Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Best Electricity Plan for new EV Owners

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

The 30% off is if you go to smart meter along with direct debit or change to Electric Ireland from another provider?

Currently we are receiving our electricity from Electric Ireland using the regular meter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭fafy

No, these rates are for day/night rate meters on direct debit, rather than smart meters/24 hour meters

• Registered Users Posts: 6,239 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Not surprised with Electric Ireland, we're paying 25c or so for electricity on urban 24hr which isn't terrible. Although they did up their electricity twice last year after Summer...

Still haven't heard about my day/night meter getting put in to switch to Energia.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,955 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

The number of people doesn't matter. It's still a sinkful of water you're heating. Kettle and the sink have similar power elements afaik.

Maybe I'm thinking about it wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭eddhorse

So my contract just expired, time for a switch, Looks like Energia have the best 1 year day/night 23c/11c rate with standing charge of €296.

Anyone else got any hints?

Those Energia prices are very likely to increase in the short term. The August 1st Electric Ireland increased pricing, is about the same as those Energia prices, allthough standing charge is higher.

I’d wait a little, until the others announce their increases, which they will do in the coming weeks.

E.I. Day/night meter, including vat (30 % off offer day/night)

Day/night meter standing charges including vat:

It all depends on your annual usage, so you need to crunch numbers, based on real usage data, to get an accurate picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Thanks for the response, just going to have to do the dance, I have all the numbers on usage etc, the Zappi is handy for that kinda thing too.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Zenify

Don't think anyone has mentioned the Board Gais Smart meter EV package prices.

I just signed up yesterday, I got an email to say my EV has left the factory and it kicked me into gear.

I couldn't see this package online but I got it over the phone:

31 percent off standard electricity and 29 percent off gas.

all prices including vat

Day: 22.75

Peak: 31.72

Night: 17.16

EV (2am-5am): 5.80

Standing charge is €418 though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,007 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Are those rates you've listed including the 31% discount? My guess is they are and if I'm correct those rates are not good, especially the night rate.

Yes, they include the discount.

I was mostly concerned with the day rate and EV rate. I didn't know anyone else doing an EV rate for less than 5.8c?

The big problem with those “night boost” tarriffs, and i did look closely at them, is they only last 2 to 3 hours, i prefer the practicality, and better value, of :

9 hours on a consistent low night rate, of 11cent,

versus,

3 hours at 6 cent, and additional hours at 17cent, if one wanted to charge to fullin one charging session.

I can charge my EV to full, in one overnight charging session, but when you are on a night boost limited to 2 to 3 hours, you have to do 2 or more, charging sessions over a few nights to maximise it, definitely not for me.

That peak rate is very high. its 10 cent plus more, than what i am paying.

The EV rate is for 3 hours and the normal night rate is more expensive than a normal night rate.

Say it takes 8 hours to charge your car so on BG normal day/night meter the night rate is 11c rounded. So €6.16 (7KW*8Hrs*11c).

On your rate you get (7KW*5Hrs*17c)+(7KW*3Hrs*6c) = €7.21.

If you are doing a lot of milage each day it definitely wouldn't suit. I calculated it based on my charger speed of 7kw. Charging for 3 hours each night is 21kw. Which gives over 100km of range. That well covers me for my driving. Unless their is a flaw in my calculation?

The few times a month I go over 100km I didn't have an issue with it charging over 2 or more nights knowing I would have at least 100km the next day too.

Its really a marketing gimick, they push a headline rate of 6 cent in the marketing material, but in reality, its only available for 2 to 3 hours.

Electric Ireland night boost(smart meter), is only for 2 hours, the rates for the other 22 hours of the day are not even mentioned here:

But you are paying more for your day rate and night rate outside of those three hours so you're spending more to run your house daily.

I use very little at night for the night rate to impact it much. I thought the day rate was OK, how much cheaper are the day rates from others?

My Day Night meter with BG is 21.75c during the day and 10.88c during the night. The three hour window would never save me money.

Mine are similar to these.

