Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Best Electricity Plan for new EV Owners

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭mc2022B2TF

• Registered Users Posts: 3,392 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

And i put my money on Elvis winning the Grand National. 🙄

Bord Gáis Energy latest to announce big price hikes (rte.ie)

Bord Gáis Energy has today announced a substantial increase in its residential gas and electricity prices.

The company has said that from 2 October, the average residential electricity bill will rise by 34% or €48.25 per month and the average residential gas bill will jump by 39% or €43.80.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭ec_pc

Bord Gais have announced 34% increase for Electricity, 39% for GAS. I have moved back to Energia today on the Electric Car Day Night meter fixed rate for 1 year. I always thought the day unit price for this tarrif was high, but it is only half a cent more expensive when the BG price increase kicks in at the start of October. Night rate from Energia is about 40% cheaper. Plus standing charge is 80 euro less. Bit of a no brainer, we use about 70% night rate and its all locked in at a fixed unit rate for 1 year.

Took 10 minutes, Owe BG €50 for early termination.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭eagerv

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭John arse

TOLD YA,saw it coming unfortunately🙈!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,993 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Do you already have a day night meter installed?

Getting one of these magic meters is becoming a major stumbling block for me😡

Some scary numbers on bord gais site now!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,631 ✭✭✭micks_address

yeah sure they all tracking the same rates in terms of increases.. id imagine another 30 percent increase coming before year end

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭mailforkev

Just got my meter swapped over there, only took the guy a few minutes. Now to pull the Energia trigger.

I only moved from them about a month ago, wish I'd known that this EV plan was fixed rate at the time. Mind you, it will still be one of the cheapest fifty quids I've ever spent to move back.

As an aside, I requested a call back from SSE on Tuesday morning and they just rang me back a few minutes ago, you wouldn't want to be in a hurry with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Mike2006

FYI: It was 2 days later before my MPRN was recognised by the computer systems as being changed over to a Day/Night meter

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭alfa_aficionado

I just joined BG from Energia last month! Had been on the EV plan but expired end May. I'm now wondering if it's worth moving back to Energia after a month away and paying the €50 breakage fee? Would they take us back so quickly? (they didn't make any attempt at trying to keep us)

Our use is ~60% night rate.

9.1kWp (5.6E/3.5W)

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭alfa_aficionado

Sorry just noticed mailforkev talking about the same thing. Let me know how you get on.

9.1kWp (5.6E/3.5W)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭cannco253

We were already with Energia on a 41% discounted 24hr rate , just switched to the Ev rate as the fixed rate seems too good to be true in the current climate.

Night metre being installed on Tuesday.

The customer service rep on the phone did warn us that rates could go down but he admitted it was very unlikely.

Sounded like they are extremely busy at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,895 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Yes I've been sending everyone I know with an EV or who complains about smart meter tariffs to them.

Even taking the night rate element out of it, being able to fix rates in the current climate at 28c is pretty good. Compare that to the ripoff smrt meters

exactly - even the day rate on the fixed energia plan pretty much beats everything else out there and it's FIXED for 12 months at 27 cent for me.

Thats before you even get to the best bit that the night rate is also fixed for 12 months at 7 odd cent.

One question i'm not sure on is the GAS element also fixed? If it is then that's even better again lol

• Registered Users Posts: 21,895 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Check the contract sent when you signed up. If it's a fixed tariff it will show it in the top right of the pricing table, if it's not fixed rate it will show fixed discount percentage instead of fixed rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,635 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Moved from EI to BG myself 10 days ago. Am executing the cooling off period, going back to EI and then immediately to Energia.

the sales rep confirmed multiple times it was fixed price and not fixed discount - i was just so concentrated on the electric prices that i didn't explicitly ask about the gas. Will check again when the contract comes.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭ec_pc

Yes, definitely fixed price. She repeated it on the call and the call is recorded. I wonder what the logic of the fixed rate really is? They must still be making money on it even if the margin is slim.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭eagerv

The electricity suppliers rely upon the vast majority of customers not changing/checking for the best deals. Most people I have asked have no idea what they are paying, just saying it's expensive and quoting the increases from the media. And they aren't particularly interesting in changing suppliers, thinking that would be a major hassle.

If everyone looked for the best deals then there would be no good deals. Unfair, but such is life..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,023 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

It's always been fixed rate from 2020/21.

Only was cheaper for very high night rate users.

Also re: Bord gais price increases.

They all say the "average bill increase" etc

They are putting up unit rates by about 44%

• Registered Users Posts: 5,569 ✭✭✭obi604

What are the new Energia rates for day and night ?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,005 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

I'm on the Energia EV plan since end March fixed at 23.2 / 6.2 cent. Am actually thinking would I better off trying to 're' fix at the current price - an extra five months fixed next year may be worth more than the next seven months at a somewhat cheaper rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Airtricity hid a massive 72% increase in 'smart' peak rates in the average they announced this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 irewestlad

Have I been duped? I was on 24 hour meter and I changed over to a smart meter thinking it was needed to export my surplus PV elec and to get onto a night time rate for an EV which is on the way.

Now I’m being told that the EV plans (night rate) which are under 10c for Day/Night meters are not available to Smart Meter customers. So to charge my car at night time I need to take a plan that’s 19cent. Why would the providers not offer the same night time rate regardless of you’re on Smart or Day/Night meter? Seems discriminatory to customers on smart meter.

Looks like I’m not the only one in this boat. Any options? Change back to a Day/Night meter?? Does any one offer good nightly rates for smart meter customers?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,569 ✭✭✭obi604

Pardon my ignorance, but in simple terms, what are smart meters supposed to actually do?

from what I see from people here, they just increase the bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,239 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

They read your meter automatically so people think they're not getting ripped off, even though the next bill would correct any differences from an estimate.

Plus you get accurate solar export readings rather than the estimate for normal meters.

You're also going to magically save money because you can see you're using electricity between 5pm-10pm when you're home from work and you know, living in your house.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,114 ✭✭✭✭KCross

In some ways, yes, you’ve been duped and if you change to a d/n meter you will lose your right to FiT so your choices are…

1) suck it up and stick with the smart meter. Get the best tariff you can including your FiT

2) change to d/n meter knowing that you are forfeiting the FiT but that might actually be the best option depending on the amount of night rate charging you do on the EV.

You need to calculate it out to decide which option is right for you.

Advertisement