Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Best Electricity Plan for new EV Owners

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,993 ✭✭✭CoBo55

No. Fixed means you're exempt from any price rises for 12 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭eagerv

Also received my first bill today for 1 month, signed up on 1st Sept. After the 25% discount as agreed they charged me (Incl VAT) 31.8c/9.16c. Agreed fixed 12 month price was 29.82c/8.58c as per their letter.

I know it's not much, only €49 of electricity used plus standing charge for the month, but will give them a call in morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭cannco253

So have energia fixed the problem with the EV billing? They told me last week to expect a revised bill but I haven’t a seen anything yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭necstandards

Anyone know the best smart meter EV plan, if one exists? Why Energia EV plan needs day/night meter is beyond me😡

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭handpref

As of last Friday no - I queried the different unit rates on my bill- this deal despite me asking for the ‘EV Tariff’ never came with a specific tariff name.

Il have to go back over it all again because it’s clear as mud

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Liam2021

On the same plan as yourself, not received any bill yet but will be interesting to see what they say.

Called Energia this morning, took a total time of 15 seconds to get through to a very pleasant sales person after I had pressed the options button.

Transpires they were correct, they had billed me at the correct agreed price of 29.82c/8.58c incl vat. Mea culpa, must get a new calculator..😁

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Summer2020

Has anyone got it in writing that they're on the fixed rate ? I've been told it over the phone however when I requested it by email I just got the standard EV plan tariff email

• Registered Users Posts: 21,895 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Yes, plenty of people, myself included. It's in the T+C in the email you getr when you signed up

This is what I got by letter about a week or so after I changed on 1st Sept.

• Advertisement

Yes and you can see the "fixed term unit rate"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,239 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Jesus Energia are testing me. Their customer support team don't have the same access as the sales team so they don't know what's going on! I called yesterday regarding the "change of shipper" as when I signed up for the second time on 19/09 this was when the 20 day block had expired after my cooling off cancellation with Airtricity and shouldn't have any issues. The sales team said they can see my registration from the 19th and would call me back, heard nothing. I believe the customer support email from last week saying it was rejected was in reference to the first attempt in August, as they can't see the 19/09 registration.

Called back today and the customer support person can't help so far (38 minutes in). I can't even log into Energia now, I could yesterday although nothing was showing up.

At this rate I better bloody get my 25c/7.9c rate honoured...

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭baby fish

If a house has always used 24hr standard electricity rate but has a day/night meter installed (this meter has the blue button to scroll through the different screens) , Has a new meter to be installed in order to to switch to day/night rate?

Rang Electric Ireland today about switching to day/night rate from existing standard rate.

Was told would have to get a new meter installed first.

Is this correct? A new meter has to be installed even though the existing meter looks like it is suitable?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Redfox25

Yep, you need a day night meter for the dn rate

The smart meter should do it but it wont work for these rates.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭baby fish

Thanks, but the meter that is installed is already a day night meter - just it has only been used with standard 24hr electricity rate.

An electrician looked at this meter before and said the installed meter is a day night meter and I've compared it to ESB networks website where they list different types of meters, it's definitely a day/night meter

The person in electric Ireland today said a new meter is required, that seems a bit daft ? Will this existing meter have to be ripped out and another identical meter installed in order to get Day/night?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,115 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Is this correct? A new meter has to be installed even though the existing meter looks like it is suitable?

No, but the ESB will need to schedule a call out and they will check it and take readings and then it "becomes a day/night meter". No physical changes are made.

It will then show up as a day/night meter to your provider. They dont know what physical meter you have... all they know is what the computer is telling them, which is that you have a 24hr system.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,007 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Email I received this morning from Energia. I had two different night rate units showing on my first bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭shanec1928

got the same email also, looks like its knocked a €13 off what it had estimated, the newest bill isnt up online so cant see the unit rates etc yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭necstandards

Is a day/night meter not the same as a smart meter??

If not, will a day/night meter work for solar PV FIT export?

1 - no

2- Yes (with a but). You will get the deemed fit and not paid for actual export. this is despite the fact that the meter is physically capable of measuring export

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭mc2022B2TF

Some chat on other forums that deemed FIT may actually work out better, especially for those with battery storage so not having a smart meter not the disaster it once seemed.

Deemed fit absolutely will work out better,

I'm sending almost nothing to the grid as I have a 60kWh EV, 20kWh storage, two immersions , and have set the inverter in such a way that sending to teh grid is the last resort.

Yet I will get paid based on exporting 35% of my energy generated from an 8.2kWp system.

This is despite the fact that the Day Night meter I have, is perfectly capable of monitoring actual exports.

This is despite the fact that the Day Night meter I have, is perfectly capable of monitoring actual exports.

How is that?

The typical d/n meter has no export recording capability, at least mine doesn't anyway.

Maybe you have one of the rare meters that records export which is what the initial pilot project people got.... is that what they put in for you when you ripped out the smart meter?

It has an energy in and energy out instant display, depending on what is happening. I believe however that the ESBn procurement didnt include the provision of a cumulative export reading on these meters. Perhaps I'm mistaken on that?

You must have a different meter. Mine has no "instant" figure on the display.... day, night, total and current date and time.... nothing else.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭buzz11

I have one of these meters, it’s day, night & export, installed in 2014.

For any of us dullards actually set up on Smart Meters with Smart Tarrifs - what should we be switching to these days?

Bord Gais' electricity only plan seemed okay when I had a look the other day. Our EI 24 hour tarrif just jumped to I think ~ 40.3c per unit in last couple of days so should be beatable.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Mike2006

You will need to get your existing meter programmed for day/night rate mode. It takes about 5 minutes for the ESBN worker to do this - but you do need to get it done before you can change over to a night rate plan. Also, once the change the meter settings, it can take a could 2 or so days for the 'system' to update your meter from MCC01 to MCC02. Your new provider can't sign you up to the new plan until they can 'see' this change on their system.

Mike

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭browne_rob5

Yeah Bord Gais is the best of a bad bunch if 3 hours charging at night is enough to cover your daily commute. Its 8.69c from 2am to 5am. You can also shift dishwasher etc to this time.

Monday to Friday 5pm to 7pm is 47.55c so might not suit if you use oven or electric hob a lot at this time.

• Advertisement

If you have a battery you could load shift during the peak times. I suspect this will become more and more common. As the rates rise, payoff time of a 2k 5kWh battery becomes less and less.

Advertisement