Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pedal recommendations

Options
  • 09-01-2022 9:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

My bike just has standard pedals on it and want to upgrade to a better set. I'm relatively new to MTB and looking for suggestions. I mostly ride the Slieve Bloom trails. Nothing too hectic,

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭mad turnip

When I started out I used some DMR Vaults. They seemed quite decent for the money and I still use them on my older bike. Paint will chip on the aluminum version compared to the plastic composite but I don't think thats really avoidable if the pedals clip or drag the ground with metal pedals.

I now use nukeproof horizion pedals and while they are nearly triple the price they have a massive amount of grip for flat pedals. At first I thought these pedals had too much grip.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭youllbemine

Can't recommend these enough. I bought them 2 years for €52 so they're a bit more expensive at the minute.

Can't stress enough how good they are. Incredibly grippy and they look great too. Matched with a pair of FiveTens and you're feet are not coming off.

Only thing to note, as above, the paint will come off the black pair fairly quickly. I'd go for the grey pair day 1 as the black is beat looking. Still working perfectly though! Haven't touched them bar a bit of grease. The bearings are running nice and smooth.

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobile/ie/en/dmr-v12-magnesium-flat-pedals/rp-prod118164

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I have Shimano M324 pedals, they're SPD on one side and flat on the other so that I can use the bike with regular trainers and clip in when I wish too. I've used them for the last 4 years and love them.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Another fan of DMR Vaults. I use them in combination with a pair of Five Tens; those feet are not for moving.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

oneup components alu pedals are lovely

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

DMR Vaults and DMR V8's are different models. The vaults are DMR's top of the line offering, the V8's are a more budget friendly model. I've never used anything other than vaults, they just work and can be easily serviced so they last a lifetime.

I have heard great things about the Nukeproof horizon pro Sam Hill pedals also.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

The missus has DMR polymer pedals (V6 I think?) on her current bike and is more than happy with them. I think they were around the £25/30 mark if I recall, and you can get other, similar offerings from other brands like Nukeproof that would equally serve well in comparison.

Obviously there's no adjusting or replacing pins with a polymer pedal so it is give and take between what you want, what you need, and what your budget is.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,338 ✭✭✭prunudo

Another fan of the DMR family here, use the v12's myself. Can't fault them, good grip with 5tens and do what they say on the tin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭paddydriver

Use DMR Vaults too and FiveTen shoes.. the only issue is that once the foot is on then there is no adjusting it so once you start down that trail you need to get it right as the grip is phenomenal.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭steamsey

Using Nukeproof Horizon Pro Sam Hill now for several years with absolutely no issues (and zero maintenance) and they have been battered.

Another thread here on pedals - https://www.boards.ie/discussion/comment/109793200#Comment_109793200

• Advertisement
Advertisement