Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Audible

Options
  • 10-01-2022 11:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Sorry I can't find anywhere to post this and I hope here is okay.

I am thinking of joining audible to listen to books and podcasts when I walk. Has anyone joined? Is it worth it?

Comments

I had it for years and used it quite a lot. I listened mostly during the commute. You can get through quite a lot of books that way over time, although perhaps at a somewhat more shallow comprehension than reading.

One potential issue for some people is that by joining Audible, you will be supporting Amazon. There is a different alternative to consider for audio books: https://libro.fm/ - somewhat more expensive but the money actually supports independent bookstores. They both have a similar pricing model: the standard monthly subscription gets you one book per month (most books end up costing a "point" when using subscription, regardless of listed price). I think for both there is also a more expensive subscription for 2 or 3 "points" per month.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭el_gaucho

I like it. I find it so convenient to listen while I’m doing something or in bed. You’re at the mercy of the narrator and some books are ruined by poor narrators. Sometimes it’s just personal taste I suppose.

You can get the monthly option and cancel anytime if you’re not using it. I cancelled and rejoined a few times over the years. It works out cheaper if you go for the 12 or 24 credit option.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

I haven't really availed of it, I did sign up once about two years ago for a free month and liked it, but I haven't yet embraced audiobooks despite liking them.

Anyway, the main reason for my reply is to let you know there are often offers available that you can try. I am not sure of all the offers available at the minute, but this one seems excellent.

It's through the Audible Germany portal (sign in as normal to amazon) and get 6 months for €2.95 per month. I haven't tried it, so not 100% sure it works, but I can't imagine it wouldn't.

I am currently signed into audible Germany and viewing the English books without credits (selected English in the side menu).

Remember you can pause your subcription at any time and continue back any time by unpausing it when you are ready.

Here is the offer - https://www.audible.de/ep/flexi-aboW70-6

Once signed in and you have bought credits, you can change the language to English

https://oneandroid.net/how-to-change-the-language-in-audible-step-by-step/

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Useless Lump

I used the free trial recently.

I was disappointed to discover that the subscription price only gives you access to a limited number of audiobooks. Most you have to buy.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

I use audible. It is fairly good, in that while there are relatively few subsciption based offerings the alternative, paid ones, are offer on "sale". A good alternative to audibile is scribd. This has a wider range of free audio-books but the UI experience is somewhat lacking.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,070 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

I've used Audible extensively, a few comments:-

I never bought Audible books at full price or even sale price, I just accumulated the monthly credits that come with your membership, and used those to buy books.

If you listen to more than one book a month then I either wait for my new credit to drop, or I would pick something from the Audible unlimited range, the books and podcasts that you can download for free from your monthly membership. If you're paying full whack for various extra books then in one sense it is probably no worse than buying paperbacks, but mentally I struggled with justifying it.

What's included in the unlimited selection kind of varies... It won't be chart topping stuff that you might actually want, but it's not a terrible selection either. A lot of classics that you might want are included in it... Jane Austen etc.

I was able to get buy on the above, mainly relying on the monthly credit, because I tend to just dip in and out and listened to Audible on commutes. Some of the books I was listening to were also really long, which helped. I steered away from using my credits on short books (less than 10 hours).

I ended up accumulating a bit of a backlog and I actually paused my membership at various times, and eventually I cancelled it.

What's happened after that is quite interesting, they've offered me various deals to come back. The most recent was 50% off for 4 months, which works out at about 5.50 per month. Then it's back to 9 euro a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭todolist

I am allowed to share one book with a friend.I sent it but they only get to hear the five minute sample? Do they need to have the audible app too?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭Firblog

Have been using Audible for several months now - during 40mins eachway commute - keeps me from giving out to the radio...

Looking for some recommendations - Sci-fi & Fantasy, available on Audible of course :)

Advertisement