Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anyone thinking of emigrating?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

There are some great signs that things are going in the right direction for the UK, after a really terrible decade.

After the first few months, England has been one of the countries leading the way with a sensible response to Covid, quick to get out of lockdowns, relatively free speech, quick to get business opened up again. A lot of people choosing not to live in perpetual fear and misery. There is a cost of living crisis, and has been for some time, but at least people are openly discussing it and putting pressure on all politicians over it.

Interest rates are on their way back up in response, as they should be. Because Britain stayed out of the Euro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Off topic but what's Kilcullen like ?, one of my old mates thinking of buying there , told him to stick to North Kildare

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

North Kildare is definitely nicer but more expensive. Kilcullen is ok I suppose. It's not as nice as Naas or Maynooth but still much better than Athy or Kildare town.

Can I ask what your living situation is like?

Because wanting to live alone in a small town with a small dog (big dreams eh?) on €50k will leave someone with about €22k after tax and rent. I'm comfortable but that's about it. If I want to have a kid then either she better be working and go back ASAP or we'd be better off on the dole.

Even at that, I've had a dental problem which left me with basically 0 disposable income for 2 full months. If I wasn't working it would have cost me 0.

Then there's the issue of cars, and anyone with any interest in cars will have a justified chip on their shoulder. Want something nice and powerful? **** you, you're gonna pay through the nose for it. Want something cheap? **** you, we don't do that. In Germany you can lease a brand new car (Dacia Sandero) for €99 a month. Or €109 for the turbo version with 100 horsepower. Here, with a deposit, it's a little over €200 on PCP. I still feel like I'm getting a bargain relative to what other cars go for (and the cheap tax and insurance a new car brings) but the difference is stark.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭NSAman

I hear you loud and clear. While if we moved home, I would be the sole (god help my soul) bread winner. Not really an issue, but we would see a massive decline in income. The kids are all grown paid for and are leading their own lives, but it would still see mum and dad having to spend to bring them “home”.

it would mean me travelling more, which I don’t mind. Herself hates travelling, I love it. Would it see her left by herself more? Yes. Having my family around her would be the saviour.

i think what we will do is a hybrid model, some months here, some months abroad. I’m lucky in that I can basically at this stage work anywhere with fast internet access (don’t get me started on Eir fibre installations which is a massive issue currently 2 years waiting), herself can work remotely for a while but will need to go to the office a fair amount (if she stays in her employment).

as I said we are lucky in that we have a house here (just needs work), but the other implications are tax residency.

the kids have told us to go do what we want. We won’t be selling the family home in the States.

Healthcare for us (obviously getting up there) is a massive issue. Seeing the way my Dad was treated here prior to his death and the lack of support mam gets (only for my siblings and myself when here) and the sheer craziness of the Irish health service, is worrisome. I know we pay a lot for health insurance in the US but the services and plan we are on are excellent.

lots to think about though.

i feel for you with the kids being younger, that is absolutely a difficult decision to make. I wish you well with the choices, and hope it all works out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,566 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

The problem with Germany is that it can be a lonely place. I like the country and I like "the Germans", but they can be awfully aloof. I've never actually lived there mind you, but I know in my heart that I could never be able to settle there. I've been to several places over there and while it seems like it would be a nice and quiet place to live in most areas, I think that that would end up be the problem. Germans are a nice crowd in the main and in general are very welcoming to the Irish I've found. But they're also quite stand offish too and I don't believe that I'd ever be able to gather the friends there that I have in Ireland. I know people who have moved there and they have nothing, except their job and their family (the mothers of which they met in Ireland). Their entire lives are centred just around those two things. They don't have buddies and they don't have a life outside of those limitations. Their job and their family is in Germany, but their home isn't.

This type of problem exists with moving to other countries too. I know people in Canada who only know their boyfriend and the people they work with. They're dying to come home because they haven't anything else going on except job and sitting in the flat in the evening. But they know that coming back here means a lower paid job because of our low wage economy and being stuck living at the mercy of some landlord because buying a house isn't an option.

You see while there are better opportunities abroad for Irish people with respects to work, and that has ALWAYS been the case, the simple fact is that most will end up missing Ireland for the people and the fact that it's home. I've know some people that have recently returned from America and they've said that they've had more fun in the few months they've been back than in the entire years that they've been away, which I found rather sad.

