Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

49k Quote for Renovations

Options
  • 07-01-2022 11:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31

Hi all,

I received a quote for 49k for renovations on two bed mid-terrace in Dublin (73 sq m). I'm wondering if this sounds reasonable? This includes:

• Full rewiring
    • Replumbing and new rads
    • Insulation of external walls
    • Re-skimming
    • Removal of internal structural wall
    • Replacement of window with French double doors
    • Expansion of bathroom area
    • New kitchen (excluding flooring and appliances)
    • Strcut Engineer.

I'm a novice so any input much appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

From the information you have given, sounds pretty good to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭bytheglass

in my inexperienced opinion, I would be getting 3x quotes for comparison. The sky is the limit with kitchens… stone counter v laminate so v difficult to answer

• Registered Users Posts: 10,195 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

I would strong suggest that you get a documented list of exactly what you are getting for that money and what quality of products. My renovation rapidly doubled in price with various options, some of which I I accepted and some were forced upon me.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Just to add, I would agree with both the above!

• Registered Users Posts: 31 acorn1984

Thanks all sound advice. A

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,560 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Yeh you really need a breakdown

• Full rewiring

Does this include switches and sockets with USB? Is Ehternet included?

• Replumbing and new rads

NEeds to expand on this.

• Insulation of external walls

EWI or just fitting insulated plasterboard over existing walls? Are they putting in vents? Will they do a BER report?

• Re-skimming
    • Removal of internal structural wall
    • Replacement of window with French double doors
    • Expansion of bathroom area

Retiling etc??

• New kitchen (excluding flooring and appliances)

This is glaring tbh. Is it an Ikea kitchen? Solid timber? Countertops?

• Strcut Engineer.

Get them to breakdown each bullet point with the spec they will be working to.

For that price id be expecting external wall insulation anyway. Well worth the money

Advertisement