Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Black Monday 2022 - NFL Coaching Carousel

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,898 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

If he passed it on to one of his sons then that son is the best person for the job.

As I said also I do believe that it's very likely imo that our next head coach will be Mike Vrabel.

There's no history of nepotism in the Patriots organisation, you can be sure that the Kraft's will be very involved in the process when it does happen.

Bob Kraft has only ever hired two head coaches in his time with the Patriots, those being Pete Carroll and Bill Belichick.

The suggestion of nepotism was never part of my post. I merely figured that one of his sons will be head coach of the Patriots some day when they are ready. Only a fool wouldn't want to give the opportunity to the son of Bill Belichick and grandson of Steve Belichick, two of the greatest minds in the history of the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

Not alone did McD draft Tebow - he traded a 2nd,3rd and 4th round pick to get back into the first round to draft him

Vrabel said, "I hung up the phone and we didn't talk for probably two years. Retired. Called him and talked about coaching. The relationship kind of picked back up from then, and he's been a great asset to me, my family, and just to help me work through situations. Talk ball. Work through things being a head coach."

https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/patriots/mike-vrabel-says-bill-belichick-has-been-great-asset-during-coaching-career

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

There is a hell of a difference between talking to a guy on the phone (maybe a couple of times a year) and learning your coaching craft under his control for maybe 16 hours a day for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

I don't know how anyone with a straight face can claim that isn't nepotism - sure even before you get to potentially being handed the HC job, what has already happened at the Patriots is in itself a great example of nepotism. There were thousands of people who were more qualified than both of Bill's sons for the jobs they were handed but they got them because of who their dad is

• Advertisement

Flores suing the Giants & NFL for racism in their hiring process. Key piece of evidence apparently a mistaken text from Belichick. Also, includes Dolphins owner offering him $100k for each loss and trying to get him to tamper with a QB and the Broncos front office showing up an hour late for an interview looking hungover. Last thing the NFL wants in the run up to the Super Bowl

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,343 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

So basically BB texted the wrong person and told Flores that Daboll was getting the Giants job before Flores had even had his interview. So they have been caught interviewing a minority candidate just to satisfy the Rooney rule without that candidate actually getting a fair shot?

Not really surprising that this stuff happens obviously, but I hope he takes them to cleaners.

The $100k per loss offer is another level entirely. Ross should be forced out if that is proven.

Looks like multiple instances of teams doing that - the Giants case is just the latest and he has evidence.

NFL will go the usual route and settle for big money and punishing the teams. There is no way they'll want discovery or have Belichick, Ross, Elway etc on the witness stand

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭MileHighGuy

Surprised he went down this route. I thought he would have been in demand after the job he did at the Dolphins, although I have no idea about relationship with players/coaches/owners..... Can't imagine he'll get much consideration for HC positions after this.

The offer of 100k per loss would be the headline for me. The BB text don't really mean anything to me, unless I'm missing something obvious.... Just trying to be nice and texted the wrong person.... Daboll got the job before Flores was interviewed...I'm sure a load of NFL jobs are filled before the interview process is officially over.

• Advertisement

Storm in a tea cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,299 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

So the Rooney Rule has been shown to not be robust enough ? I’m not that shocked because I’ve always felt that some teams were box ticking when hiring a HC. Also I’d be shocked if John Mara would allow his team to just do that. If there was a minority coach interviewed for the job before Flores then they have satisfied the rule as I understand it.

The offering money for losing allegation is a lot more serious imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,759 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

They increased the requirement last year - now 2 minority candidates must be interviewed for HC jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭NedsNotDead

Wouldn't be like slick Willie Belichick to have the inside track on some underhand shenanigans

To be fair to the giants they hired the bills gm he probably knew he wanted daboll when he decided to take the job. Its an inherent issues with the Rooney rule.

The dolphins paying to lose games is a far bigger deal imo that's a lose draft picks kind of offence

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,188 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

It's not an issue, it is one of the very things it is trying to address.

Sure but in this case having token interviews for a job thats gone is fairly demeaning

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,188 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Its massively demeaning. But GMs/owners "knowing who they want" and therefore not bothering to interview other candidates was essentially one of the core things the Rooney Rule was trying to improve. That at least you had to interview other candidates and open up the possibility.

The rule isn't the issue. The issue is that (apparently) it was clearly broken.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,124 ✭✭✭✭JRant

It seems they interviewed Leslie Frazier and Pat Graham for the role already. If that's true the Rooney rule is in the bin. It's not a particularly nice thing to do but he ain't getting a payout on this one.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

Ya thats fair but realistically guys hired from other company's and bringing in good employees they trus from the former company happens everywhere and won't be stopped.

• Advertisement

They have to be external candidates.

This is the whole problem the lawsuit is addressing, the fact that those at the top of the NFL are all old white men means they've blocked out black candidates and hired those in their circle. The numbers they include in the lawsuit are absolutely damning against the NFL, every owner, and front office:

- it took 40 years (mid 80s) for Black QBs to be acceptable

- it took 43 years for the first Black HC

- it took 54 years for the first Black GM

- it took 76 years to the Present with no Black majority owners, and no Black Commissioner

- Only 1 team (of 32) has a Black HC (3%)

- 4 have a Black O-Coordinator (12%)

- 11 have a Black DC (34%)

- 8 have a Black ST Coord (25%)

- 3 have a Black QB Coach (9%)

- 6 have a Black GM (19%)

- In the 20 years since the Rooney Rule only 11% of HC vacancies were filled by Black candidates (15 of 129)

- Since 2012 of the 10 Black HCs hired, zero of them are still employed

- In the same timeframe white HCs have been given an average of 3.5 years on the job compared to 2.5 years for Black HCs - a full year extra

- Since 1978 only 16 teams have fired winning coaches of those 16, 4 of them were Black

- Black HCs are 3.5 times more likely to be fired after a winning season

- Since 1963, 116 white coaches have been given second chances to coach, while only 21 Black coaches have been given that chance

All of that against a sport that 70% of the players are black.

Not sure if he'll be successful but what a brave move by Flores, putting himself at such great risk to shine a light on what everyone but those who have blinkers on can see is a huge issue within the NFL white boys club. The fact that Belichick seems to have just shrugged his shoulders at what the Giants look to be doing to Flores says it all - it is rampant and expected. Black coaches shouldn't have to accept being treated like that

I'm not sure there's a way to fix this tbh bar maby coach quotas which is a terrible idea

Well first thing is the NFL needs to accept that there is a problem, their initial aggressive statement last night surprised even me and I have an extremely low opinion of the organisation when it comes to dealing with issues related to race.

As for fixes, there is no silver bullet but they list out a several items in the lawsuit that would help.

Can't if you name the top 32 coaches who are not head coaches in the NFL?

Probably a bigger issue in college football than the nfl.

I'd not have faith in the nfl for anything morally their as bad as fifa

It takes naivety to a whole new level to believe the statistics noted in the lawsuit are down to coincidence - that it is a level playing field and all the white coaches being hired at a higher rate and retained longer is down to merit and that they were the top coach each time.

Absolutely unsurprising that the poster who 'doesn't like to mention racism' and defended Gruden's character after his racist comments that he felt comfortable writing in work emails feels this is a 'storm in a tea cup'.

Yes. I find it ironic that that the poster you mention makes a virtue of proclaiming how much they face down racism, sexism and misogyny in their daily lives but refuses to acknowledge racism in the sport they love

I'm specifically talking about Belichick's texts.

• Advertisement

Ah yes of course I forgot. Whenever any hint of scandal touches the Patriots or slick Billy your standard response is "Nothing to see here".

Advertisement