26 % Off With EI

Since i switched in April, the best one i saw was with Electric Ireland 30 % off electricity

9 hours per day- Night rate @ 10.38 inc vat

15 hours per Day- Day rate @ 19.69 inc vat

These EI rates are increasing from August 1st (and all others likely to follow) to:

21.91 inc vat, Day rate

11.55 inc vat, Night rate

• Advertisement

Obviously, I don't know your power usage or have the time to calculate it all for you but I can't see how with average usage yours is cheaper.

Average house (without ev) uses about 11kw per day mostly during the day meter hours. Average EV per day is 15kw (guess) .

You're only saving 11c per day with your day rate and losing at least 75c for your EV charging (provided you don't do over 100km everyday) and have to extend into other night hours.

The average night hours taking into account ev rate and standard rate is 13.4c as its only 9 hours long and 3 of them are for EV.

Granted my calculation didn't take into account Peak rates but you would want to use a hell of a lot of power during those hours ro make it cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,193 ✭✭✭crisco10

Maybe it's just me but also the thought of having to plug in most days is pain if you ask me. I prefer just doing a full charge for 8 hours every 6 days or so rather than plugging most nights to charge for only 3 hours.

Also, if you have an electric hob or cooker, that peak rate will hit you bad!

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭ACAandCTA

Just out of contract now with SSE AIRTRICITY, must say it was great to get the e750 credit last year with the ID3 deal, but planning to switch now.

Energia look the cheapest on the basis that Electric Ireland price is increasing in August... But surely another energia price increase soon to bring them back above, so leaning towards EI.

Also, energia have an interesting caveat in their terms, any consumption over 3k day units and 2k night units in a bi monthly period will be charged at the standard (ie v high!) rate. Would never do 3k day units but have been close to 2k night units - we have heat pump and use our utilities at night,plus the ID3 - so bit of a watch out for me.

I see energia are 100% renewable (apparently) and EI are a mix including gas, would make me think energia to be a bit more sustainable (economically and environmentally)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,115 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Also, energia have an interesting caveat in their terms, any consumption over 3k day units and 2k night units in a bi monthly period will be charged at the standard (ie v high!) rate.

unless they’ve changed, the rate doesn’t go up to the full standard rate when you go over, it goes up a few cent.

They list the full rate in the T&C’s but you still get your % discount off that rate so it’s not as bad as it sounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭ACAandCTA

It says the following;

Rates advertised for Energia NightSaver customers apply to the first 3,000 day units and 2,000 night units per bi-monthly billing cycle. Units used above these thresholds will be charged at the standard rates of 36.48 (ex. VAT) / 39.76 (inc. VAT) cent per day unit and 17.5 (ex. VAT) / 19.08 (inc. VAT) cent per night unit.

On that reading I'd assume the discount isn't applied as it states a specific rate but you'd be well pressed to hit that usage.

I went for them anyway,so I'll keep an occasional eye on the meter during the winter!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,115 ✭✭✭✭KCross

I’ve been with energia a few times and I go over the 2000 on night rate and they applied the discount. I don’t think it has changed.

They list the full standard rate because there are so many different tariffs they can’t list every possible figure so they list the rate before discount.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭munsterfan2

Driving a 30KWh leaf and have a 7.5KWh battery which are both charged / topped up during the peak BG rate from 2 to 5 so my unit usage so far this month is

so the reduced rate for the 3 hours makes a big difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Sam the Sham

At present, by my reading, the best dual fuel rates are the Bord Gais "Best Dual Fuel" plan for those on day/night meters. They had a price increase in April. I'd assume that the EI price increases are going to lead to everyone else doing it, so I'd expect the landscape to change again.

Very hard to choose a provider when they keep leapfrogging each other! Here's a chart with the best dual fuel day night rates for each provider inclusive of VAT (with combined electric and gas standing charges) as of yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 moshaknks

Hi folks,

I'm getting s first EV in September and travel about 6-700km per week so I reckon I'll be charging twice a week. I'm on an electric Ireland plan at present that gives me 26% discount. I've four kids so use approx 700kwh per month so I'm just wondering is it a no-brainer to change to a day/night meter? I can't get my head around the figures.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Liam2021

Anybody know what the rural standing charge with Energia is on the day/night Meter

Advertisement