Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

College or Apprenticeship

Options
  • 08-01-2022 3:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

I studied a lot in my leaving cert and got 477 points. I didn't think about what course I wanted to do, I thought it would come to me. I tried Law but dropped it. I'm nearly 21 and so I feel like I need to decide really soon. But I just end up stressing because I worry about not having any idea what I want to do for as a career. I have tried to talking to my parents and family but it hasn't helped. I don't have any idea how to approach this in a logical way and not stress myself. Anyone have any advice or resources I can use?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭ifeelabreeze

I've been down both the college and apprenticeship route - left for an electrician apprenticeship and ended up back in college doing a Business degree.

What interests you? Or at the very least - what don't you hate?

What do you want to do?

When you say apprenticeship do you mean a typical construction based apprenticeship, motor trade or something like the Insurance apprenticeship - for which you get a level 8 degree.

I went into a Business degree having done the same research as yourself - virtually none. I knew I'd dislike the maths, thought I'd tolerate the economics and like the accounting - I ended up struggling with the maths, hating the economics and tolerating the accounting. It's important to do your research.

I'm now back in a Business degree at a different University - Electrician was not for me, I didn't know what else to do, knew I could essentially bluff my way through a Business degree - if I didn't have to do the same level(s) of Maths, Econ and Accounting. A programme in an IT college allowed for greater flexibility and I've currently got 1 exam left before I'm out the gate.

Would I say I've enjoyed my chosen discipline? Nope, it's a load of waffle with some hints of useful information.

But I preferred that 9 times out of 10 over slogging away on a building site pulling cable in the pissing rain.

Decide if you're looking at an apprenticeship out of genuine interest in learning a trade or because you think it'll be handier than college - because it's tough going.

If you're considering the trades have a look at construction management or quantity surveying, maybe engineering?

What subjects did you enjoy in school?

Where do your strengths lie? - Maths, essay writing etc

I'm not saying to not go do a trade - There's great employment prospects and some good money to be made, but learn a trade because you want to learn a trade, not because you don't like college and don't fancy working retail for the rest of your life, I went into for those aforementioned reasons and it was a mistake.

Advertisement