Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Power supply for remote broadband installation

Options
  • 09-01-2022 10:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi Everyone

I have read and searched this forum but havent been able to find recent information for power supply for a remote broadband installation. If anyone can share specifications of products they have used I'd really appreciate it.

Bit of background might help! Our only broadband option is the usual eir wired broadband. We have tested various dongles from other providers but upload speeds arent any better than eir and they are more weather dependent so have stuck with what we have. We have now found a provider who has a mast that provides very dependable broadband, with good speeds and provide a good service. To get access we need line of sight to the mast but the bad news is that a hill in front of our house blocks our view. We own the land near our house and can see the mast remotely from one of our fields and can also see our house so with a power supply the problem would be solved by connecting remotely and then beaming to the house. The distance and cost for electricity is too much and Ive looked into a battery with solar recharging but cant find product specs and installation details.

If anyone has remote power supply for broadband installation / monitoing camera installation or anything else like this I'd be so happy to hear the details.

Thanks so much

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,125 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

More detail needed:

1.Who is "good provider"? If it is mobile ISP - have you tested with proper router(as oppose dongle) and external antenna.

2.distance to "good spot"?

3.distance to mast(s) from your home location, ISP(s) in the area?

4.what speeds(DL/UL) you have with eir line, compare to mobile at your home location? What speed would be your goal?

Power to remote location could be delivered by PoE but limited distance. Router with external antenna might increase reception. LOS is preferred but not always mandatory, depend.

Decent mobile broadband , with good equipment, achievable over 4km and even 7.5km to the mast. Have both, with speed range up to 200DL/50UL, again will depend on many factors specific to your location and ISP(s) in the area.

Have you visit Midband forum for more info on mobile broadband.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 HappyGreen

Hi Smuggler

Thanks for replying. We are very confident of supplier as a number of neighbours moved from eir to them as a supplier and all are very happy, I dont have the numbers involved but all have said they wont go back. We are the only ones not having line of sight so have been trying to find a workaround as everyone else can install the dish on their house. Our house is 400 metres as the crow flies to where the dish will be installed - only thing stopping us is the power supply to run the dish. Not much power required but its too expensive to run a power cable. Do you have any experience of installing a remote power supply to supply antennae / dish for broadband.

Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

90% chance its Imagine. Wouldnt go that way myself.

Our house is 400 metres as the crow flies to where the dish will be installed

Too far to do PoE. Run a 12v supply from a transformer in the house, you can fit it the same way you'd fit an electric fence as there's no safety issues with 12v DC.

We have tested various dongles

A dongle is to real setup as a tractor is to a tricycle. Depending on the area I'd be setting up a real antenna on your chimney, at CAT10 or above router and gobbling up three's data for 20e/month.

...and Imagine in most instances have their masts/cell on same towers as mobile providers, so once power present up on the hill all ISP's on that tower will become avail to more or less same degree.

However, if it is Imagine, you have no chance to test on your own, only rely on "word"

Anyway, there is no "wireless" power transition to that distance that i would be aware of . As per post above (Hi Ed E) - PoE(still require cable) is out.

Running 12vDC is an idea, but wouldn't low voltage degrade over 400m , could be unusable. With any router you will need at least 1000mA +. Original power adapters come rated for 2000mA for latest models. See here for 12V DC / 24V AC Max Cable Distance Voltage Drop Chart. More research needed there or consult electrician.

If avail, borrow proper 4G router and do test @ your home location with different mobile provider SIM's

Mobile mast locations https://siteviewer.comreg.ie/#explore any within 4 km distance should be more or less workable. Even on 3G should get you 25DL/15UL

Hi everyone thanks

Im not the installer so my terminology might not be as clear as all of you need so sorry about that. The good news is that it isnt imagine as they are available locally also but reputation isnt great. The provider is Digital Forge in west cork and they have a great reputation for supply, reliability and customer service. Installation of connection to the pole with line of sight to the mast is arranged and connection to the house from there is arranged - whats missing is a low voltage power supply to power the receiving dish on the pole. Installing power from the house isnt an option due to cost and distance. A battery with a solar panel re-charging it would be ideal set-up and I wondered if anyone here had a re-charging battery set up. Might also try a farming forum as there must be a solution for remote powering of electric fences for example. The answer is out there just to find it 😁

• Advertisement

OK. Not trying to talk you from it.

As long you understand their T&C's. 20GB per month considered exceeding unless you pay top price plan.

http://www.digitalforge.ie/wpwww/acceptable-usage-policy/

Hi Smuggler Im ok with the T&Cs and 20GB is sufficient for us so no issue there thanks

Just to throw it out to everyone again - Has anyone used a remote power supply with solar charging in any situation - any info appreciated thanks so much

A uTube video uses the same amount of data on an iPhone as it does on a big screen TV.

The only people I know who refer to Youtube as utube can barely form an email....

^__^

Brendan does the tech, Jane does the C/S. Real mom and pop operation that. Looks like Mt Gabriel + a couple repeaters. Smuggs do they have any licensed spectrum? I'd much rather 1800Mhz than 2.4/5.

Hi All

I have done due diligence on the supplier and am happy to go with it so no questions in that respect if the power issue can be resolved. Admittedly Im new to this board so may be missing something but wonder if anyone can share any information about remote power options rather than the supplier.

Thanks everyone

😏

@ED E have no idea re lic. Agree with you, but just dont want to drag thread away from its original question re power source - OP seam devoted despite cost either from grid or reliable solar system.

@HappyGreen Perhaps you could try to address you solar system question in some electrical/renewable forum as well.

• Advertisement

You could try something like this:

But really even that isnt enough.

Lets say:

30W for the receiver from ISP

16W for P2P endpoint to relay to the house.

So we're saying more like 50W + the capacity to charge the system during the day. So I'd be buying 200W of panels.

So that + batteries will probably be your winner. + Weatherproofed storage and poles etc. You'll need capacity to cover probably 5 days when its so dark that output is greater than input. Unless you want to drive down a spare batt every few days.

Seriously, a 10ft pole on your chimney....you don't want to hear it.

Hi Smuggler I'll try there as well thanks. Im interested in the other points both you and ED E raise but IT isnt my area so I cant comment or answer the questions even tho id love to. At the moment I know that they have many happy work from home customers where I live and I work permanently from home and have lags during the day with eir so wanted to see if we could connect. Unfortunately the ice age dropped a great big hill between us and the mast so havent had the luxury of easy installation like everyone else ....shame. The search continues for an answer, have some across this as well so will see if it might get us there https://www.agridirect.ie/product/high-power-solar-fencer--pe403s

Once you are open for discussion...

If you share your nearest town name(approx distance to it) you could get advice what mobile ISP's, services should be available in the area and further suggestions.

Advertisement