Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Classic Insurance for a 20 year old car

• 09-01-2022 6:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭

I have just bought a 2002 Toyota Celica as (future) classic. Would like to insure it and keep it moving while I address issues with bodywork, etc as part of an overall restoration.

I have a main car and have been continuously insured for almost 40 years. I'm hopeful a broker will be able to help. Is there any broker or company I should start with to get this 'second' insurance?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭w124man

Always an emotive subject this. Many years ago I walked into an AXA office and told them I wanted to insure my house, car, wife's car and classics and asked them what they could do for me. No one has ever beaten them for value. I dont go online for quotes anymore, I call into the office and look them in the eye and get the deal done. They can be very flexible when you are sitting opposite them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Gorteen

Am I correct in assuming a 20 year old car 'qualifies' for classic car insurance?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Sir Galahad

Some do. I’ve a twenty year old Golf convertible. Carole Nash said in December that they would cover it in January. They actually rang me to give me a quote, then said the re insurer had changed. They suggested Campions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

FBD but i think it may be 25 years... a phone call will tell you...

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭ccmp

It's 20 but certain cars only. It may be 25 if that's the only car but they definitely will add a 2002 to a policy. In general they don't like the jap stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭w124man

It will depend on the car but generally with AXA (for me) its 21 years. However, for some, 25 years is the break point. I did have my SL insured on the classic policy while it was 19 years old but it was only on a 'laid up, fire and theft' arrangement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Gorteen

Tried all the companies who provide insurance cover for classic cars, Carole Nash, Axa, Ireland First. There's a distinct reluctance to insure my Celica, despite my unblemished record of 40 years safe driving!!! Eventually, FBD agreed to insure me. Happy days. Thanks to everyone for your advice

Advertisement