Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ancestry results

• 10-01-2022 1:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭

Is it normal for an Irish person with no known Greek\Italian ancestors to get 8-10% in DNA ancestry results?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,730 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The results are based on what other people have put in, so you can get some complete outliers based on inaccurate data entered by others for instance.

Are you finding any matches either there or with obvious heritage from there?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭Seanachai

One 3rd cousin in Greece, 6 in Italy, also 3rd cousins.

If you can see their public trees, look for clangers about location on your shared ancestors.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I wouldn't lay any store in the ethnicity results. Focus on the matches as L1011 says.

Genealogy Forum Mod

I don't mind if I am part med but I'm going to go for a more comprehensive test.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,078 ✭✭✭OU812

Did you do a DNA test or is this just matching people in trees?

None of the tests have any better data than what possibly very fallible people have written down. Ancestry gives me super accurate locations... For one side of my family only. Because that's where most of the better research (and test volume) is

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Jellybaby_1

Normally I would have agreed with you Pinky, however, my first DNA results around 2017-2018 told me I was 1% Polynesian. Oh how we laughed!! Turns out I have distant relatives in Australia and their relatives are all over the Polynesian Triangle. Irish emigrants ended up all over the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭55Gem

But if the people you descend from didn't emigrate than you will not have any Polynesian DNA, your relatives descended from those who emigrated will. Unless of course you know of someone who came back from that area and you directly descend from them.

If not you are related to people with Polynesian DNA therefore the site you tested with added Polynesian to your result.

I expect the same has happened with Seanachai results as there are fairly close matches from Greece and Italy.

I'd be curious which company was used. I find Ancestry tend to have better Ethnicity for me but still it should be taken as a guide and bit of fun only.

DNA test with MyHeritage, it appears to be just a low cycle one that was promoted before Christmas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,078 ✭✭✭OU812

DNA doesn’t lie. I’d recommend a follow up test with ancestry to confirm details (there will be slight differences), then go looking for detail.

What do you mean by 'low cycle'?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Jellybaby_1

In my case it was my great-aunt who emigrated and married a local chap and they had children and grandchildren who are now all over the place and some have done DNA tests by Ancestry. My own test was also by Ancestry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 408 ✭✭VirginiaB

I think Ancestry has the best results as they have the largest database--but it's still ethnicity done with a broad brush or how could our results change every time they update their ethnicity estimates? And sorry to repeat this, but I have a great-grandfather from northern Spain--Asturias on the north coast. Ancestry originally had me as 13% Iberian (great-grandparent equals 12 1/2% so just about right) and now I'm down to zero. They do not test in Spain, my cousins there tell me so they have little to compare my results with. Yet I do have some Spanish (without any Irish, Scottish DNA) matches, not including my known close American cousins whose Spanish has also disappeared from Ancestry's DNA.

And off-topic but Ancestry doesn't even have many Spanish records, very odd considering how much of the Western Hemisphere is Spanish-descended, not to mention Spain itself. And the records are there in Spain, going back centuries. The few we have gotten are a gold mine of detail. Sorry for my OT rant!

Right - none of the DNA tests used for genealogy are whole genome sequencing tests.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

My Ancestry test came back 100% Cork. Not Irish. They had it narrowed down to Cork.

And yes, I am from Cork. But I know for a fact that My GG Grandmother was from Jersey, her father from Yorkshire. GG Grandfather was born in London to a father from Limavady and a mother from Limerick. Not exactly 100% Cork.

Then they updated and I became 2% Scottish, 2% Munster, 94% Cork.

I'm back to 100% Cork in their latest update.

Uploaded the file to Heritage and they say Eastern Europe and Middle East make up 8% - but it's a different part of the Middle East to my mother's 9%. And her sister is 4% Italian but poor Mam hasn't a sniff of Med in her DNA.

Advertisement