Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Timber for bird houses

Options
  • 08-01-2022 10:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 44

What’s the best type of timber to use to make a bird house in Irish weather?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭timfromtang

Greetings west lad,

I'd suggest that larch or oak would be ideal, in both cases you would want to use the heartwood only, as the sap wod is not rot resistant, easy to tell, the colour is different.

Cypress would also work well, macrocarpa, lawson cypress, leylandi, any of those, all have good rot resistance in Irish conditions again heartwood only.

tim

• Registered Users Posts: 44 irewestlad

Thanks Tim!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭dathi

i made a few out of silver birch last year had blue tits nest in them

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,441 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i'd say whatever timber you have to hand - i have hedgehog boxes made from old pallet wood several years ago, and rot was a problem on the underneath where they were sitting on damp ground, and there was no air circulation to dry them out. i'd say you should get a few years from pallet wood as bird boxes.

Advertisement