Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Best Electricity Plan for new EV Owners

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭CoBo55

He's talking through his hole, unless of course EI have already activated your SM from being with them previously, but I don't think you're in this situation. They really make it difficult to get a D/N meter, I've been trying for almost a year now and still no meter😡😡😡

• Registered Users Posts: 13,500 ✭✭✭✭fits

I’m not sure I would bother trying to get a day night meter installed now. They’ll be swapped out again soon enough. And rates aren’t as favourable anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Dozz

Have never been with EI thankfully and definitely haven't activated the smart meter.

Ive emailed ESB networks there directly to see what the story is. Will see what they come back with. Painful stuff altogether.

I wonder what would happen if I tried to sign up to the Day/Night Community plan through the weblink? Would it default to the flat 24 hour rate???

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭electricus

The Flogas community plan makes getting D/N worth it for at least another year.

had my meter changed last year after a load of hassle with my then supplier who told me it couldn’t be done. Meanwhile, ESB Networks said no problem once they received a request from the supplier. It took threats of CRU complaints and withdrawal of consent to use my smart meter data to eventually get it sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭CoBo55

I rang esbn and they told me there was no more meter changes until the new meter came out in September. As soon as you enter your mprn the day night rates get greyed out. I emailed Flogas chasing up the meter switch but haven't heard anything yet, in fairness they will reply or they might ring me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭electricus

They’ll just call you back to say you need a night meter for that plan and offer you 24hr instead. Your current supplier needs to make the request before you move.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭fafy

Flogas Community Day/Night rate, is 33.38 Day 14.75 Night inc vat, per unit, that night rate, is less than half, the best 24 hour rate, currently available(which is Flogas community 29.99 cent inc vat), and about a third of the 24 hour rate, on most other plans out there.

So while night rates have indeed increased, it still makes fiscal sense, if you have 50 % + night rate usage.

Savings depends on ones usage, of course, but someone using 7,500 units per annum, 50 % of which are on a night rate(for many, it is a higher % on night rate), will save a minimum of 3,750 units at a saving of 15 cent approx per unit, thats €572 per annum, a very decent saving, even if you adjust this saving, for the higher day rates(33.38 - 29.99 on flogas community rate) that are on d/n tariffs, it is still roughly €445 per annum.

Standing charges with Flogas Community are the same for 24 hour, or day/night meter, both are €302.92 annually, inc vat.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 JamesLenihan

I have just entered this yearly rabbit hole as my contract with Bord Gáis is up on the 12 of September. We had a new meter installed a few months back and got an EV last month. Am I right in saying that all the EV smart plans are rubbish at the moment? Those peak time rates are a killer. Unless you’re doing serious mileage and washing and drying all your clothes in the middle of the night they don’t seem to make much sense? We have about 9 electricity providers in Ireland and that’s the best they can come up with! If you look at the UK they seem to have much better rates but I suppose it’s a bigger market with more competition. Thinking il just go for the Flo gas 30c deal and be done with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭Dayor Knight

It might be worth looking at the weekender plan from EI. 'Free' usage on Saturday (or Sunday) from 8 am to 11 pm, then 24 hour rate of about 45c during week (depending on discount). Details here: https://www.electricireland.ie/switch/new-customer/price-plans?priceType=D - Swipe to page on the right.

It all depends on your own usage profile, and how many kms a week you will be driving. Working out very well so far for us - charge the car every Saturday and that usually lasts for the week. You can potentially move some of your other discretionary usage to Saturday (or Sunday).

No one right answer for everyone, but it may be useful to have a look at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,074 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Just over a month left on my Energia EV plan so time to keep a closer eye on everything. On target for 9,000 units over the 12 months and 65% usage at night so the FloGas plan will be my most likely landing point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,971 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

With the EV you'll need to get a day night meter installed then sign up for the Flogas community deal before it's gone.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 6,251 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Actually, we should keep the free shite. Those plans had more expensive rates and people blindly tend to go for the free rubbish, despite the annual cost clearly being up front and more expensive. It would offset the cheaper rates for the rest of us.

Just like cashback mortgages. You get €5,000 up front but the higher interest rate ends up costing €30,000...

