Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cadetship 2022.

Options
  • 10-01-2022 1:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hello, Thank you for taking your time with my query. I am currently in my final months of my degree and have set my goal in stone of joining the army as a cadet. In preparation for the next recruitment of cadets I am working on my fitness level which is at a high level to date but room for further improvement.

I have a few questions:

When do applications open for the cadetship class of 2022?

My degree is computer science based, would I be assigned to CIS because of that or are you assigned by other assessments?

In preparation of becoming military fit, what areas of fitness should I focus on? I am currently running 20KM a week, working on my overall strength and climbing lugnaquilla every two weeks.

Upon completion of the cadetship, what are the working hours like of a officer?

Again, thank you very much for taking your time with my query.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4 emmetIreland

Update: In regards to the opening of the 2022 Cadetship competition. After speaking with a representative in charge of the recruitment social media they told they that it would open at some point in the spring.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 user6272

Hi guys quick question.

im preparing for the cadetship 2022 and wondering if anyone who has gone through it could answer my question;

are the psychometric tests the same as the samples ones on the defence forces website (military.ie)?

thanks 😊 

also, any tips for application process?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 odwyer22

Yes, the psychometric tests on Military.ie are the same as the intro/practice of the psychometric test given in the Cadetships. They are only to familiarize you with the tests, the real tests get more challenging but fundamentally they are the same.

Thanks very much

what types of psychometric tests are there? Is it like mechanical reasoning, spatial awareness...?

also, any tips for the interview ? How formal is it? What types of questions are asked ?

For the Army and Navy the psychometric tests are on the same categories as the ones on Military.ie. The Air Corp tests are harder, harder numeracy, and they have a section on navigational awareness.

For the interview the topics are as follows:

Planning & Organizing, Resilience, Leadership, Working with Others, Motivation, Decision Making

I would recommend, writing out examples for each of those 6 competencies. Give examples of when you have used these skills in your life. Getting across that you are a well rounded person etc.

The Interview is formal. I was sat across from 4 officers from Lt. - Commander. and a civilian from the Dept. of Defence. They were very friendly, willing to conversate. They just want to help get an understanding of you as a person and they will as questions on one competency each.

For example, they will ask "Give me an example of when you had to Motivate yourself or others". They will give you a chance to talk about your personal experiences and supplement that with follow up questions.

I did a Navy and Army Interview. Was **** it for both of them. I got offered the Navy Cadetship, rejected by the Army. Was probably more prepared for the Navy one tbf. You just need to practice talking points so that when you are under pressure with the 5 officers looking at you that you don't freeze and you have something to talk about and show you have a well rounded character.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 34 FeNaS_19

While having a computer science degree will help your odds ,you will join as an army line cadet and upon completion of the cadetship will have the option to apply for CIS as your unit of choice.

As for fitness,focus on your running with weights,you'll get built up over the course of the cadetship but endurance running will be your bread and butter. Standard PT weight is 16kg plus helmet and rifle but you'll be built up to this

Check out mindmill and their practise tests,these are very similar if not identical to the ones you'll be doing for the actual application process

Any idea on how best to prep for the Air Corp tests? Especially numeracy?

There are online course books available for air corp tests,they are paid however

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Cadetirldub

Good luck to everyone applying. I won't be going this year myself.

Strange that there is no Air Corps competition this time around. Especially with Seán Clancy as Chief of Staff and seems like there's an article in the news every week now about the need for an improved Air Corps.

Maybe they will hold one later, but if memory serves, all 3 competitions are typically announced at once.

There's been some changes to the air corp cadetship this year and it's very possible they're adjusting the dates for application

Interesting. Do you know what these changes are?

The length of time spent training at the curragh had been reduced,where previously the air corp cadets would complete the full 17 month cadetship at the curragh,then be sent to baldonnel. It's now more similar to the naval cadets,where they complete phase 1 of training in the curragh and are sent to baldonnel to complete the rest

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Howok

Good luck to everyone who will be in

Strange considering that its only recently that they did the full training and cadets were commissioned before pilot training, but I guess it makes sense. I guess they need pilots more so than soldiers and this will mean pilots get trained quicker.

Where are they online? Any idea when the AC Cadetship will open?

Is the interview online or in person?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 emmetIreland

Thank you for the kind and informative replies from everyone. I have chosen a different path due to the wages in the Defence Forces, next to impossible to live on them starting off. I've joined the reserves though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Mam1996

Probably a silly question but I have to ask, my son was going to apply for the cadetship but is 4cm over the height. I guess there's no point now but just in case anyone knew of anyone getting through I thought I'd ask. He's gutted as he meets all the requirements in appendix e, i.e. scapula to thumb, knee to floor etc, his overall height seems to be a problem though.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 RCB1A

Well lads, I did the Air Corps psychometric test 2 weeks ago but haven't heard anything since, anyone in the same boat? Anyone do the physical and group assessments yet?

I'll send an email there just to double check but was wondering from your side of things

same here, heard nothing let.

did you get a reply for the email yet?

what did you think of the assessments?

• Registered Users Posts: 16 TRL23

Hi Guys,

Does anyone have a link or picture of the timetable, I can’t find it anywhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 willywonky

Here is the timeline.

Anyone know how much prior notice we are given for attending the fitness test?

Anyone hear anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Conor4233

Got the invitation just now for stage 2 for next Tuesday, anyone have any idea how many are invited to stage 2?

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭densification

What is the dress code to a fitness test/group exercise day, given you'll be there for over 9 hours?

Also, do we know how many applied this year to the different branches?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Conor4233

I’d imagine arrive in smart casual as they mentioned no need for suits in the email, and change into running gear over there or the other way around. It’s nearly always a 70/20/10 split as far as I’ve seen before for army/naval/AC cadets

Advertisement