Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold House - stove or alternative?

Options
  • 09-01-2022 11:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

We have a cracked chimney flue leaking tar and are getting works completed soon - demolishing chimney stack etc by a professional chimney company. My question is, which is the best form of heating to get? Should I block up the chimney altogether and get an electric heater or is their another alternative? I know a stove gives great heat but I would like to explore other options especially with talks of fossil fuels being phased out in the future. Would appreciate any feedback please?

Unsure where to post, I never get an answer in plumbing & heating section. Perhaps some builders or renewable guys or gals have some knowledge please? Thank you.

Post edited by Spear on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Phil.x

Keep the stove. I've both stove and gas. Modern heat pumps need major expensive retro fitting on insulation, internal (underfloor heating) and external, it's really only suitable for a planned new build. If you fit it to an old home without retro fit your electricity bill will be off the chart, and your home will never be stove hot.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 CarolineL

Thanks for your feedback. Your probably right. Think new build is the way to go. Starting to regret buying.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Try asking in a forum that's related to the topic instead, such as the Heating forum:

Advertisement