Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone, Pure Telecom, RuralWifi, Sky - Which FTTH provider?

Options
  • 08-01-2022 7:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭

They're all €35 pm for 12 months according to Bonkers. Only requirement is whatever router they provide it can be put into modem only mode, as I'll use my own router. Which company should I pick/avoid?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,860 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Have Sky myself and replaced their router entirely with my own. No problems at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭spuddy

After some googling, looks like Pure Telecom offer a Fritzbox which I'd be surprised if it couldn't be put into modem only/bridge mode. Vodafone's looks like an own brand job, can't tell what RuralWifi offer, what router does Sky provide?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭dam099

If you aren’t using the phone service of whatever provider you choose, you can usually bypass the ISP router completely and plug your own router into the ONT if it supports VLAN.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭alec76

About that. Fritzbox or any others doesn’t have integrated fibre modem. They are all routers only , nothing really to bridge. Modem for FTTH is ONT box ( optical network terminal) on the wall.You just plug your own router into it and that all.

Do you have any decent router ? It is hard to beat Fritzbox .Unless you got some AX ( WiFi 6) router ( or advanced Mesh system)I wouldn’t bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭spuddy

That's great advice, thanks!

• Advertisement
Advertisement