Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transgender man wins women's 100 yd and 400 yd freestyle races.

1253254255256257259»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭aero2k

Indeed, and in all the road races I competed in or followed over the years, the fastest time was always set by a man, hence the reason men would have no objection if in fact there was only one open list of prizes, but the same wouldn't be true for women.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Enduro

There are two issues here. Trans involved in women's sport and Russian propaganda.

What are you talking about? Do you realise that absolutely nobody is saying that Khelif is trans? You're constructing a strawperson there that nobody else has made any reference to.

And I don't know how many times I have to repeat that I have exactly the same position as you as regards the IBA and Russian propaganda. And I have said nothing to you about whether Khelif is male or female, apart from the fact that she met the IOC's (totally inadequate) eligibility criteria to compete in the female category at the Olympics. I'm not speculating about Khelif's sex. Feel free to quote me if you find otherwise.

However, you claimed that it was not possible to determine if someone was male or female from a DNA test. Hence why I'm asking whether you accept that there are tests available that will screen and determine a person's sex. This is a generic question which has absolutely nothing to do with Khelif, the IBA, or Russian propaganda.

Your perception as irony of me giving an example of an individual who proferred bullshìt hypotheses and then tried to make the evidence fit the hypothesis, escapes me, to be honest.

The levels of irony spinning around irony here could keep the whole solar system rotating infinitely. I think that has to be the funniest thing I've ever read in this thread 😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,134 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Do you have a literacy problem?

That depends - some people would classify dyslexia as a literacy problem, but it’s not a problem for me, and the question definitely isn’t relevant here where you’ve not actually engaged with the post, but rather glossed over it to make some point about male sports jocks, when I was referring to men. You’re on about something entirely different and unrelated in an attempt to prove from your perspective anyway, that I don’t have a clue, while attempting to portray yourself as an authority on, well, pretty much everything as much as I can decipher in between your spittle.

I still hold out hope that you might offer something relevant to the discussion at some stage.

Some men don’t even want to compete alongside anyone, or nobody, because they want to be a somebody:

https://extra.ie/2022/11/12/news/anti-corruption-garda-who-used-luas-to-finish-dublin-marathon-gets-lifetime-ban

That he is a member of the Anti-corruption squad gave me a chuckle 😂

• Advertisement

I still hold out hope that you might offer something relevant to the discussion at some stage.

Whatever about your literacy levels, you've definitely mastered irony. I'll give you that.

Fantastic! The story just above is well up there though I’d hope, in the hope that underneath all that male jock bravado exterior, there’s a sense of humour 😁

You know this isn't as irrelevant as it first might seem. It illustrates nicely that there are people who will try to cheat at sports, even when there is absolutely nothing at stake beyond their own personal results. He wasn't cheating to try to win the race. He wasn't cheating to try to get prize money. None of that is necessary for a person to cheat. There are websites specifically devoted to highlighting these unfathomably low-level cheaters.

Equally, some of the cases of people who have been caught taking (potentially medically dangerous) PEDs even in Ireland are ridiculously low level. About as far from elite sports as you could get. It doesn't make any logical sense, but it still happens. At any level, if it's possible to cheat, then somebody will.

And that is why rules around eligibility for sports categories need to be written as precisely and as tightly as possible. If you leave any gap to allow a male athlete to compete in the female category then somebody will exploit that gap to cheat, no matter how well-meaning the intention of the gap may have been (inclusion, or whatever).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭aero2k

Back on the late 70's, on a club ride, I heard some of the vets discussing lads taking various pills, just for the bragging rights of being first in a random sprint to some arbitrary point, not even an official race. Pathetic, but definitely a thing

And that is why rules around eligibility for sports categories need to be written as precisely and as tightly as possible. If you leave any gap to allow a male athlete to compete in the female category then somebody will exploit that gap to cheat, no matter how well-meaning the intention of the gap may have been (inclusion, or whatever).

I apologise in advance for the link to Gript (seems to be the only media outlet that gave a shìt), but while I do take your point as it relates to cheating in sports, and while I do agree that the rules around eligibility in sports need to be written as precisely and tightly as possible… it’s the purpose for which they need to be written as precisely and tightly as possible which I don’t agree with, as it’s intentionally misleading in order to be exclusionary. That’s why I always recommend rules are written in plain language to ensure that they are easily understood, to avoid any misunderstandings and the ensuing disappointment, confusion and disputes which are reasonably foreseeable by an organisation.

Take for example this sad case, whom you probably don’t remember as I’m sure you’re aware of many, many more, equally insignificant examples:

https://gript.ie/male-trinity-student-comes-2nd-in-womens-race/

Out of nothing he managed to make something which in his own mind he imagined was noteworthy, and for that brief moment in time, he imagined himself as a somebody. I do get it, it doesn’t make him any less pitiful.

• Advertisement
Advertisement