Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sinead O'Connor's son passes away

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭hawley

Sinéad O’Connor, whose teenage son Shane O’Connor died from suicide last week, turned to Twitter on Thursday, the day of her son’s funeral, to issue what can only be described as a heartbreaking call for help.

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭juno10353

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

The tweets obviously are to be taken seriously and glad to see she's getting help but they're a cry for help more than a real intention to self harm. I can't imagine anyone who actually wanted to do it would announce it in advance where they know there'll be a mad dash to get there.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭MarkEadie

Yep. Anyone serious about doing it would have it all planned before announcing it and then immediately do it after announcing it. Once that decision is made, the person is mainly concerned with the attempt being successful so any announcement would only be done after everything was carefully planned and put in place so that the announcement won't affect anything.

Very tough situation. I agree a bit with Animalinside, Sinead tends to make everything about herself....she always has. The attention seeking is for some kind of validation I’d say...although as such a successful & beautiful singer she already had validation and recognition.

i had a bad childhood (physical and emotional abuse from my mother) and I also lost a child ( not suicide). I suffered from depression but suicide was never an option as I had 2 other children. My instinct to protect and love them overrode . Having a tough childhood doesn’t necessarily mean you’re whole life is a mess, it’s possible to turn it around.

Sinead has a younger child than Shane I think ?? I really hope she can get the help she needs to get over this awful loss ...... it’s a very long road and she’s not starting from a good place . I feel for her other kids too. God bless her .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭TooTired123

I think Sinead’s mental health issues are not solely as a result of her upbringing. Her attention seeking antics are part of her illness. Scorn not her illness, but rather try to love her all the more. To paraphrase a great song.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

It may have been asked before, but is that Twitter account definitely hers and managed by her?

I do feel for her Maryanne but love her is going a bit far as I don't know her. I just feel unbelievable sorry for all her kids as they didn't ask for any of this. I hope Sinead gets the help she needs, she has a very long road ahead

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

If you are in such a place that you don't want to live, you don't "announce" anything.

I don’t think there was ever any serious danger of any significant self harm. Her children have clearly reached a point where in order to protect themselves they have to block her in every sense. Even on the occasion of their youngest brothers tragic death.

We all have relatives who need to be kept at arms length because from long experience you know that there will be distressing damaging histrionics if you engage.

This relative might well be your mother.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 usa4981IE

RIP to Sinead O’Connor and her family.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,659 ✭✭✭✭Esel

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭GoneHome

I was reading up on this tonight, jeez it's all very odd, apparently she put up a twitter yesterday that she was going to kill herself to join him or something like that, god unfortunately she was always in a bad place and the son lousing his life seems to have tipped her over the edge god love her

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

Any suicide by someone so young is tragic. My sympathies to his parents and friends.

On the subject of media coverage I can understand a policy of sensitivity but there's also the public rather than prurient interest. I've seen it claimed that this young man 'was under the care of TUSLA' and in other places something along the lines of 'he was known to TUSLA' also the term 'on suicide watch' has been used but what does this actually mean when someone is in a public hospital? You can use this term when someone is in prison but what exactly does it mean, were there locked (on the inside) doors? Was the hospital short staffed due to Covid regs?

These are legitimate questions the media should be asking and reporting on.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭animalinside

Yeah, I made some comments in a similar vein and my post was deleted. I'm not whining about it being deleted, I'm just saying such posts are being deleted. I note that later she wore an extremely bright pink tracksuit to the funeral with the justification that he wanted a Hindu burial where bright colours are normal. Others wore bright colours but not quite like her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 555 ✭✭✭laoisgem

What do you think your observation means? Do you think it's worth mentioning or something?

Do you often go around commenting on what grieving mothers wear?

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭animalinside

And now it's coming back to me why I stopped posting on this board for a long time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

For Shane, may your soul have found peace in returning home to the source of all.

Thoughts of peace and healing for your family and friends.

Om Namo Narayanaya..

Sineads Twitter account is public and as such open to all. She tweets a lot. She’s an interesting open person. Engaging with that type of person on Twitter naturally let’s you form certain opinions about them as you would if you were meeting them in person.

It’s easy to work out through the tweets that Sinead has a very strong tendency to put herself front and centre of every single situation she finds herself in. This seems to happen almost subconsciously. It’s one of the many reasons, I’d imagine, why her surviving children just tolerate her and she spent (by her own admission)the days between her sons death and his funeral entirely alone. For a bereaved mother that must have been very painful. When you take into account how famous she is and how many people she knows then that is very telling.

• In my case yes. Haven't spoke with my mother in 2 years and better for it by all accounts.

Some people can't get their head around that.

Becoming a biological mother doesn’t excuse terrible behaviour and bad habits. Some people don’t agree with that and that’s fine.

Nobody should be forced to maintain a relationship with another person just because their related to them by blood. Ultimately you have to save your own health and well being first.

Fair play to you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭seenitall

I speak to mine, but approximately as much as is necessary and no more. I’ve decided on a balancing act between minding my mental health and being a dutiful daughter. I certainly don’t feel for her even a smidgen of what I imagine a daughter usually feels for her mother. It’s all so siht. It’s a horrible, long, almost life-long emotional toll and a huge price to pay for being born to a wrong person, a wrong family.

And it’s true, when I speak about all the past abuse or the current crazy making behaviour, people just don’t believe it, so invested are they in this sacred cultural paradigm of “Mother”. So I’m very careful who I share these things with.

I’m guessing, going by her past and present behaviour, that Sinead suffers from some kind of histrionic personality disorder plus a bonus of a mental illness. It’s horrible, absolutely lives-destroying stuff, and I do feel for her, especially now. I, however, am not one of her children. :(

—————————-

“A year in which my mother died cannot be all bad.”

John Osborne

Advertisement