Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doctors surgeries receptionists

Comments

• I am on record on the forum of saying I would like my full medical record to be easily accessible, with my permission, to all medical professionals, doctors, nurses, physios, pharmacists etc. I’m presently stuck in a hospital waiting for a diagnosis which could have been speeded up by more accessibility of records. I just don’t want to have to necessarily need to explicitly talk in full detail about all my medical complaints that may arise. I don’t mind receptionist seeing them, I just don’t want to have a detailed interactive conversation.

I’m always helpful to staff, medical and admin, always cooperate with detail, and I have been praised by staff in this hospital for my forthrightness and my ability to interpret well what I am told and to be asking relevant questions. So I’m not for failing to cooperate with staff, I just don’t want to always discuss everything, and fortunately in my case the admin staff do know I’ve had some serious issues and are usually very good about giving me appointments. But the idea that everyone should detail every blessed aspect of their case to admin is not on imo. Some people are really struggling with likes of mental health & it takes a great deal to even get discussing it with the doctor without discussing out loud to the admin.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

I guess the only suggestion then is to find a GP that isn't....

"A GP who thinks this is ok should not quite frankly be in practise."

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭sundodger5

Helpful to staff? But clearly do not respect them based on the name calling comments by you and others on here to GP receptionists.

• Please observe, I’ve not name-called any receptionists myself, I’ve pointed out what is obviously unacceptable practise to any reasonably minded person. Btw, respect is always a two-way process. It seems broadly speaking there is less mutual respect nowadays on the part of both patients/clients & medical staff, most especially in areas where the pressure is on. Also I have observed myself medical staff appear to have less respect for one another than in the past. During my many hospital stays I’ve heard consultants diss other consultants and more lately GPs. The pressure is turning a lot of people into dicks, tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,724 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

I think most would remember their GPs as someone who they felt they had a personal connection with, many would have their GPs home number. We now live in a different era where GP clinics who used to have manageable numbers are forced to close their lists because they have become unmanageable. With thousands of patients, it is unrealistic to expect your GP to remember everything about you.

If it was about making money, GPs would not be capping their patient lists and would not be referring patients to A&E. We have also seen out of hours services closing because of lack of funding, so look, if you think it is about money, no one will change your mind, but a word of advice, if the person at the end of the phone is trying to help you make an appointment, telling them “stop being nosey” is counterproductive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭apache

I rarely go to the GP. I'd have to be very sick because of all this carry on. He has posters up in the waiting room about how stressed GPs are etc.

He's not good with mental health but he writes me a sick cert for work every week. I order it on the phone and collect it off the secretary and give her a tenner. That is handy.

Only thing that annoys me is receptionist repeats my name and everything I say to the waiting room. That pisses me off. Apart from that she's pleasent enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,169 ✭✭✭screamer

Oh LOL, really. Those “binty receptionists” have access to all your records anyway. Do you really think they haven’t seen or heard it all before…. Anyways, when I’m very unwell or the kids are I’ll call the receptionist and tell her outright what’s wrong so that she can give us the earliest appointment. I’m lucky the receptionist there is one capable lady, I know her for years and without her the surgery would not run as it does.

You might want to quote who you're talking to.

"...Please observe, I’ve not name-called any receptionists myself..."

Who is "Binty" then.

Ragging on the lowest paid person following out the instructions of the GP or Practice owner seems unreasonable.

It's a dysfunctional system. I don't think it's the receptions fault though.

Seems to be a revolving door of doctors in our local surgeries. All of which are completely over run.

• Advertisement

• I posted a giff in response to another poster, obviously an ott tongue-in-cheek one. I actually am painting my finger more at what the GP service has become, and how people are interacting in the setting and there’s a diminishing number of saints out there.

You'd have to consider why the GP service has been allowed to degrade and massive demand thrown at it with no regard of the practicalities. It took COVID to light a fire under many to get their systems into this century.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭sundodger5

The problem is people. The majority want it me and now. Any role be it healthcare or otherwise has a finite capacity to deal with customers. Reading other posts on here about 10 minute appointment times, only one problem per appointment and people giving out about this. Why do you think this is? It is because the GP is trying to see as many as they can. Sometimes a 10 minute slot rolls into 30 minutes. Get a few of those in the day and everyone is giving stick to, as you call them, Binty.

