Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Best Electricity Plan for new EV Owners

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭cromelex

It's actually not that bad. I moved into a property with a smart meter and have been using the bord gais ev plan since. From 2-5am you'll get 22kWh into the battery, that's around 125km to 150km of range. Currently paying 10.41 cent per kWh for that period, but it's coming down to 8.8 cent.

Depending on the needs, this can be more than enough. It sure works for me.

People really ought to get a spreadsheet and do the math based on their usage. It can vary wildly, and not always intuitively.

I don't think that blanket advice is correct advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭staples7

• Registered Users Posts: 17,957 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Definitely need the 9 hours to charge the EV otherwise you're having plug in every night.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,063 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

I'm all for DN, and the 9 hrs.

But playing devil's advocate here.

For easy counting, say your night rate is 20c now. Vs the cheapest on the market which is pinenrgy at 5c on their special offer rate [cooline], it is only 3 hrs though, which is only about 100-120km. - day rate is about 45c though.

If that does suit your daily commute. - are you willing to pay 4x for your commute just to plug in your car when you pull up at the house every evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Herewegoagain23

Hey I signed up before you, I didn't get the 5c plus vat and welcome bonus. It's 6.35 but still happy with it as although I don't have a battery I have solar panels and usage is 70% EV rate. I've emailed them as I got acceptance letter of the plan/rate but it hasn't been applied and it is being escalated. Did you just get it automatically or have to ring them up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,324 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

That's the standard Pjnergy offering. You should have signed up for one of the community offerings! €100 welcome credit and 5c / kWh rate incl. VAT

• Registered Users Posts: 6,352 ✭✭✭con747

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Herewegoagain23

Yep I did, I posted it here then, was a Coolmine offer. I got the email to say welcome with the 100e and rate. It didn't match with the bill though. I emailed but its akin to ringing flogas and asking about the bwg rate. I did ask though how much cancellation would be if I wasn't put onto the plan that I signed up to.

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭Nuphor

Dumb question, but how do you actually sign up? I assume you have to call because its pretty non obvious on the website.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭cromelex

0.4082 day, 0.5692 peak and 0.3079 night.

They're not great, obviously, but again my point was that it is worth doing the actual math based on your usage.

Bord Gais have announced price cuts now, so it is going to 0.345 day, peak 0.481, night 0.2602, ev 0.088.

If I compare it to Pinergy's 0.4139 day and 0.0545 ev rate, and a lower standing charge, I am still better off with Bord Gais (roughly 185 euro a year).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭sh81722

No smart meter here and the EV day/night offers have really dried up as everybody reports.

To calm my nerves (and to give me some time to expand our solar generation) I just renewed for another 12 months with Energia, who, after a small push, agreed to supply us at 18.40c non-fixed at night when the prices change from 3rd Oct. We have only used grand total of 1 day unit since July and a couple of thousands of night units so the night is the only thing that matters to us. I think the day rate agreed was around 38c.

Was going to jump ships to somewhere else but as far as I can tell the current supplier was competitive and least amount of hassle. Looking forward getting the smart meter sometime over the next 12 months combined with some cheap EV rate but this is what it is. I don't think I'll be getting any more 38 Euro bimonthly bills anytime soon with this new pricing and our current PV generation. Winter is coming.

Post edited by sh81722 on

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Niceday20

If you are with Energia, and get a smart D/N meter, Energia have a Smart Drive plan with rate of 9.59c before any discount for 02:00-06:00, and standing charge is also lower.

I, like you, have vertually no day consumption, so this looks an attractive option to me and asked to be put on smart meter rollout list.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭sh81722

That's actually a nice 4 hour window. Good to know, thank you for the heads-up.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,335 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

There is a 1000kWh limit per two months billing cycle

After that the rate goes up by 1-2c (can't remember exactly)

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Niceday20

Sorry, I missed stating that, which is "Above 1000 kWh usage every 2 months 11.72c/kwh"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭1874

Pinergy lifestyle for Cooline

• Special Cooline offer - €100 Sign up credit on all Lifestyle Plans
    • Work from Home – 30% Discounted Tariff from 9am to 5pm weekdays
    • Family Time –40% Discounted Tariff from 6pm to 10pm everyday
    • Drive Time (Electric vehicle charging tariff) – 5c unit rate tariff from 2am to 5am everyday
    • 24 month contract
    • 100% renewable electricity

I cant tell who this is specifically targeted at looking at the link? but looking it up, surely they know when you input your Eircode? nor what the 6-10pm tariff is they are saying is 40% off OR the 30% off 9-5 times. The "Working from home" and "family time" have different rates, it looks like a collection of rates from different plans?

