Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Best Electricity Plan for new EV Owners

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,332 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 21,958 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Yup, same as going to MCC12/MCC16 from MCC01. That's the whole idea of RM108 meters, to bring MCC02 to the same spot that MCC01 is at, so that customers can change from D/N legacy tariffs to DST smart tariffs without thousands of isolated MCRQs

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Fishy1

Well looks like we're getting another €450 donation towards the energy bills from the government

I somehow suspect there'll be no more price cuts for a year now 😬

• Registered Users Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭CoBo55

• Advertisement

Meter change request. The comms sent by supply companies to networks via their intranet linkups. Back in my day it was a unix based system of codes etc. I suspect its all changed now but the code for changing mcc and meter was mcrq.

Cheers👍. I was dead set in getting a D/N meter but seeing the way things are going I'll stay with my 24hr fixed tariff until it expires next April. The energia 2to6 Tou plan looks tempting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭baldshin

Got the 20% and €50 from Energia after initiating the switch to Airtricity, thanks to whoever mentioned this tip in the thread!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,116 ✭✭✭✭KCross

@graememk as you said, when I actually pulled the trigger and started the switch to another provider they then called me to stay and offered the 20% and €50 cashback.

The previous rep "swore" it wasn't available anymore and wouldn't give it to me prior to the switch.... either a sales tactic or he genuinely didn't know. Sales tactic I'd say.... they want to test our resolve!

Anyway, its worth noting for anyone else that's looking for better offers on d/n rate (as above, 36.10/17.32inc vat is what I got). Its horrendous that the night rate is now more than I used pay on day rate not long ago! 😫

• Registered Users Posts: 9,104 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Too much profit to be made from not cutting prices

• Registered Users Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

And it won't go down now they know we're all getting another handout...

I think a big chunk of it is coming from the windfall tax which seems bizarre

If the generators had foregone some of their profits and allowed prices to go down then they wouldn't have had their profits taxed away, and homeowners wouldn't be demanding a bailout

To my knowledge the generators all demand a price but the most expensive price is the one that's paid to all generators

So the wind farm gets the same price per kWh as the natural gas or oil plant. So when the price of natural gas or oil goes up so too does the unit price of wind effectively

It means that your electricity price (even if your consumption is 100% renewable) goes up when the prices of fossil fuels goes up and the government take a windfall tax to pay the customers a bailout.

If that's not baffling enough, most of the generators are owned by the ESB, which in turn is owned by the taxpayer so the government is effectively taxing the taxpayer to pay the €450 subsidy on electricity bills for the taxpayer...

And all because they decided to privatise the market back in the late 2000's

Anyone know what the unit prices were with waterpower for September?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,939 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

ESB operate in a regulated market as a generator their role in the market is the same as any other and they will be paid the last kWh price. As a state owned body they return excess profits to the government via a dividend. Over the last 10 years €1.5 Billion in dividends has been sent to ESB's shareholder (the government of Ireland).

Yes, all very true, I find it a crazy situation though

• Registered Users Posts: 9,300 ✭✭✭markpb

If my limited understanding of the market is right, the majority of ESBG’s power came from gas burning stations which were among the most expensive of the pool? If that’s the case, they’ve quite an influential role in setting the price of the last kW. And if they’re leading the market, the impressive profits and dividends isn’t a positive thing, it’s just a transfer of money from tax payers to the government.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,939 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Of about 2.8MW of generation capacity 1.8MW of that comes from gas, they aren't making excess profit from that. The other 1MW of hydro and wind is where the excess profit is coming from.

There's a failure at an EU level in how the electricity market works, but it's not under the control of ESB to change the way the system works thanks to the regulated market. It's much better for us that the excess profits are being returned to general government funds as a dividend instead of going to Blackrock and other institutional investors as they do when SSE makes the same excess profits.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,324 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Is it relevant? They aren't open to new customers at the moment.

Just to see what way prices are going, that's all I wanted to know. How are you getting on with Pinergy?

