Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transgender man wins women's 100 yd and 400 yd freestyle races.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,953 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I'm still right 😂. Money is sloshing around rugby anyway, always was. Sure they all drink Heineken don't they?

Track and field maybe not so much, but it's there.

Of course there is. Lots and lots of money.

Physically transitioning requires multiple surgeries, which costs in the tens of thousands of dollars. Then there's the hormonal treatments which are generally long-term, all of which are relatively expensive considering the experimental aspect of many of the drug treatments. Then, there's the therapy/psych evaluations, especially after the 7 year mark where those who have transitioned often become suicidal, which results in more medication. Along with further surgeries and the costs associated with health/life insurance due to complications from past surgeries. Pretty good money for the health industry.

And then, there's the community supporting Transpeople, with sponsorship deals connected to advertising or the pushing of the Trans agenda. Book deals, speeches, conferences, etc all aimed at representing Trans people and telling the world of their trials in a hostile environment... never mind, the lucrative sponsorship deals that tends to be associated with American sports in the general sense.

I could go on and on pointing out where there's money to be made.. because it's a very profitable industry right now. It's one of the reasons that the Trans movement has gained so much support in the US.. it's big money.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

I would agree to some extent that there are vested interests who are making money regarding trans issues ( medical industry, lobby groups etc), but, very few trans people are actually making money for being trans and I very much doubt anyone actually transitions for money considering all that transitioning entails.

Very few Trans are engaged in competitive sports too... which is the thrust of the thread, and the comments about money. Nor did I say or even suggest that people might transition for the possible monetary returns.

You're deflecting.

Didn't mean you specifically, but, it has been suggested on this thread that people have or will transition to either gain financially or for an advantage in sport- I don't think anyone has or will tbh, it's probably just the case when transwomen start to compete with biological women they end up being towards the top end of the field whereas when they competed as males they were also rans.

Also another issue is that trans used to only relate to people who actually went through a transition process and lived their lives as the opposite gender they were born , as in the case of Lia Thomas who is in her early twenties, she at least is going through a transition process where she will live the remainder of her life as a woman, so probably another 60 years as a woman.

However, now trans also includes non- binary and gender fluid people, similar to the person in the ladies Gaelic football match, who don't appear to go through any transition or make any real change to their lives other than changing their pronouns and sometimes wearing clothes more associated with the opposite sex, yet still expect everyone else to accommodate them. There needs to be a distinction made between those who actually transition and those who don't. I don't see how that person was allowed compete in the ladies Gaelic football match, it's taking things to the absolute extremes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,440 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Not sport related, but I see the Rose of Tralee is trending again, and I had thoughts similar to the poster above,

Didn't mean you specifically, but, it has been suggested on this thread that people have or will transition to either gain financially or for an advantage in sport- I don't think anyone has or will tbh, it's probably just the case when transwomen start to compete with biological women they end up being towards the top end of the field whereas when they competed as males they were also rans.

Posting generally tends to happen without quoting someone...

As for people transitioning due to the advantages in sport.. I'm sure some do. There are ambitious people willing to do anything to achieve their goals. That doesn't mean that all trans people engaged in competitive sports do so.. but we shouldn't dismiss the possibility. After all, in the US more so than Europe, there is a greater emphasis in relation to sports, competitiveness, and the advantages for the people involved.

They're at or towards the top when competing against biological females because of the inherent advantages of male biological development.. which is why you don't see transmen beating male competition, except where strength/endurance/etc is not a factor for the activity.

Also another issue is that trans used to only relate to people who actually went through a transition process and lived their lives as the opposite gender they were born

It was more the case that those physically transitioning were far older than they are today, due to the costs involved and the lack of access to treatments. That affects the dynamics of the Trans population, and their presence in society. As they were older, they wouldn't have been of an age to remain competitive in most sporting events at the top end of things. Now that younger people can transition, their presence is felt.

There needs to be a distinction made between those who actually transition and those who don't.

