Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Academy Awards (Oscars 2022)

Comments

It would be great to see Chris Rock play Will Smith and Will Smith play Chris Rock....

Oh actually...

Fuck, they are going to do that in an incredibly unfunny SNL sketch in about 4 months aren't they?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 455 ✭✭KieferFan69

Yasbut at the same time you could imagine several of the comedians they use on oscars to come up with that joke, let’s face it, worse has been said before and no one was hurt, the presenter of this show issued not one funny joke, perhaps he deserved to be slapped for that too, in any case I feel I have been slapped , but rightly so, in this case I tip my hat to smith

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,481 ✭✭✭MfMan

Benedict Cumberbatch and Tom Cruise I'd imagine. Jane Campion to direct as a kind of sequel to 'Power...'

Actually kiefer would be perfect for the perpetrator

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

I feel these mod warnings are no good any more. The bar has been raised, now you need to walk casually up to the person and deliver them a ferocious slap in the face.

Dont worry I feel as though a vicious slap was added to my face . This individual singles me out and to that man, I tip my hat

I will say in the case of smith it seems likely he delivered a soft punch rather than slap to the other actor, or a ‘smack’ (loosely closed hand where knuckles and fingers still connect

you can see the comedian was appalled

If this means I can smack a politician canvassing at my door for what I perceive is a lie or an insult, I'm onboard

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Liza Minelli has looked awful for twenty years and more

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,604 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Meryl Streep in three roles three nominations as Will Chris and Jada, written and directed by Aaron Sorkin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭Caquas

Will Smith never claimed he was “defending his wife’s honour” although he made two long-winded attempts to exonerate himself.

In fact, he was reacting to a joke about his wife. Moreover, he was clearly responding to her displeasure at the remark. He did talk a lot of family but he said his actions “were not indicative of the man he wants to be”.

So why didn’t he use the oldest excuse for violence known to man?

Answer that and you will understand the new code of honour, at least the Hollywood version.

• Advertisement

Great comment from that reddit thread

Every year the Oscars more and more resembles those weird people from the Hunger Games capital city

Lol

On point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Apparently that's a lie.

Canandian producer J Miles Dale has said that no attempt was made to speak to or remove Will. And he was at the ceremony.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,710 ✭✭✭✭walshb

The more I look at it the more disgusting an act Smith did. The joke, remark, quip or whatever was a nothing. It’s a complete red herring. It was extremely tame.

Jada rolled her eyes is all, and her scumbag husband (for whatever perverse reason) decided to assault another man in the most public of ways to humiliate him.

But absolute kudos to Rock for his complete poise and composure (for what was a disgraceful act carried out against him) by a thug and a coward, who proved how nasty he is with his smug grin as he walked away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,387 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

They should have made the rash decision not to award Smith best actor on the night, perhaps award him in the post or have a rethink after review conclusion.

I personally don't think it's wise to strip him after as punishment, far more questionable people hold Oscars it's not a can of worms worth opening.

Doesn't best Actor generally hand over the best Actress gong? Not ideal having last years sour news story overshadowing someone, just ban him from next years and move on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

Excellently put. A Scumbag who's shown his true colours.

Apparently Will Smith is resigning from The Academy

Damage control, I imagine. If he resigns, he may be eligible to return in the future.

If he was expelled, the chance of returning would be much smaller.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Smith's statement.

I have directly responded to the Academy’s disciplinary hearing notice, and I will fully accept any and all consequences for my conduct. My actions at the 94th Academy Awards presentation were shocking, painful, and inexcusable. The list of those I have hurt is long and includes Chris, his family, many of my dear friends and loved ones, all those in attendance, and global audiences at home. I betrayed the trust of the Academy. I deprived other nominees and winners of their opportunity to celebrate and be celebrated for their extraordinary work. I am heartbroken. I want to put the focus back on those who deserve attention for their achievements and allow the Academy to get back to the incredible work it does to support creativity and artistry in film. So, I am resigning from membership in the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences, and will accept any further consequences the Board deems appropriate. Change takes time and I am committed to doing the work to ensure that I never again allow violence to overtake reason.

But **** it I still have an Oscar.

• Advertisement

Will he return his award?

The words 'from my cold, dead hands' spring to mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,387 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Exactly he was in it to win it, although I haven't yet seen his particular film this time out he won in a very poor year. Should he really be bothered all things considered the campaign seemed like it was going for a couple of films and the actuality came through whatever the situation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I watched it this evening. It's like a made for TV movie. His acceptance speech was a better acting performance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,022 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Ah in fairness it was an excellent performance in a decent (but too long) movie.