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Summer2020

I don't think there's any talk of the flogas deal finishing is there? My contract with energia is up on 23rd September on excellent rates 7c night 29c day. I'm loath to switch to flogas for at least another 2/3 weeks to maximise this deal with energia but if I thought it's about to finish I'd probably take the hit.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭handpref

The deals come and go- I switched early to get the community deal and Energia were threatening me in a passive aggressive way about the €50 penalty, when I told her I’d be €850 a year better off including the penalty she said she didn’t blame me for bailing early 😬

Fingers crossed first bill has no nonsense ..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭joe1303l

It might be safer to switch now for the sake of a few weeks. You could always “adjust upward” your final meter reading to Energia. That way you get the next few weeks at your current rate but you’ll have to pay for it a few weeks in advance. 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 13,500 ✭✭✭✭fits

I had my meter read shortly after last switching so would be wary of that. Also the trend in energy prices is downwards so I wouldn’t panic about that community deal going just yet. Hope I’m not wrong!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭joe1303l

I’ve the added inconvenience of having the meter inside the house...., handy for this type of scenario.

If I have 300 approx in credit in my energia account , will they transfer that to flogas ? Most of it would be government energy credit which I obviously don't want to lose.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,083 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

I had heard they don't refund anything that's government credit but hopefully that's not the case

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 Herewegoagain23

This plan wouldn't be for everyone from Pinergy but three hours EV rate at 5c more than makes up for the 46c day rate. I have solar panels so my day usage is reduced but the majority of my usage isn't during the day anyways and it was costing me 42c before with Electric Ireland So while I used 27 kmh it only cost me 3.06. I also get more in FIT payments at 25c compared to 21c previously.

Whats the name of that plan?

I only found a smart plan, with a 3 hour ev rate of 6.92 inc vat. And 46.62 inc vat, for the other 21 hours.

Apologies It's a cooline offer, I assume it's like the flogas BWG. So it's 5c for 3 hours with a 100e credit.

https://pinergy.ie/home-electricity/cooline/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,765 ✭✭✭ablelocks

do you have to call to get actual rates / sign up?

edit : this is the info from that page : sounds interesting alright

Pinergy Lifestyle - with €100 Credit

Gain the knowledge and power to see your electricity use with data updates every 30 minutes. Pay the same amount every month. Not Pay as You Go, but Level Pay on our App. Easy! 

Special Cooline offer - €100 Sign up credit on all Lifestyle Plans

Work from Home – 30% Discounted Tariff from 9am to 5pm weekdays

Family Time –40% Discounted Tariff from 6pm to 10pm everyday

Drive Time (Electric vehicle charging tariff) – 5c unit rate tariff from 2am to 5am everyday

24 month contract

100% renewable electricity

edit 2 - looks like each of the plans in bold might be separate plans - i doubt they can be mixed

• Registered Users Posts: 17,971 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

100% renewable 🤣

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Yeh there's 3 separate plans Drive time seems to be the only one with a discount through that cooline link but I was able to sign up online and received email with rates. I'm pleasantly surprised with the app after moving from EI. Its level pay so automatically set me up for 298e a month but my app is projecting usage of less than 100e a month so I'm assuming they will reduce that payment. I haven't wanted to contact them and bring attention to the offer or ask me questions! Either way the over payment will go towards later bills in the winter

• Registered Users Posts: 65,377 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I'd be very interested in that plan with 6.35c incl. VAT for 3 hours per day if that is unlimited

With a typical Irish 12kva connection, you could draw about 14.7kW*3h*365 days = 16MWh per year at this rate

A median house uses about 4MWh per year, an EV about 3MWh per year, hot water about 2MWh per year

Obviously you need to be able to pull that sort of power from the grid, so you would need to charge the car every night in that time slot, while heating your water and charging up your large battery with a powerful inverter. Hey sounds like my setup 😁

You could buy a few cheap storage heaters that were used in the 80s and 90s and nobody wants anymore and heat those up as well in winter, only to release the heat then during the day. 6.35c for electricity heating is a lot cheaper than heating with gas or oil...

Pinergy seem to be All 2 year contracts, and the main rate, is in excess of 46 cent in all cases, might suit those with PV depending on usage.

Theres no good getting 40to 50% off, an 80 cent rate, which seems to be the case here. Its all about unit rates, not the % off.

My average rate on a Flogas Community d/n would be under 23 cent, but would be in excees of 30 cent on any of these Pinergy plans.

Agreed all about your average rate. And with this plan, my average rate would be very close to that 6.35c 😁

2 year contract wouldn't bother me, for a €50 penalty you can switch.

• Advertisement

I just sent them an email:

"Hi I am getting a smart meter fitted soon. I am interested in your Drive Time plan. According to this: https://pinergy.ie/home-electricity/cooline/

It is welcome credit of €100 and charge of 5c (presumably incl. VAT) for all electricity use between 2AM and 5AM - is this for unlimited use? Is the 5c charge fixed for the entire contract?

How much is the standing charge (incl. VAT) per year for an urban customer? 

I understand it's a 2 year contract. What is the penalty for breaking the contract early and moving elsewhere?

Kind regards"

Advertisement