Life isn't simply about a job and it isn't a dress rehearsal.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Still stihl waters 3

You say yourself you're comfortable, what more is it you're looking for? I'll agree insurance and the price of cars can be prohibitive to some but unless you're a high risk or looking at cars outside your budget it's achievable to most people, what is it you're expecting on 50k a year, you've over 400 a week disposable income, that's pretty good and with minor budgeting you should be able to afford a good quality of life

400 quid of disposable income a week is more than enough for a good quality of life, unless you've a penchant for whores and cocaine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭HBC08

Don't know where you're getting your figures from but after car tax/insurance/diesel/oil/ food/clothes/Health insurance and many many more that doesn't leave him (or me) with much.

I got the figures off him, and they're bills we all have to pay, 400 a week after rent is a good living and more than plenty to take care of all the bills and maybe some for saving, this is why I asked what do people expect from 50k a year, it's not a wage that will change your life, it'll keep you in a relatively comfortable way of living but don't expect a month in the Seychelles and a 70 grand beamer in the drive

• Advertisement

"They're bills we all have to pay"

What does that mean?Does it mean they somehow don't come out of the €400 you reckoned was disposable income?

Not sure what you're on about in relation to the Seychelles.

Can you admit you have your figures very wrong or at least that you have a tenuous grip on the meaning of disposable income?

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭bertiebomber

I have lived in the states legally with green card Florida New York Boston,France Belgium London all interesting all gave me something to take with me in life but i came home to Ireland and i like Ireland. It has its issues especially the numpties in dail Eireann but my neighbours know me where i buy my groceries, animal feed they ask about my parents there is a community spirit struggling to stay alive in this country especailly in rural ireland.

Maybe the city of Dublin has become a London type of place all wanting to mug each other and scrape each others eyes out but rural ireland real rural ireland is still a decent place to live and raise a family. A lot of lefty politics are coming into this country moreso in the cities & it is disconcerting but we need to populate rural ireland and hold onto that special quality we knew growing up and i know that some people will.

Fair point, disposable is the wrong word, I mean 400 a week to pay bills is not bad at all, you'd have plenty disposable income after bills. My own experience on a similar wage is its plenty to get by after everything paid. My point about the Seychelles and the BMW is if you expect an extravagant life on 50k you're going to be disappointed

Rural Ireland is OK provided you are seed ,breed and generation , the clanishness is a sight to behold

People only willing to be friends with those they sat beside in junior infants are the kind who stay ,anyone with a broader view leaves

Rural folk aren't friendly, they are nosey

400 a week disposable less internet, phone, car, insurance, electricity, gas and food and incidentals like clothes and the like.

It's amazing how much keep missing the point. And that if you're ok then why would ever expect more?

The 400 a week isn't disposable, anyone with English as their first language would know that.

The alternative is maybe Holland where I would be on €70k+ (with favourable text incentives) with a properly functional healthcare and transport system. Or America where it would be $90k+ with $70k take home.

"You're not in dire straits so what more could you possibly want?". Christ.

EDIT: I got a 5% pay increase this year. Which is a 3% increase on take home pay. Inflation is higher. I'm worse off than last year.

As clarified I said disposable was the wrong word, there's no need to resort to insults about my first language, I'm not looking for a row, you say 50 k isn't enough, whereas I can survive no problem, I think people's expectations of what they think a good wage is and what it gets you are 2 different things, you say you can earn 70k somewhere else then here's the kicker, nowhere owes you a living, the government owe you nothing, you're more than welcome to find a place that accommodates all your expectations about what you deserve, if your job is paying you 50k and you think its not enough that's your problem, you come across as someone who seem entitled to more but you don't earn enough so that's everyone's problem but your own

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,211 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

The Dutch health care system has an awful lot of problems, regardless of the steep cost you pay.

It is also significantly dearer to live there than here. Not small.

You'll get some hop. It's actually jaw dropping.

Did I say I was owed a living or anything else? But even there, "Survive". How dare I want to go elsewhere to more than survive.

A perfect example of what I don't like about this country happened this morning when some dickhead reversed into the side of me. His fault but it'll be 50/50 because it's cheaper for the insurance companies to not investigate, I'll be out my excess and a couple of years of no claim. There's another 2 months of 0 disposable income. Lovely.

And yes, I know it can happen anywhere. Christ though all the signs really are there for me at this stage though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,996 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

I lived abroad for 15 years and would encourage everyone including my own kids to live somewhere else for some point while there are young. I had a great life, experienced so much, and made a lot of friends. We then returned back to Ireland about 9 years ago and absolutely love being back but I think it took out experiences abroad to really appreciate how great this country is and how much we love it here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,211 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Lad you really are going to get an almighty hop when you move abroad.😀

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,835 ✭✭✭Allinall

Why would it be 50/ 50?

You do know that there are 100 at fault claims?