Everyone wants as much time as they like in the room but do not want to be inconvenienced by someone else having the same.

My thoughts, medical cards get x amount of free visits per year, after that a small charge per visit.

It would eliminate some of the absolute service hogging that goes on because it is "free".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,439 ✭✭✭NSAman

I'd have to disagree Dav010. That is what they WANT.

I live in the States. Yes my doctor has a large practice. Last Saturday night, a neighbour phoned to ask for help. 10pm (snowstorm).

I went to her house (walked 500meters) with some medication for pain that I have personally. We phoned my doctors mobile (who happens to be her doctor also). He picked up and spent the time talking to her and advising about the medications that I had brought (anything contra indicated was not used).

Nothing was coming in our out as the roads were too bad. He took the time, knew the patient and her history and talked to her. If in Ireland, go to hospital.......

Healthcare is not about numbers (or it should not be in my humble opinion), it is about people. Irish healthcare (and I use the term loosely) has devolved into something that is absolutely useless for the vast majority of people.

I agree there should be a set amount say 3 or 4 visits per medical/GP card annually.

I’m sure many could provide you with the same example of good service here, but having worked and studied in the US, I would by no means hold it up as a model healthcare provider. At least here everyone has access to healthcare, a large percentage of it for free, whilst you have access to your US GP only because you either have health insurance or you pay considerably more than you do here. So please don’t be facetious and accuse Clinics here as money making machines whilst holding up private clinics/hospitals in the US as bastions of good practice and altruism.

You ask any Clinic receptionist who they remember, it will sometimes be the really nice patients, it will always be the difficult ones, telling the receptionist to stop being nosey when they are enquiring why you need an urgent appointment, and trying to help you get it, indicates that you think they are interested in getting the information due to personal interest. Which of course is nonsensical when you consider they probably have a hundred phone calls that day and thousands of patients if it is a busy practice with multiple GPs.

Seems like its about numbers in the US.

Learning about the shortage of primary-care physicians in Vermont, Foster decided to use the opportunity to find a PCP as a chance to examine the market as a "secret shopper."

"What I found was I was completely incapable of getting a doctor," he said. "I called eight places and the best I got was on an indefinite wait list, which never came to fruition."

Rural areas comprise about two-thirds of the primary care health professional shortage areas nationwide, even though only 20% of Americans live in rural areas.

The problem is also likely to worsen over time. Projections indicate that the United States will likely suffer a shortage of between 17,800 and 48,000 PCPs by 2034.

Moreover, health care professionals believe that the shortage of PCPs can make other elements of health care more expensive and worsen overall patient outcomes. Sawin gave the example of a person getting strep throat. Without a PCP, the person might go to a local hospital emergency room, which is significantly more expensive than other treatment options.

We must live in a weird area then, very Rural indeed :) great health services though.

I’m not holding the American system as a bastion of good service. I’m just giving my own personal experience of here. Yes I have health insurance, but I also carry health insurance in Ireland. The difference between services are stark! Waiting here is a no-no. Ireland, it’s all waiting. Access is monetarily driven here, not in ireland. How much do you pay here… many have employment insurance as part of the job, ireland you pay by tax and/or health insurance. How much a year do you pay for health insurance in ireland? It’s hidden but judging by basics, around 5000 a year. I pay nothing as it’s my employment paying for it.

there are absolutely major pros and cons in each country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,121 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

I get the point about making best use of appointments but again a nurse or someone medically trained and who has a need to know such specific confidential patient information should be doing that. I had a situation ince wgen I slept with someone that I regretted and wanted an STI test, should I have to tell a secretary that? I ended up going to a hospital clinic on that occasion

Before you post anymore nonsense on this, you are bound to know someone there who doesn’t have healthcare insurance with their job and can’t afford to get sick, ask them which system they would prefer. Then consider how the provision of healthcare Stateside would change if Joe Biden handed out medical cards for free GP/Hospital treatment on a similar scale to Ireland (over half our population will be entitled to free GP care when eligibility rules change after April 1st) to the American population or offered virtually free hospital care to those who didn’t have private health insurance.

