Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Best Electricity Plan for new EV Owners

Options
1161162163164165167»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭DaveByDavid

possibly, I think it’s very close either way, probably talking less than 100 difference.

Just depends on the night rates outweighing having a peak rate we didn’t before.

not sure how to guarantee the 3% off BG but either way I think it’s a pretty good deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Flogas 24c day / 12c night (9 hours).

Anyone beating that yet? Has been the standout for 2024 so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Bannerman1969

Check 1st post on previous page #166 - it's for a D/N meter

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭joe1303l

No, nothing to beat that if you need to fully charge a big battery EV overnight s few times a week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭John arse

• Registered Users Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭fafy

i’l export about approx 5,500 units this year, BG export rate is 18.50 cent, Energia is 24 cent, thats a €300 euro difference annually, so while BG smart EV rates with 33% discount are not bad, they are not great overall, for higher PV exporters, with batteries, allthough they may suit some setups.

Energia EV smart plan is also cheaper for standing charge by almost €90 inc vat. so thats a total of a €390 difference annuall.

even using 6500 night units on BG versus Energia, is only circa 1.60 cent difference or €104 difference annually. Even if Energia were to reduce their export rate by 4 cent to 20 cent, its still a better plan for me and has a more flexible 4 hours cheap rate window, versus 3 hours.

Will also check Pinergy Cooline which is 5.45 cent inc vat at night for 3 hours, has a 25 cent export rate, €283 annual standing charge inc vat, , and has €100 credit on signup.

Turns out the Bord Gais standing charge is 380 in rural areas which maybe makes sense why energypal thinks it's not the best deal.

Essentially it thinks going onto an Electric Ireland smart meter for 25.08c per kWh all times and 314 euro standing charge is better than:

Urban Day units (8am to 11pm excl. Peak) 24.47c

Urban Peak units (5pm to 7pm) 34.13c

Urban Night units (11pm to 8am) 18.45c

Urban EV units (2am to 5am) 6.24c

Standing Charge €380

With energypal though, it can only work off your recent electric patterns right? So we use a lot of electric during the day because we are on a 24 hour rate - so dishwasher, car charging, washing machine etc often get used during the day as we are on a flat rate plan.

If we work our electric use better the Bord Gais plan might be better despite energypal disagreeing?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,979 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I did my own spreadsheet as we've only had solar since March and just got the EV, so energypal's estimates would have been based on past patterns that were completely different.

Even allowing for that my spreadsheet suggested Energia would be slightly cheaper due the lower standing charge and higher FIT, but that doesn't account for any load shifting or change of usage patterns to take advantage of BGE's cheap night and EV rates and the difference was less than €70 over a year. As I'm an existing BGE customer and in contract, I'd have to pay €50 to break it so I went with BGE and will try to maximise usage of the cheap rates.

Unfortunately I couldn't see any way to get the 33% rate as I'm a) an existing customer and b) dual-fuel and that rate is electric only. Existing customer rate is 24% which is the same discount I was already on.

This is kind of my thinking, if we shift our energy useage into the night rates, surely we can get it lower than sticking on a flat rate.

Charging the car more often during 2am-5am for 6c and setting washing machines and dishwashers to finish at 5am would save a bit.

We are working from home and so have computers on all the time, but the day rate outside of 5-7pm is the same on both tariffs anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,137 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Since I went full EV last year I had it scheduled to charge at 11pm which helped keep energypal more accurate. There's very little to be saved moving a dishwasher or washing machine into the 2-5 slot, they can be quite annoying running at that time, compared to an EV they use very little. Keeping out of the peak and charging the car between 2-5 has made a big difference already to my usage. When I pay the final bill with Flogas and get fully settled with BG I think I'll save around 30- 40 every 2 months.

yeah fair enough, the car at a minimum should be enough to move onto the BG plan instead of EI I think.

Will be slightly inconvenient to charge more often but not a big deal.

Can still try and do more stuff at night generally.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,870 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

I was the same looking at my energy pal. I'm on a 24 hour rate so I plug the car in at any time. But with the BG EV rate I'll move those KWs to that late slot. Once solar is in I'll also try top up the battery then too and use that through the early morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭creedp

Not sure if Revenue will enforce its worth noting the income tax exemption for export is only €400 per person and will expire at end 2025. So the export rate is of limited value if you exceed the threshold and will be even of less value from Jan 26 when all income will be subject to marginal tax rate

• Registered Users Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭fafy

i am fully aware, we are a 4 person household, all working, so €1600 annual exemption per annum with 4 names on the bill, so its not a concern for me, and the context is export rates will definitely fall, so budgeting for around 20 cent per unit exported, in the medium term, going forward.

I would also expect the exemption to continue beyond 2025, due to the fact it is government and EU policy to encourage PV generation, and the amounts involved are also relatively small.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,137 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Nothing is too small for Revenue especially if it's an ordinary working person…

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

When the politicians come knocking make sure you bring it up for it to be kept going forwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 danb_2010

Do anyone know the unit rate offered by Flogas under the Certa or BWG affinity plans for selling back to their grid for those with solar systems? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Exiled Rebel

• Registered Users Posts: 10 danb_2010

Deleted

Post edited by danb_2010 at

• Advertisement
Advertisement