Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best compact full-frame Canon DSLR?

• 10-01-2022 11:54am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,728 ✭✭✭

Considering the move up from APS-C but really value the compact nature of the smaller sensor cameras. Have already made a decent investment in Canon glass - both EF and EF-S - so happy to stay with Canon and stay with EF mounts. No great desire to move to mirrorless but perhaps I'm missing a trick there (?). The thought of lens adaptors has me wary but maybe I'm overthinking it. I did hear Canon mirrorless systems are overpriced and not coming down yet, so.....

Don't really want a large cumbersome body - likes of a 1D would be totally out for example. Ok with going a year or two old but would rather stay with later processors, frame rates, and AF developments if possible. Budget maybe up to about 1500 - less would be ideal

Looking around it's hard to see beyond a 6D mk2?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 250 ✭✭jbv

Not willing to get a grey market? Had no problems using Effinity or Eglobal (gone now) in the past. Got my 5DSR at a really good price a while back. The EOS R with a Canon EF adaptor should work fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,728 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Actually I mostly buy from grey market and have had lots of happy purchases from e-infin.com.

The 5DS/R did catch my eye but I was looking for something slightly newer. Pixels aside would you rate the 5DS/R higher than the 6D2?

6D2 seems to score very well, bit lighter too.

So........if I was to expand my research to mirrorless systems, what system would be a good buy in that budget that would allow me to keep my (non-L) EF lenses and build on from there but still get the advantage of new tech, light weight, and future-proofing to some degree?

Would like:

Full-frame

Good burst frame rate with fast max shutter for sports.

Light

60fps video (does not have to be 4K)

Great battery life

Light

Sensor that's sharp at high res for large printing.

I do like an optical viewfinder.

Articulating screen

Light.

Weatherproof

Small.

I did owned the Canon 6D MK1 in the past. I liked her performance in low light. Decided not to upgrade to MK2 and decided to go for the 5DSR instead. Don't need the Wifi feature or touch screen. Having 2 slot cards, impressive fast focus make me choose the 5DSR.

Looks like the 6D mk2 is proper upgrade over the mk1.

Much difference in the size/weights between 6D2 and 5DSR?

• Advertisement

I liked the 6D mk1 for the low light abilities. The mk2 looking at the reviews it didn't meet that criteria. It has a lot of improvements over mk1, however not enough for my needs.

The size and the weight between 6d mk2 and 5dsr it was insignificant for me.

A mirrorless will make it count, however if using EF mount lenses plus EF adapter adds up.

The resolution and the fact that you can crop a lot more, plus dual cards did it for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 216 ✭✭REPTILEDAN88

Id save a bit more and buy a Canon R6 over the 6d etc, its much better with its low light performance, 12/20fps stills, 4k 60fps/1080p 120fps video etc.

Another option is a Sony A7Riii, its decent with the Canon lenses adapted, 10fps and has over x2 the res of the R6 @ 42.4mp. vs the R6's 20mp. You'd pick one up for 16-1800ish. Granted you'll need the Sigma mc 11 or Metabones adapter to use EF glass but with the R6 you'll need the EF to RF too and speaking as someone who owns the R6 and adapts EF glass to it both Canon and Sigma lenses the performance is very good imo.

Cheers - that's interesting. Had not considered full-frame mirrorless. R6 is twice the price of a 6D2 however so that's a big factor.

Looks like an excellent package though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭ablelocks

there canon 6d mk2 ('90% certain it's a mk2) in harvey norman in limerick on clearance @ €1650ish if that's of interest - possibly a display model, but it's in a locked glass display cabinet so not being pawed by the masses

Cheers ablelocks. It's €1150 on e-infin.com (and probably eslewhere) at the moment. Good spot though!

If I was considering that expense I think I would be defo looking at newer tech - possibly mirrorless.

• Advertisement

Coming back on this for a moment. Was chatting to a chap at a sports event last weekend and his opinion was that unless I had serious €€€ to drop on a rig, the best bang-for-buck to shoot live action outdoor sports is a high-end APS-C body with a decently long telephoto. Look for something with decent fps and pretty recent, and recommended the 90D over a slower full-frame body that will compromise on the reach.

Sorta opened this question up for me again - didn't get anything yet. Most of my interest here is outdoor sport, with very occasional indoor action. Did find that variable aperture lenses at F/4 open were just too dark indoors and required a lot of post-manipulation to improve. Took a series of shots with a 2.8 pancake lens last weekend and with cropping I was getting some decent shots.

Has me thinking again now. Any advice from here?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 216 ✭✭REPTILEDAN88

The 90d paired with the Sigma 50-100mm f1.8 Art lens would be a good combo for indoor sports imo. I use one on my 80d, its very sharp and with the higher mp of the 90d you have the option of cropping a bit more than I would with my 80d.

Advertisement