Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doctors surgeries receptionists

12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Tiredandcranky

'Following triage instructions' begs the question 'is the receptionist suitably trained to follow said instructions'.

GP surgeries are under more pressure than ever before. So, Binty the receptionist is deferring more appointments than she ever did before, and has far more opportunities to make critical errors.

It's uncharted territory, and if I were a GP, I'd be seeking legal advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Tiredandcranky

Following triage instructions' begs the question 'is the receptionist suitably trained to follow said instructions'.

GP surgeries are under more pressure than ever before. So, Binty the receptionist is deferring more appointments than she ever did before, and has far more opportunities to make critical errors.

It's uncharted territory, and if I were a GP, I'd be seeking legal advice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,724 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Medical secretaries answering the phone to make appointments is not unchartered territory, where are you getting that from?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭sundodger5

Can we quit with the name calling stuff? Unnecessary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

The thread is about GPs. Not cancer treatments in private hospital, or vague anacdotal meandering.

The problems with waiting times in the US PCP doctors have been widely documented for many years.

If you want to ignore all the reports and data you're really only here for a mindless rant.

• Advertisement

• It is when 10 years ago said receptionist had the simpler choice to give an appointment same day or within a couple of days, or advice to go to an Emergency dept. The latter with unexplained new onset chest pain etc, same day appointment eg for someone otherwise known to be healthy who has a nasty chest infection maybe with some bloody sputum, or someone in mental health distress. Within days for all other stuff. With current pressure, triage is that bit more nuanced and the burden of decision is greater for the receptionist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,724 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Again, and I’m not sure why this appears so difficult to understand, the burden lies with the GP to set protocols for whomever answers the phone, be they the medical secretary or nurse, to follow, not the Secretary, not the Nurse.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

Both the out of hours and the Swiftcare clinics you'll talk to phone operator first. Then the nurse rings you back. Or when you call in theres a receptionist who takes your details then you get called into see a nurse. Same as A&E. I can only assume you've never used either.

I asked why not use those services instead of a GP if they are preferred and faster...but no answer. Seems like people prefer to butt heads with a service they don't like than use an easy fast alternative.

Was in a Swiftcare they other week with a family member. Called in cold and seen within about 10 mins and out door in under an hour. That's better than those US stories. They had to wait 3 days.

GPs mostly don't have nurses and if they do they are onsite for specific treatments or clinics like taking blood or injections etc.

To put that in context. You're talking of a town the size of donabate or Kinsale or kells having two hospitals. Two private hospitals, both like a Blackrock or Hermitage hospital doing cardiac procedures.

Then implying this is normal across the US when non of the data or studies agree with you.

• Advertisement

Medical secretaries or secretaries in general acting as gate keepers has always been a thing. It hasn't just happened recently.

• If you have the requisite insurance VHI Swiftcare excellent, I use it myself as I have the insurance.

• I think I’ve clearly implied I understand that. I said that the pressure has increased so much that it has become way more complex and problematic for them to carry out their job.

At some point this thread will join the dots that paying for faster access to health care is the elephant in the room behind most things in this thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,242 ✭✭✭Deeec

Did you even read my post - it appears you didnt even bother to read what I wrote about how the service works. Yes I have used both services so I know how it works and have I have found both to be efficient.

So why doesnt everyone use out of hours doc or vhi - Because patients want to use their own local GP service. They want to build a relationship with their GP who knows their medical history. Thats why they register with a practice. Not everyone lives within travelling distance of a VHI swiftcare clinic or indeed has VHI. Out of hours service is not meant to be used as a regular GP service - you do know that right?

Neither cuts out a receptionist. Which is tried to imply IMO.

The out of hours are GPs. Its not a mini A&E.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,439 ✭✭✭NSAman

So in your opinion, it can’t exist? There are two major general hospitals in the “large” city 50000 people with another large clinic being built right now. 13 miles away. Our little city 5000 people has one fully functional hospital. You can give every report you want… you can cite general reports. It exists.

there are two major doctor surgeries (medical clinics) in our small town… one by itself, one located in the small hospital, in one I think there are 5 doctors, the other has 7 doctors.

you may not agree with what I am saying. I am living with this so I know.

Ireland has a TERRIBLE system for healthcare in general, if you don’t agree then you are living in cloud cuckoo land.

does Ireland have benefits? Absolutely. Is it badly organised? Absolutely!

no where is perfect, yet don’t deny what you don’t know.

I'm saying its not atypical in the US. 5000 people is a medium Irish town not a city. And you've given contradicting versions of this story.

It would me like saying Blackrock, Dublin (pop 3,700) has two Hospitals. The Blackrock clinic and St Vincent's. You can certainly walk in there and get immediately seen in the their Private A&E. Mater Private also has one buried in their basement.

I have no idea why your derailing this to be about private hospitals, or national health systems. The thread is about medical secretaries in GPs. "Doctors surgeries receptionists" or the GP system in general. They mostly don't have nurses. Many have one doctor and one secretary. It's not about private hospitals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,439 ✭✭✭NSAman

Where have I contradicted myself?

we are talking about receptionists asking personal health questions which they are not qualified to ask in Ireland. That does NOT happen in other countries, you speak to a qualified nurse.

if anyone has derailed it is you, trying to back a position that is blatantly wrong. I have pointed out my experiences in both Ireland and the US and I can give you other countries where this does NOT happen as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

I think my GP has a great system. They now have an urgent care clinic that runs for 3 hours in the morning & 3 hours each afternoon. Appointments can only be made online (the night before at the earliest) or with the receptionist. Only 1 issue will be dealt with in the urgent care piece (i.e. no going in to discuss all your various ailments - it must be something you need to be seen with today) and each doctor in the practice gives a day a week to it. So no you don't know who you're getting but they all have access to the notes in the system for you. They have a triage form for it so they have an idea of what they're dealing with. However if you indicate anything that could be a covid symptom, the receptionist will ring & ask a couple of extra questions before approving the in person appointment. Works really well for them & means there's always same day appointments in place for people who do need it.

Otherwise you can use their online booking system for an appointment or ring the surgery & talk to the receptionist. Who (in the one I'm in) all have a medical secretary qualification. I think a lot of the problems in GP surgeries today is the fact that some are not willing to move with the times in how to organise things. Or that there is a shocking lack of GPs in general which makes getting an appointment difficult because there literally just isn't anyone available.

• Advertisement

Sound good. I like the online prescription system in mine, does direct to the Chemist. You can also request a call back from the doctor. I moved from a smaller surgery because you'd be waiting hours in the waiting room. The one I'm in now, though is in a proper building and a large practice. Still have shortage of GPs and only a part-time nurse.

I'm not sure people get there's a shortage of GPs. You get people insisting to see a GP on the spot when there's no GPs on site, just staff doing admin work.

I suspect an online booking system would solve a lot of issues for many.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

My doctor only does the straight to chemist prescriptions to reduce their printing and they also do a prescription request (if you don't have to see the doctor to get a new one). It's not a big practice at all that I'm in but the doctors are all very good at wanting to keep it up to date. There is a full time nurse too but that's down to the age profile of the patients changing to where they needed someone to do all the baby vaccinations and now she also does the bloods/heart pressure monitor fittings etc so that the doctors can focus on the other areas.

Completely. I get that there are older patients who won't/don't want to use it but from talking to the admin staff in mine, it's helped them reduce down the number of calls so that they can really help those who do call in as opposed to people being put on hold for ages or not being able to get through.

Advertisement