Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transgender man wins women's 100 yd and 400 yd freestyle races.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,123 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Not you Q, but yer man there is some shìt stirrer. He’s well aware that Na Gaeil Aeracha aren’t any threat to either the LGFA, the GAA, or anyone for that matter. As for how the LGFA or the GAA have dealt with the club, they’ve been very supportive -

GAA.ie: What can the GAA, LGFA, and Camogie Associations do to be more inclusive? There’s obviously a lot of work already being done in this space. You mentioned Geraldine McTavish, the GAA’s Diversity and Inclusion Officer, who is behind a number of great initiatives. More can always be done, so would either of you have any tips for clubs out there on how they can be more inclusive?

Karl Shannon: It's hard to say. We were the first explicitly inclusive LGBTQ+ and allies club, but Ballymun Kickhams had the rainbow stripes on their jerseys for five years before we were even a thing. A lot of clubs already go out of their way to be inclusive and it's stuff like that, showing the kind of symbolism, that really shows the strength and the unity with our community.

The GAA and the LGFA helped us hugely to set up this club and showed us the ropes in terms of what we needed to do and those were great strides for them to take because they just needed somebody to found the club and get it started and get it up and going. We've been invited to march with them in Pride this weekend. So, I definitely I think that there are strides already being made. It's about listening to our community and they definitely are.

Emma Loo: Ger McTavish has just been super and I know there's loads of stuff going on in the background, even from grassroots as well from a young age in the schools and with online workshops, there's a lot of different things coming on board. It's not linear, it takes time. We're not expecting miracles. We're not gonna push anything. We're not gonna get frustrated if, you know, we don't see everything inclusive straight away, because that isn't how things work.

If you look back to history, it's been a long, long journey. And we are respecting and appreciating that there is so much work going on and, as Karl said, I'd agree, just checking in and listening to what the community is saying. Because the community is the people who experience it, so they'll know what they need best. But we know that there's loads of work going on. So, good times ahead, I think.

https://www.gaa.ie/news/na-gaeil-aeracha-are-marching-forward-with-pride/

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,207 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I don't know much about them, are they a recreational team or a competitive team?

People play sports with their bodies, not their genders. I can't get my head around this pretence that biological sex can be just disregarded because of the person not identifying with the gender most typically associated with their sex.

Also, while I agree with Bill Burr on the lack of support by women for women's basketball (seeing people say women soccer players should be paid the same as their male counterparts... how can that even be possible when women's soccer doesn't generate anything close to the same revenue as men's?)... you don't have to be sporty to recognise unfairness. If you're interested in fairness for women and girls, that's sufficient.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,545 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

The game that's sparked this I believe was the junior J championship semi final. So competitive but at the lowest tier.

This is an LGFA issue, not a GAA one. They are two separate entities completely distinct from one another.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

https://twitter.com/FedMexTriatlon/status/1555200147965067267?s=20&t=T8EJ4zGI9rpmq8XEJA8Maw

Mexican Triathlon Federation is rejecting World Triathlon's decision.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,123 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Is that a burrito in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me? 😬

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭SnazzyPig

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭greyday

In fairness, the USA women's soccer team is more popular than the men's and deserve more pay as they generate more views/clicks/revenue.

Whatever chance other women's sports have of attracting big audiences would be hampered in my opinion if they included trans athletes, like it or not, when people watch women's sports they want to see biological women against biological women competing to see who is the best, the other/open category is a fair compromise but I suspect Trans women would not be anywhere near the front in that category.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭newhouse87

Cant but laugh really tbh. The pics are like something from rorys stories.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,673 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

That twitter account and another that was commenting on the situation have been suspended, probably because of mass reporting. I didn't see anything that would warrant a ban

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭newhouse87

no faces shown in this one, think people will get the drift without the faces. 2-9 as a sub not bad going tbf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

I thought this was a p take, ffs have people lost their minds.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Natural born women just have to get better, that was one boards poster’s take on it recently - male-female segregation is keeping the females weak, if they have to compete directly with males then they’ll git gud - or some such BS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,096 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Harassment. Pretty obvious why it would be banned when the account has been harassing trans women. It says a lot that you think thats ok.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭riddles

I found Rte”s exclusion of a trans woman on the panel for the womens GAA all reland a big step back for diversity and inclusivity.

Do you have screenshots? Like I said, I didn't see anything that would warrant a ban

Post edited by Quantum Erasure on

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,207 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

You play to the rules so people shouldn't have an issue with this player and club playing to the rules.

The issue should be with the rules themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭BruteStock

Why on earth would I be respreading the harassment 🙄

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Seems there had been objections before the game,

Before the game, a Na Fianna manager approached the referee to question the presence of Giulia Valentino, a transgender woman, in the opposition team.

A source at the game said the referee initially believed Valentino was part of Na Gaeil Aeracha’s back room team until she won a high ball in the game’s first few minutes.

The referee, a man, stopped the game after the first break in play to tell Na Gaeil Aeracha that there was “a problem with your number 21” and told them “the player is a man”.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭TooTired123

It’s gone totally viral now. That’s what happens when an account gets banned for the heinous crime of pointing out that one of the people in the picture is a man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84,646 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Conservatives making up ways that they're oppressed. It makes good red meat ratings.

Oh I don’t think anyone feels oppressed by that picture. What it is is hilarious to think that anyone could look at the picture and not see a balding man in his early 40s competing with a young woman for the ball in a team sporting competition. It wasn’t a kick about or a training session (even though that in itself would be weird, and dangerous)

No it was actually a competitive match…for ladies who like to play Gaelic football.

But apparently there are people who are insisting to twitter that stating the bleeding obvious (pardon the pun) is hate speech.

These same people claim that pitching a mature man against females in a notoriously physical team sport isn’t unsafe or unfair.

Unbelievable Jeff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84,646 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I more mean the angle of making it go viral since Twitter doesn't want to be in the business of moderating the grey area of this hotly debated and often transphobic (but not always) area of public interest. Especially not at 100s of tweets per minute. By contrast the pace of this thread is relatively easy to manage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭DeadHand

I think this latest spectacle, that is a person who is clearly a man participating in and easily dominating a women's GAA match, is, paradoxically, a good thing.

It puts the cleansing light of day upon the anti-human demands of transgenderism as regards sport for a native audience.

The sooner the sporting public are aware of this nonsense, the sooner a debate around it will be had. The sooner the debate is had, the sooner the side of the truth, fairness and common sense will win out; as it already has elsewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 632 ✭✭✭cheese sandwich

This GAA story is so ridiculous it’s like a parody created by the anti-trans lobby.

That bald dude ain’t no lady

Thats what happens when you harass trans women.

Terry Pratchet

Absolutely. At some stage the whole circus was going to take just one step too far.

It just happens that a GAA club insisting on fielding a man in a womens competitive match on the grounds that he identifies as a woman, totally irregardless of the health and safety of any of the other players on the pitch, seems to have burst the dam.

Combine that with the front page banner headline on the Sindo regarding the Tavistock Clinic and people will surely wake up now to what’s going on right under their noses.

• Advertisement

Advertisement