Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Best Electricity Plan for new EV Owners

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,049 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Just rang Bord Gais this morning to confirm my transfer went through on a day night rate last night and all looks good.

While on the phone I asked the agent if the 17.63c and 8.71c unit rates were variable or fixed for the 12 months and they told me it's a fixed rate. Not sure if that's true but if my rate increases I'll request a copy of the call and argue I was told the rates are fixed.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭ec_pc

interesting, website says prices are only held until Spring 2022 which can be any time from March to May! Depending on who you talk to in Bord Gais you get different prices, I had to call 3 times to get the right details. I'd imagine their T's+C's will override information provided over the phone perhaps.

Anyhow, I called them this morning on this to check and it is a fixed term contract of one year with a fixed rate discount of 41%. However, PSO, Standing charge and unit rate are not fixed at all. The unit rate is frozen until end Q1 at the earliest but no guarantees beyond that time. PSO and Standing charge costs are controlled by Government and ESB Networks so beyond Brod Gais control but again no guarantee of fixed rate. With the volatility between Russia and Ukraine I can't se how any provider would offer a fixed rate.

I've had similar with Sky TV. Was meant to be getting free HD for 12 months but rang about another issue and asked how long my HD offer ran for, was told that that is free forever (person obviously read something wrong). So when my next bill arrived and I was charged for HD I contacted them and requested a copy of the call, they reviewed it and agreed I was told that HD was free for ever and I've not paid for it since.

I'll do the same here if the rates go up because the agent 100% said the rates are fixed at the 17.something & 8.something. If they honour it then all well and good.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

It's the usual confusion and badly trained call centre people. The discount is fixed, but not the rate against which it is based. I'm in contract with Bord Gais until end Feb at 40% electricity discount (and 31% gas) but am hightailing it out of there on 1st March as their standard unit rate is increasing by 34% on that date!

Where'd you see that? I'll cancel in my 14 day period if that's the case.

• Advertisement

It's on Bonkers calculations, but now that I think of it, perhaps it reflects the ending of my current discount, not an increase in standard unit rate! Timing and pricing makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭ec_pc

I think he means it increases for him as he is out of contract on 1st March. That is standard practice for all providers once the 1 year discount expires. the 41% discount you have applies for 12 months

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭John arse

Yeah you frightened me there,i think you'll find if there are any increases everyone else will follow suit not long after anyway?

Post edited by John arse on

• Registered Users Posts: 65,323 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Totally. But in some contracts, the rate is actually fixed. Like the Energia EV plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭d0157063

Hello all - I went through all the 6 pages and referenced other forums and have the below queries

1) we have smart meter and don't intend to replace - Can we still negotiate on day/night tariffs ?

2) Assuming P1 yes - as someone mentioned cheapest day - ~ 10 and night ~ 8 - I am unable to find this online. We are on dual plan (Gas + electricity) with Energia

3) bonkers seem to give "retention" exclusive plan which is unavailable on Energia...Want to avoid calling due to huge waiting times.

Any latest on the cheapest rates from either of the providers....looking specifically for EV charging.....

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Sam the Sham

No day rate is as cheap as 10c/kWh. Cheapest is supposed to be Bord Gais at present at ~17c/kWh.

You're stuck with **** rates on a smart meter unfortunately, no negotiation for decent day/night rates.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭CoBo55

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭John arse

• Registered Users Posts: 33,532 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

My current night rate from Bord Gais is 10.89c/Kw.

Heard an advert on the radio today for SSE AirTricity with a 33% off offer, wonder would that be worth a look?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭ongarite

Forget the 33% off headline.

Their kWh unit cost is 18.98 day & 9.39 night with urban day/night meter annual charge of 298.50.

PSO levy is same for all providers but standing charge will vary.

Electric Ireland is 18.93 & 9.35 with standing charge of 283.45.

I know we had discussions here before about how smart meters are a rip off but I've attached a copy of Airtricity tariffs before discounts above.

0.6c per unit during the day cheaper than a normal day rate but you have that two hour robbery between 5pm and 7pm at 29.57c and that before you consider the crazy night rate.

You'd want to be off your rocker to accept an install of one of these meters.

I'm on a smart meter as I'm in a new build so no choice.

Have gas cooking so the smart meter EV plan will work well for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,532 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Worth a call to BG, see if they will throw a few quid at me to stay with them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭d0157063

Likewise, all new builds have it by default, which provider are you with?

I'm with Electric Ireland but might switch to Bord Gais EV plan as their gas kWh rate is better than EI EV plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭prosaic

I was talking to a kncircet engineer today. He said that, with the smart meters, it's possible to set them up for the day/night rate. It requires some kind of configuration. I'll ask some of the providers about it and maybe ESB Networks also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭silver_sky

I'm with Energia currently and on a smart meter. I had Bord Gais call round last week trying to get me to switch. I had a look at the numbers later and it seems like it's worth it to move even with the penalty fees. Anyone do that?

Yes, that's exactly what I did. I left energia in January but I was in contract until February I was with them since 2017 they kept matching the provider I was intending to move to each year. Never heard anything from them this year. They didn't charge me the 50 early termination fee which was good.

The meter reader called yesterday he said they can't be configured as day/night which I think is stupid, he also said I could get a day/night meter if I wanted to... All very mysterious eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Kiz14

I have a smart meter installed in 2020 in my estate, in contract with Energia till June 2022. Just bought an electric car so rang today to enquire about their EV tariff, apparently I can book a meter change with the ESB to a day/night smart meter via Energia, so then I can apply for the EV Tariff. Anyone else go this route?

Give it a try and let us know how it goes, we could all be back with energia ☺️☺️

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

I signed up to their EV charger plan. 13 cent night rate. ESB set up the day/night meter couple days ago and won't get the free charger until nearly end of the month. I see their cancellation fee is €200. Confirmed on phone. If I was to cancel, could I get my wife to then sign up on a contract for the 6.95 cent night rate EV plan I wonder? Would there be anything that would stop this?

Advertisement