Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Signed on, online. Given JSB instead of JSA?

• 09-01-2022 1:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi all

I used the mywelfare site to sign on online and been given JSB which is a rate of around 160 a week. Obviously this a lower than the JSA payment

There wasn't any option on the mywelfare site all you could do is submit an application with basic information

I'm not knowledgeable about welfare benefits I'm just wondering why this might have happened

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,286 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Were you earning less than €300 a week in your previous employment?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 helpwiththisplz

No was more than that but that job only lasted for 6 weeks, before that I was on JSA. I waited the 9 weeks before applying again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,015 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

I am a little bewildered, firstly I'm assuming you waited 9 weeks because you left last job voluntarily 🤔, that was the first error, even though you would be penalised for 9 weeks, you should have applied immediately and be on the system and not break contributions history, albeit not in receipt of any payment for 9 weeks. You also mentioned you were on JSA prior to that job and the length of time you were on that may be relevant, for example were you in employment in 2019/2020, here's why I ask....

Without knowing your work/contributions history and the fact you only submitted basic info, at a guess they've awarded you JSB based on contributions assessed from tax year 2019 (if you applied before 31st December 2021, or tax year 2020 if after 31st December 2021) , in essence for the purposes of assessing JSB they work off tax year, 2 years previous to claim.

If it was JSA you were actually applying for, it's means tested and a lot more information required, bank statements etc. So I'm assuming you applied for JSB.

Based on the amount you've been awarded, again at a guess you were earning up to €299 per week in 2019/2020, that's were the €160 is coming from albeit it should be €162.90 if I am correct in what's been assessed and awarded.

I honestly don't know how you resolve this and it's likely you need to talk directly to your local intro centre. I'm also not sure if you can choose what benifit your on, can you change to JSA for example.

The current rates for JSB attached

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/unemployed_people/jobseekers_benefit.html#l62fd2

Again, I'm really only guessing what's happened based on info supplied.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

Advertisement