Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Best Electricity Plan for new EV Owners

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,942 ✭✭✭John arse

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭snor

It’s only the EO untethered so I didn’t bother with it. Have PV panels so went with Zappi.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 BaNAMA302010

Just found this out today when we went to renew currently complaining internally with Energia and to CRU this wasn't communicated ahead of time or on the day or we would have renewed on Friday. Gutted at what currently is on offer there last quote was 16c Night rate - prob go Airtricity or EI nigh boost.

Happy to discover we were getting rebated the 18c a unite solar we had exported since last sep - worked out at almost another 200EUR credit

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭yllw.ldbttr

Energia removing the day/night rate of 13 cent is a bitter blow and I don't think there's any justification for it.

My contract is up in two weeks.

Looks like Flo Gas is next best night rate at 19 cent. Much higher standing charge but I use approx 10k units a year so still the cheapest for me. Only concern is it's a fixed price, so if prices start to drop across the board then I'll miss out on any reductions.

I'm out of contract in 2 weeks time so need to decide as the standard rates are prohibitive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭Spipov

Let us know what you get. My brain has frozen and im in complete inaction mode hoping for some divine electric intervention

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Redfox25

It's 50 quid to break most contracts so if there is a drop later in the year, jump on it then

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭joe1303l

Probably worth checking the cost to break out of the Flogas contract, it might be an option to get out if a better deal comes along ?

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭brcwatters

I ran the numbers on the various smart plans before switching, basing it on 3 hours charging a night and 2 units use at peak time. Turned out BG was the cheapest for us. The differences weren't huge though, 50 euro cheaper over 60 days than EI or Energia smart plan. Airtricity was somewhere in the middle. 3 hours charging a night is enough for us 90% of the time. We've only gone over that twice in almost 2 months

The standing charge for BG was cheaper than EI, for example, and while the normal night rate was more expensive we only really use the EV night rate and put the washing machine on then too. There is a peak rate but after a month or so I can see that we v rarely use the peak rate, maybe one unit a day. That's just us though, we don't usually use the oven for dinner during the week and there is no peak at the weekend. Unless you're restricted to doing a lot of cooking/immersion/dryer in those times then it's not a huge imposition. We usually have 3 computers, hob, airfryer and tv on at that time and it still doesn't really add up to more than 1 unit.

I work from home during the day so it's worth having the day rate being that bit cheaper too. Once it comes to renewal I can see how it is again but so far it's not too bad and cheaper than it would have been before for electricity and diesel in the month.

So basically saying you need to look at your own usage and keep standing charges and all the different prices in mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭Gooser14

€50 per billing period is still a saving of €300 p.a. Well worth having in your pocket rather than on your providers bottom line.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,716 ✭✭✭micks_address

its annoying how they all seem to have various differences.. BG looks attractive to us but ive heard their FIT payments can be torture to get sorted.. currently with EI Nightboost and have 2 hours cheap but the rest of the night is still relatively cheaper than BG.. probably if i factored in standing charge BG might be better for us.. have an EV and solar with battery storage 13.66kw battery which i can charge at approx 3.5kwh so if i had a really cheap plan with 4 hours cheap rate.. the batteries would almost cover my day usage from 6am to 2am the next morning.. that with decent FIT payments and low standing charges be great

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭splashthecash

Lads my head is absolutely melted with this stuff....we are out of contract with Electric Ireland tomorrow. There is no many calculations and permutations to work out and so many other things to consider.

This stuff is F*kin' nightmare fuel for me...

well id start with whats your kw usage per day.. is it consistent, do you have an EV, how many hours charging per day/night do you need.. have you battery storage/solar? for me its about getting as much usage into the cheapest rate possible and avoiding using peak rates if possible.. also look at the standing charge.. and if you have solar what the company will pay you for exported kwh

ei standing charge 396

bg standing charge 418

ei day 42

bg day 40

ei night 20

bg night 30

ei ev 12

bg ev 10z

im guessing EI nightboost wins

• Registered Users Posts: 65,350 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

@Spipov - "im guessing EI nightboost wins"

That's only available if you have a smart meter though

• Registered Users Posts: 45,454 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

What do you get for paying an extra €120/€130 per years for a smart meter standing charge,in comparison to say an Energia d/N?

It's nothing even a disguised price gouge! Unbelievable.

Everywhere you get bent over. Theres no winning. I suppose its accepting it from the one who will hurt you the least…

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Jog501

Dutch TTF now trading at 39.5, back to mid 2021 levels and still no significant reductions being offered from the wholesalers here to the private market. The regulator is asleep at the wheel yet again. This is truly a rip off republic..

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭crl84

EI have removed their 10% discount existing customer deals btw.

Now 8.5% dual-fuel, or 5% electricity only.

FS prices wholesale drop and here we pay more

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,638 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

Oil under $70 and eur/USD €1.08.

Everything is in our favour for strong price cuts but our Muppets (EI and BG are government owned) probably hedged at a high price.

All smoke and mirror bollox.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭eagerv

Nothing will change with pricing until the €200 x 3 giveaway is finished with.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,045 ✭✭✭CoBo55

It is finished, nothing changing though... They're a shower of robbing bastards🤬🤬

• Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭eagerv

Yes, but most peoples third bill of the winter has yet to arrive. Hopefully next month we will start to see a few better rates appearing. Or perhaps I am being a tad optimistic. I am ok for the moment, my 8c/kWh fixed night rate with Energia isn't up until September..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,562 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

My 6.5c night rate with Energia finishes next week FFS. And they've pulled the plan too....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,045 ✭✭✭CoBo55

The upshot of all this is that somebody considering an EV really need to get out the calculator and do their figures. The way these boys are blatantly holding the prices up without being questioned by anyone is keeping people in diesel and modern petrol cars. I'll certainly be crunching the numbers next year if I decide to change and I'm only driving a phev, my electricity has jumped from around a fiver a week to just under fourteen a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Will be interesting to see what you get moved to. To be honest, if they kept me on the same plan but removed my discount line item I'd be happy with that!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,562 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Only offering me the 10% off Home Elect plan - same day price IIRC but nearly double the night rate. 😓

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Oh but I mean if you don't contact them, what the default is. Their billing system is p1ss poor so I'd not be surprised if you said nothing and ended up on the default EV rate. I may try this at the end of my contract. I end in july, so I wont be using much electricity anyway

Advertisement