Making lots of money with all this good weather 😁

Looks like I can easily keep both EVs fully topped up within the 3 hours, but need to have either car plugged in every night really. Also have hot water being charged for the full 3 hours every night. The rest of my "bandwidth" goes to battery charging, which provides more than enough for what I need. Having some small technical issues in my setup, which are preventing me from making the very most financially out of the setup, but doing very well. Thanks for asking!

That's a lot of Units in 3 hours, the tails must be nearly melting by 5am🔥how many units can you cram in in 3 hours? Have you had any bills yet?

Internal fuse is 63A, which is standard for a 12kVA connection. Zappi / eddi determine how much they can take based on my connection and keep everything safe 😀 In practice it seems to be a bit about 14kW, so in the 3 hours I take up to 42kWh from the grid

Not had a bill yet, but they did collect a €330 level pay payment (even more than what others have reported as I have 5 people on the bill)

12kva connection can safely sustain 14-16kW depending on voltage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 dredging007

Hi All,

I have done up an excel that i used to review the best plan for me considering the best plan for me considering i am have solar installed in November, have one EV and plan to get a plug in hybrid for my wife early next year.

Hopefully its some use to others.

Tab 1 - Usage - My usage over a period of time to break down by electricity periods my percentage used. If you using this you can work out yours and just plug your annual usage and rough percentages in the blue cells. Don't judge my usage, i have a habit of leaving the oven on over night!!

Tab 2 - PV Production. I used tow calculators online to determine what i can expect from my solar panels. Then there is an account for the potential variable ratio of usage vs feed in tariffs. If your differ you can just change the figure in the blue box (or put in zero if you have no PV)

Tab 3 - EV Charging- Based on an assumed mileage per year I worked out how may kWh the EV car will require. I then do a rough cal to work out the difference to what my previous ICE car cost per annum in fuel (ignoring servicing). Blue cells can be adjusted to suit your inputs.

Tab 4 - Energy plan analysis - This takes all available plans pricing (rural only - sorry) and applies them to the power requirements from Tab 1 to determine the total annual cost per plan (Column L). It then adds the cost of the charging for EV (column O) at night. It then considers the benefit of day usage (reducing the day rate total cost) and benefit for feed in tariffs (lowering bill). As per tab 2 this is not clear (for me at least) so i have included a range. Please note this isn't perfect as the yellow cells have limited time periods applying to each. Also the green coloured tabs are manually added for me to highlight my best plans at each stage.

Tab 5 - Same as Tab 4 but with one EV and one PHEV

Tab 6 - Summary - Outlining where I was and where i might get to.

The above took about 3 hours. I came out as the Energia Smart Drive. I asked my wife what plan we should go with without giving her all the above and she came up with the same plan after 10 minutes on her phone!! As solace to my wasted time, she thinks its the best plan.....but i know. That's what i tell myself anyway.

If you spot any errors let me know :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭ColemanY2K

Right, I have a bit of a dilemma. I signed up in the summer to the Flogas Community offer and today ESBN installed an RM107 meter.

As i understand it these two are incompatible. I'm moving into the house shortly and was hoping to milk the 14c night rate but not sure what the craic is now. Any advice?

🌞 7.79kWp PV System. Comprised of 4.92kWp Tilting Ground Mount + 2.87kWp @ 27°, azimuth 180°, West Waterford 🌞

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,063 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

So they took out a day night and put in a smart meter with a blue cover?

When you press the button,

Does it go , time, A+, a+T2, a+T1, screen test, a-, r+, r-.

If it has a T 3 it's the wrong meter and I'd say get onto ESBN straight away.

The guy that done mine, specificly said that I'm getting a day night smart meter when he called.

There is reports of mislabeled rm108's as RM 107's but that's not confirmed yet.

• Advertisement

Did I get it right that you're moving house and the new house has a smart meter?

I think if you move then Flogas will put you on the equivalent smart plan. Can't remember what the rate was for the community offer

You'll probably need to ring them to find out

Advertisement