Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Best Electricity Plan for new EV Owners

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭John arse

More chance of elvis winning the grand national🏇🏇🏇!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,993 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Did they specifically say they'd get your meter changed? I thought you needed to get the swap done through your existing supplier. BG are still giving me the runaround, computer says no, blah blah blah, not returning phone calls... If energia would do it for me I'd be gone in a flash.

Didn't realise electric ireland had already increased prices in may and August-head melting😤😤😤!

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭mc2022B2TF

Your current supplier needs to request it but i switched to Energia yesterday who are now my "current" supplier - they can now request the meter switch (have been pre-approved by ESBN) and once the meter is changed i can avail of the EV rates - prob take about 10/15 working days from now.

However they confirmed i will be on the old ev rates once the switch is done which all in all is good news.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,392 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

@mc2022B2TF I'd be very interested in this also. If talking with Energia they agreed to take care the switch to d/n meter that would make it much simpler for me to switch. (got a 'smart' /rip-off meter at the moment)

• Advertisement

yep - ill be on their standard 24 rate until the meter is switched. which is fine - probably about 2 weeks. But they are looking after and covering the cost of the d/n meter replacing the smart/booby trap meter.

And on the EV rate as of yesterday fixed for a year once the switch is done.

At 27cent for the day rate, this once bord gais put up their prices will probably be the best 24 hour rate on the market. And then on top of that we can charge at night for 7cent odd

Jeez,those smart meters are as popular as the water meters were,nobody wants one and a big (expensive i assume)advertising campaign on at the moment to tell us all how much we need one,nuts?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

They will still force us into using them anyway, the way prices are going. The spin now is that part of the reason for a potential shortfall in supply is that customers have the cheek to want to eat their dinners between 5 and 7pm. We will be strong-armed (high peek priced) into using the smart meters so that we can dine for cheap at 2am instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭mailforkev

I presumed the smart meters would lead to some interesting, perhaps even innovative, tariffs like in other countries. Instead they just have similar, but slightly worse value, plans.

My day/night meter is being installed tomorrow. Hopefully Energia honour the old fixed rates that they agreed with me again this morning.

Why the smart meter can’t itself act as a day/night meter is another question.

My neighbour loves his smart meter,says it suits him down to the ground,he's a vampire👹!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,993 ✭✭✭CoBo55

If you never had a voluntary meter change before there's no cost involved. I hope they live up to their promise and don't give you the runaround. BG are a disgrace, I had it confirmed by esbn that I could change but there's no way they're going to change it it's very frustrating.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭plasterman

Went to sign up to Energia today, with the MPRN, meter reading etc, and it's increased! Frustrating. Assume they're keeping the old price for existing customers, it seems to be what they've been telling people.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,895 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

They didnt force us into water meters and I suspect they wont force us into smart meters either. There simply isnt the will for it. If there was, they wouldnt need to waste (our) money telling us by advertising how "good" they are

Can confirm the prices are fixed, so no price increase for 12 months from signup date.

Think even those new energia ev rates are gonna look like a bargain in a few months?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,392 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Called Energia and they said 'nope, we can't do that' about arranging the old meter to be taken out.

It seems bizarre that the smart meter for all it's 'smarts' can handle something simple like this (in truth it can, but the companies just see it as an opportunity to gouge exorbitant rates for the 'newness')

How are people getting in touch with ESBN to have the Smart Meter taken out? I'd rather not talk to BG, because they'll probably try to lock me in to a new contract (I'm out of contract at the moment).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,239 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Someone said a few posts ago your supplier needs to put in the request to change meters for you first but no harm in calling ESB yourself. If not call Energia and ask to speak to a supervisor/manager as they're blatantly ignoring your request.

yeah depends on who u talk to - first they said it would cost me 3k and there was no point as it would be replaced by a smart meter next year!

Asked him to speak with his manager and things changed from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭eagerv

Just changed to Energia about 10 minutes ago, had to break the contract with Bord Gais. Hopefully worth the €50.

Almost all our paid usage is night rate, with 2 EVs. 8.59c incl VAT/kWh is very attractive. Solar looks after the day and fills a small battery (4kWh) for the evening.

Very pleasant lady confirmed rates fixed for 12 months, one of her questions was where I heard about the deal. Told her Boards.ie. She laughed, saying there were about 20 or so in the last few days who said the same.☺️

Post edited by eagerv on

Just had a look at electric ireland's not so smart plans,scary stuff up around 45c(day)-25c(night)🙈🙈🙈

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭KildareP

I'd love to know:

1. How are Energia able to provide fixed rates this competitive
    2. Why they can't provide anything even remotely similar on their smart plans and avoid the hassle of meter swaps (their smart tariff rates are as bad as all other suppliers)
    3. That they aren't going to sign everyone up and then force a smart meter upgrade and automatic migration onto a smart tariff or cancel the contract (there is nothing to say they couldn't just pull the plan and let you move away if you don't like it, much like if a telecoms company ups rates mid contract they will release you early from a contract term but you can't hold them to the original price).

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Zurbaran

I rang Energia a few days back and they couldn’t find a slot for the meter change so told me to call back today. I did and signed up with the meter change being requested for Monday. I thought I was getting the older night rate but not sure now.. also they said that esb have the option to refuse the change from smart to day/night but it is very unlikely.

should I be contacting esb to make sure they will make the change?

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Mike2006

I rang them and they changed it the next day….

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Zurbaran

Just to clarify. You rang esb after Energia booked the change?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭sh81722

Our Energia Electric Car Plan contract of 12 months is coming to an end next month after becoming their customer last year. I suspect I'm not the only one who'd like to stay with them.

Did you have any problems starting a new 12 months contract with the EECP pricing as an old customer?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,023 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Nope renewed ours at the end of July, no issue

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Mike2006

Correct - I rang them to clarify that my provider had requested the meter upgrade and they booked me in there and then.

Mike

1- They are making a killing selling renewables to the grid right now.

2- Smart meters do not benefit the consumer. Suppliers get charged more by Networks for smart meters.

3- They could but this would be unprecedented in the supply market. Fixed price is quite common in commercial energy (I used to work in the sector) and the price is the price, unless the company goes bust or the fixed term ends. They will raise prices of course, but that only affects the variable rate and the new offering rate (so once your fixed term ends you have to refix at the new offered rate)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭KildareP

1. They get paid the same MWh rate for gas generators so they're seriously undercutting their retail side of the market if this is the case.
    2. Do they? I can't find anywhere to say this is the case, if you could show me that would be appreciated as I am genuinely curious to see why there is an across the board disparity between nightsaver and smart meter ToU tariffs.
    3. That's true but good luck trying to find any supplier willing to lock in at rates for commercial users that are that significantly lower than the rest of the market at the moment!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭UID0

2- Smart meters do not benefit the consumer. Suppliers get charged more by Networks for smart meters.

Not any more. Up until September 2021 the DUoS charges for smart meters was the same as for 24h meters (was 4.441 c/kWh). In September 2021, the charge was changed to match Day/Night meters (0.641/5.047 c/kWh). There is a separate peak times rate, but it currently is the same as day rate (5.047 c/kWh).

ESB Networks Statement of Charges

I don't know if there is a difference in the wholesale electrical price when the companies have to balance their purchases and customer usage in each half hour period as opposed to over the entire billing cycle.

Advertisement