which I think he is because elsewhere Aidan Leonard used the name Aidan Stewart!

Advertisement