Which is considered to be transphobic. I've seen this raised time and time again online, and it's always shot down because Trans people don't want to placed within set categories... except by themselves, and all such categories are so vague/changeable to have no real value. New terms are constantly being created to further confuse the issues involved, and to ensure that said categories have no practical value. It's no different from the use of pronouns. I know a trans person who has changed "her" desired pronouns multiple times, even to the point of choosing ones opposite of each other, all the while expecting others to anticipate her desires.. with the subsequent tantrum when people fail to respect "her". She has partially transitioned, some homonal treatments for her skin but to all outward appearances looks like a man.

That's the world we live in now..

On the last part regarding those who change pronouns at will and don't outwardly transition, they are often the most vocal, often much more vocal than those who actually transition, want everyone else to accommodate them without question and they also tend to be the ones who don't want any distinction made between those who transition and those who don't, they effectively want their cake and eat it.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

What? Thats very odd that you make lots of assumptions about the trans woman GAA player.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

The transwoman GAA player has clearly not completed her transition, they are at best in the very early stages of transition, so really shouldn't have been playing in that match, maybe in a year or two time when she has gone further in her transition she could be allowed play. There is a transitional period which takes time, I'm not necessarily saying she ( or any other transperson) shouldn't ever be allowed play, it should be a case by case basis and whatever stage in the transition process the person is at should be taken into account as well as the sport in question.

• Advertisement

Absolutely hilarious. Doublethink of which O'Brien would be proud.

"At best in the early stages of transition?" Bloody hell making all sorts of presumptions about an individuals medical personal life based on a few photos. Very very odd to be making statements like this about an individuals personal circumstances.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 3,227 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

Just look at the photo and stop trying to fool yourself. Reality check needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,523 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

They have told themselves in their endless quest for oppression, that because that individual "feels" like he's a woman, it means he literally is a woman. It's not possible to talk sense into those who are so indoctrinated.

Oh... I'd say they're fully aware of the differences involved (rather than being indoctrinated). It's why each objection is some manner of deflection or insult to take attention away from the core issues. It's their appearance that's the problem rather than their physical size/strength/mass.. which is such an obvious deflection.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,774 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

If a person wants to change their gender here in Ireland, the person doesn't have to undergo any physical transition whatsoever. They just have to apply for a gender recognition cert which legally changes a man to a woman or vice versa and that's pretty much it. No hormones needed, no medical intervention etc. You just swear that you'll live as your preferred gender for the rest of your life. In such a case, the person is legally a woman but physically a biological man.

It's actually harder to change your name than it is to change your gender. You need a deed poll which requires proof that you have been using that name for two years. You don't need any proof to change your gender.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,774 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Will you take a step into the world of reality please. It's not all about looks but looks can generally tell a story. That person is clearly a biological male with all the physical sporting advantages that bestows.

Calling themselves she/her and having a gender recognition cert doesn't remove those physical sporting advantages.

Wow. A trans womans appearance is the problem. More insults from you.

Terry Pratchet

Case in point. Thank you Annasopra for showing exactly what I said happens.

I didn't say that a Trans woman's appearance is the problem. I specifically referred to the physical advantages of male biology in the post you quoted, and you ignored it completely.

What insult did I make? None.

Hilarious really. And no... Anna, this is not me starting any kind of discussion with you because I know that you won't argue in good faith.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,154 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

It's pretty obvious what Klaz was saying there and you proved their point.

Klaz said "their appearance is the problem" - Yep obviously judging and insulting them based on their appearance.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

You really do the cause you fight for no favours when you play as dumb as you do.

Oh the person who wrote it can absolutely see it too.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

More evidence (if it were required) that there is a belief among some that if you keep repeating something enough, it will eventually become true, despite actual, cold, hard, proof to the contrary.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

• Registered Users Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

https://twitter.com/TheCountessIE/status/1559275291951992841?s=20&t=NkjfLLaWxPI5Uij2wXO_bw

WBC has banned trans women from competing in female boxing.

Doubt it'll be long before the other promotions do the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

Seems the adults have finally sat down and thought stuff through. I don't like boxing. I have no need to watch 2 women beat 12 bells out of each other. I just can't imagine the horror show if it was a man vs a woman. 🤮

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,791 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Quoting as you quoted my post that has disappeared.

Does anyone know how to find out why your posts are deleted?

Is their someone you can contact or somewhere in the charter about why a post would be deleted?

Advertisement