Is it all contained within the one plan?

So, not sure if this is something anyone can get or just maybe if they don't query it, I just signed up to Energia so within my 14days cooline off period!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭Mr Q

I don't know, that's why Im asking, it's in the link and says what I pasted into my post, which seems to be an offering of discounted rates from various lifestyle plans, so I'm not sure if each reduction is all in included in one special offering or its just that deduction off each specific plan.

Link was in post 3518 https://pinergy.ie/home-electricity/cooline/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭Mr Q

Ok, looks like I'll stick with Energia, some ok offering if those plan rates could benefit a persons household use, but they wouldnt really suit me (I thought it was some all in fantastic offer). Individually they might be for someone working from home and doesnt have as much or any solar PV, but thats when the least of my need is. The EV plan is what Im looking for which is better with Energia and that "offer" is no different from what they display on their website you provided for the EV plan anyway. Their unit price for "all other times" on any plan is fairly steep imo. It doesn't seem clear if anyone can be offered these plans and hope for the best they dont end up tie-ing themself into a contract (for 24mths with pinergy) and not actually get the community rate. 24 mths is a bit long when rates may be still on their way down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Still not great those Pinergy rates.

5c for 3 hours is usable, but 41c at all other times makes that difficult to swallow for non-solar users.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭snor

Agree. Even with my EI smart plan with the 2-4am EV rate (12c ish) , The 11-8am night rate is still good (20c ish)and have the fully battery kicking in from 8am.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Nuno

I've been looking at the pinergy community offer and I guess I didn't realise til just now that they use an Estimated Average Billing system. I was told that the first 3 bills are based on the average irish user (€329.55 per month). As I've got Solar PV installed, my avg usage is very low and I'd like not to go through 3 bills before the real avg usage for comes through.

Just wondering what your experience was during the early stages of the contract.. Have you had to go through this or did you find a way for them to re-estimate your usage a bit earlier?

Also, is the billing cycle once per month or once every two months?

I've only started, haven't got a bill yet. But if your actual bills are much lower than your level pay payments, the latter get adjusted and if you have overpaid, they will refund you. Check out the posts from @irish chris - he has been doing this for the guts of a year now

My own plan is that once I receive the first bill, which will likely be negative, to ring them and try get the level pay payment adjusted. To about zero ideally 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭CoBo55

I thought it was 298 they robbed, sorry, took from a new customer... There's no way the average bill is 329 per month. According to bonkers 4200 units are used per year 4200×0.40/12=€140, that's taking unit price to be 40c. Why anyone would consider having this shower as their energy provider is totally beyond me😡

I honestly don't see people's problem with the €300 or so you "prepay" for a few months. This is not theft, they don't rob you, if you haven't used it, they will give it back to you. Unless of course they've gone bankrupt.

What is beyond me is that some people seem totally irrational about this and seem to cut off their nose to spite their face. Go with a different supplier that will cost them hundreds more per year. Your money, your choices, if you have the extra money to waste, fine by me. Personally I'd rather use the savings to create more savings next year (bigger system, etc.) or to go out for dinner, or whatever. And not spite my face 😂

I agree, but the elephant in the room is that not everybody has the spare cash to front up and wait for it to be given back.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭CoBo55

That's it exactly I think they've a bloody cheek tbh, they'd be earning a nice bit of interest on all those 298's or is it 326's?

Credit union loan of a few hundred quid? You'd pay it back within a few months and then you'll be in the money forever going forward

Or has anyone actually tried reason with Pinergy to get that figure down? Lot of bitching about it here for sure!

Reminds me a bit of the bad times in the recession when people had pre-pay meters fitted. So they could "control" their spend. And probably ended up paying more for their bills than before (because the unit rates were atrocious) while sometimes having no electricity as it had run out and they hadn't got round to buying a new credit code yet or were waiting to get paid. That is the definition of real poverty. These things always hit the poorest people the most. Which greatly frustrates me as their is no need for it at all.

• Advertisement

I'm not bitching! It's just that some people in the food chain don't have the money or maybe even the credit union to go to due to for whatever reasons, some of us are lucky enough to be able to do it.

Advertisement