If you want a healthcare system in Ireland where only those whose employers offer private healthcare or who can afford to buy it themselves, are able to see a GP/go to Hospital like in the US, then you would undoubtedly see a reduction in wait times as only a minority would have access to both.

Incidentally, in the US medical secretaries/administrators do not require certification. Their training courses are very similar to those available here according to this website.

https://www.coursera.org/articles/medical-secretary

Post edited by Dav010 on

• Advertisement

Hospitals have admin staff and receptionists too. Who do you think does all the filing billing and scheduling there?

Waiting is a no-no really?

"...Right now, in the state there’s an average wait time of three months for people to get an initial appointment..." 

In 2022, a typical patient must wait 20.6 days for a primary care visit. Although this is down from a 29.3-day wait time in 2017, this change could be indicative of the shifting landscape of primary care as alternative care sites gain traction and telehealth booms. It is important to note the significant disparities by location. The average wait times to see a family medicine physician range from a high of 44 days in Portland, Oregon, to a low of eight days in Washington, DC. Bostonians can expect to wait 40 days due in part to professional commitments and out-of-towner demand....

Yep really, no waiting.

it’s better than 18 months for a cancer issue my brother had in Ireland.

my cancer surgery was done in 3 days from diagnosis here.

As I have said there are pros and cons in both systems.

I can only state my experience with both systems. Here I don’t wait, ireland is different.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,035 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

So you don't actually set any value on nurses being registered professionals answerable to an external body, as well as their immediate employer.

I guess that explains why you think that a non-medically-trained clerical worker can adequately triage - you don't set any store on the knowledge, skills or competence of other members of the healthcare team.

What should you do if you can't get nurses to answer the phone and sit on reception all day?

Why did did you not bring your brother to your GP in the US then? If there is no waiting list and they do cancer treatment & surgeries?

You had better ask him, I offered.

this isn’t about USA v’s Ireland. It’s about healthcare in general. Intrusion by front line receptionists asking personal questions about patient care. It doesn’t happen here. Your receptionist here does the timing and scheduling and fee taking (if there are any).

the doctors nurse, asks the basics and the doctor then sees you.

to organise a doctors visit you phone up, to the receptionist who puts you through to the doctors nurse…she will organise the appointment. If you are urgent, it’s same day. If it’s a routine check-up schedule that with receptionists. The most I have ever had to wait is one day.

so pretty much no wait.

MRI same day. Colonoscopy two days. X rays in practise. Surgery for me, seen on Monday, biopsy taken. Result on Tuesday, surgery on Friday.

I have my doctors cell number for after hours but am never going to call unless it’s an emergency. As in last Saturday.

2 major hospitals for a small population. 1 local 24 hour hospital for a population of around 5000 with an ER.

im lucky, many place do not have these options. Yet in many places they DO exist.

Oh and the kicker…. Refund of ER fee $120 as I was not seen in 15 minutes by a doctor…try that in Beaumont or anywhere else in an ER in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,242 ✭✭✭Deeec

I have a cousin living in the US. He was very ill last year. He said the care he received was faultless. Every issue was dealt with immediately - no waiting. Doctor even phoned him once a week for months to check in on him. Doctors know their patients where as here in Ireland thats been lost.

Often on forms for both myself and the children we are asked to provide our GPs name. I have to laugh at this question as the true answer is although I am registered with the practice since birth I dont have a regular GP. Impossible to get an appointment and if you do its with some random gp that probably wont even be in the practice next time you need them. GPs in Ireland no longer know their patients - all they want to do is do blood pressure checks and give referrals onto consultants and hospitals. If your actually sick now forget about getting to see a GP in a timely manner - its extremely worrying where our healthcare in Ireland is going.

Ah come on now.....

The nurses dont have to sit all day on reception. The receptionist answers the phone and if a patient describes their issue as non urgent they get an appointment for next week or whenever. If the patient says their issue is urgent the receptionist takes name and phone number and the patient gets a call back from the nurse to discuss the issue. If the nurse feels the issue is urgent and needs GP attention she gives an appointment or phone appointment with GP.

And before you say nurses wont do that - yes they will. This is currently the system in doctor on call services and VHI swiftcare clinics.

• Advertisement

Your getting ridiculous and coming across as not credible at this stage.

Advertisement