Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Go with letting agent or self let?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,115 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Manion

Be mindful the above is for the UK where rights as a landlord differ as does rental culture. That said it all seemed reasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Oh I never checked. I googled 'in Ireland ' oops 😬

• Registered Users Posts: 3,994 ✭✭✭3DataModem

A good agent with full service does everything.

But they are never on the hook for unpaid rent.

My agent charges me a flat % of rent actually collected for full service. That means that they are incentivised to get long-term tenants because that means a lot less work for them, as I'm paying them the same for 5 x 1-year leases or 1 x 5-year lease. The tenants don't have my name or number, and I have satisfied myself that the agent treats the tenants well on by behalf (gets back quickly if there are issues, etc). I've agreed a cost-threshold of 200 euro for repairs or replacements that the agent doesn't even have to check with me about, anything above that he shoots me a quick text or call first, anything below that he goes ahead with.

Some agents will charge a % of rent for each new lease. This means they don't care about the quality of the tenant. I'd never use one with that business model (I did once, it worked out fine, but really makes no sense).

• Registered Users Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Thanks. That's cleared up my misconceptions.

• Advertisement
Advertisement