Because it's cheaper for insurance companies to go 50/50 and unless I can prove beyond a reasonable doubt otherwise that's what they'll do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 267 ✭✭boardlady

I have to agree with you - not a popular opinion I know. I also love our climate. It could rain a little less, but nobody gets to pick and choose. Having lived in Asia, I will never forget the relief of getting off a plane in Dublin and taking in a big breath of damp, fresh air. It was such a relief after so long trying to breath in stifling heat and humidity. I also lived in central Europe for a while. The sameness of each day actually got to be after a while. I love that our weather can be different throughout one day, never mind one week. As a gardener, walker and runner, I spend a lot of time outside and the lack of particularly extreme temperatures is probably the best bit. I know i'm an anomaly though 😁

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭manonboard

If people are interested in emigrating,

I'm over in Portugal and taking advantage of the NHR scheme. Its basically a much cheaper rate of tax for skilled immigrants. Pretty easy to set up.

20% of my income rather than the usual higher rates. This is also available to pensioners too in some form.

It came in after the financial crisis to basically bring more money into the country. When signed up, you get 10 years on it. Very financially helpful.

Also a little tip in a car park isn't a reason to emigrate, I assumed the "all the signs are there" would be taken in the jokey sarcastic it was intended.

Why? Because you did? Abroad seems a fairly broad term.

I spent 10 years working in different countries,most Asia but also a bit in the US.

I got a hop as you say when I came back to Ireland

The tax we pay versus what we get for it and how much it costs to have a decent life here being the biggest issues.Issues I didn't have abroad,often in places where the cost of living is higher than Ireland (Tokyo,Hawaii for example)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,942 ✭✭✭growleaves

Is there any equivalent for self-employed or does it apply to self-employed do you know?

Edit: I see that it does

I lived abroad before for a few years, you learn a lot of self-reliance. The difficulties of adjusting and setting yourself up can be a good thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,420 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Moving from Dublin to rural Ireland could present the same challenges. But it would solve the affordability of property issue, without having to go to another country.

not a fan of heat myself so i like the climate perfectly fine , Dublin especially has a nice climate , Donegal , Galway , kerry , not so much

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 368 ✭✭keoclassic

Back to mullingar " The gateway to Dublin" 😂. I think people have no choice now but to move from Dublin, the cost of housing is massive if you are making an average wage.

But people are looking at moving thousands of miles to countries which have big variations in house prices between cities and rural. Dublin is like London or New York, you won't find cheap housing there. Supply and demand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 368 ✭✭keoclassic

Your dead right, it all boils down to how much time an individual is willing to spend commuting each day. Sometimes I laugh at people talking about spending an hour getting to work in the morning. Ive lived in 3 American cites at different stages and was always at least an hour from work. But it is, like I said, very individual. That said, I prefer living back home and complaining about houseprices than being stateside and not having any fallback should things go tits up, go fiqure!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,392 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Why not? After ourselves, they're the people we know best, closest in cultural terms. Whether we like it or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭manonboard

Yes self employed counts. There are a few different self employed types over here i think. I'm a 'freelancer'

Usual IT contractor type of gig. I'm saving a small fortune compared to my previous tax set up in Finland/Ireland.

And in my case I would have only a few miles to travel to the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Captain Barnacles

The pandemic is over - according to Spanish PM anyway, it is now endemic.

My advice is come to Spain, I live here, have done for 15 years and the contrast is amazing.

No feral kids roaming about terrorizing people (no govt. benefit here ... can't afford kids ... don't have 'em).

Very friendly people - and a fantastic health care system.

I don't need to sell the climate aspect :D.

I do complain about some things, but overall much better then Ireland (But I love going home for holidays - outside Dublin of course)

So if you can come over and keep your Irish job and salaries .... as a Los Angeles taxi driver once said to me : ...

COME ON OVER BROTHER!!!

• Advertisement

Have many of you emigrated alone or was it with someone?

The U.K. will see living standards decline this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭I see sheep

50K is a pittance for a family in Dublin paying rent. It’s not that great to be single and renting either. Down the country or living at home is reasonable enough.

You would have to sell the climate aspect to me. I know it's a big country, so it is likely there are variations. Which are the most suitable areas for a fair skinned person.

Can you elaborate

The semi-permanent restrictions here are a decline in living standards even though people do not acknowledge that.

Surely you will need to hide from the sun at certain times of day.

Northern Spain is more temperate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 267 ✭✭boardlady

😂 I have to agree again. I'm living rurally in the south west and am a 'blow-in'. Granted, I blew in a long time ago but I have fully integrated! 😁 Yes, some call it clannish- others call that community. I also find the weather down here great. The scenery on a winter's day with any bit of sunlight is just a sight to behold!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,354 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Immigrants. They’re not ex-pats. They’re immigrants.

Advertisement