Daresay it's probably a lot harder to watch/appreciate his performance normally after the Oscars, as the hyper-awareness of what's happened is bound to stop you from letting him disappear into the role. Which he really did do very effectively.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

He should just publicly give away his Oscar to some do-good charity or victim organisation, is whatever way makes sense for them. Or give it to some homeless child or something. At this stage he just needs to try to redeem himself and his image and not jeopardise his future. He will always be Oscar winner now, he doesn’t need to have the statue sitting in his home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,440 ✭✭✭Homelander

He really doesn't need to. His entire, multi-decade career, culminating in an Oscar, as well as the night he received it and the movie he received it for, is now forever defined by and associated with his outrageous behavior.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,493 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Maybe compromise he keeps his oscar but it’s made of tin or cooper… some sort of inferior metal… or maybe even cardboard ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

He’ll never live this down. This will be with him for the rest of his life.

I don’t think he should have to hand back the award. A bit like Michelle DeBruin and her medals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

He still has the Oscar but if I were him I’d never want to see it again…having it displayed will be a constant reminder of the most shameful moment of his professional career.

Even Olivia Pope couldn't save Will Smith now, he is finished I think

Like Aladdin he needs a genie, to go back in time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,294 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I doubt he's finished. He'll take a hit for a few years for sure, but he'll be back. The only difference between what Will Smith did and what half of Hollywood has done is that Will Smith did his bullsh*t so publicly. He'll be back.

Personally, I think Rock deserved the slap.

The "joke" was not tame, or nothing. It was a tasteless cheap shot at a woman suffering from an auto-immune illness that causes hair loss. Her shaved head is not a fashion choice.

I don't know if anyone has mentioned it, but for women of colour, their hair is a very signifcant matter of pride for them. Which, being a man of colour himself, Chris Rock would have known and that made his referring to Jada's hair a doubly cheap shot.

Jada has been open about her alopecia and encouraging other alopecia sufferers not to be embarrassed about their hair loss. For Rock to target her in that way was disgusting and personal to all alopecia sufferers. I hope Rock is proud of himself, for making "jokes" at the expense of sufferers of an illness that can destroy the sufferer's confidence.

Will could have reacted better, and been smarter in how he handled it. There is no denying that.

But I don't hold it against him, and it doesn't change my opinion of him. I think he loves his family, and his and Jada's marriage is their own business. He didn't do anything I haven't seen happen in a pub many times, when some fool insults another guy's wife or girlfriend. Will's mistake, as far as I'm concerned, was slapping Rock while the world was watching.

That's my 2c worth!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

I disagree that her hairstyle is not a choice. She chooses to shave off the hair she obviously has. She could very easily wear a weave/wig.

Not that cheap a shot considering Will was laughing when Rock made his remark, and not a mention of alopecia, hair loss or any other illness.

Folks desperate to find the actual offence here. It was a nothing quip. Even Jada’s reaction herself was one of not giving a hoot.

Will’s attack/assault was the only shameful event, evidenced from his own very admitting apology (sincere or not).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,294 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I don't know if anyone has mentioned it, but for women of colour, their hair is a very signifcant matter of pride for them. Which, being a man of colour himself, Chris Rock would have known and made his referring to her hair, a doubly cheap shot.

Chris Rock produced, starred in and narrated a documentary years ago about black women's hair; how important it is, the culture behind it, the history of black women chemically straightening their hair, and even interviewed a woman with alopecia. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Good_Hair

That's why I'm inclined to believe he may genuinely not have known that she had a shaved head due to alopecia. Still doesn't make the joke good or anything, but I don't think Chris Rock knew she had alopecia. She may have been vocal about it over the last few years, but that doesn't mean Chris Rock heard about it, and I don't think he would have made the joke if he knew.

Regardless, the joke didn't warrant the slap. Will Smith could have called him out during his speech later, or if he didn't win call it out during interviews later. He could have talked about how proud he is of his wife and how she's dealt with the alopecia etc. There's a multitude of better ways he could and should have dealt with it. He should not have gone up and slapped him.

And seriously, as a society, are we really condoning violence like this based off any quip/remark made in the entertainment industry? People can now go around assaulting others because they have taken offence at a remark made at some function/event?

And I disagree back.

Why should she wear a weave or a wig? So people like Chris Rock won't make jokes about her?

Its her illness. She can manage her condition how she sees fit, and jokes shouldnt be made about it.

Explain the actual joke/offence?

He mentions GI Jane…

and?

@Penn

I knew about that documentary.

I think if he didn't know about Jada's condition he would have said so by now, and maybe apologised himself.

I'd like to give him the benefit of the doubt, but I think he knew.

I agree Will could have handled it better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭jackboy

So would you agree that mocking Donald Trump and Wayne Rooney’s hair issues should not be done and no joke about hair should ever be made about a man’s baldness?

• Advertisement

If the offensive nature of Rock's "joke" needs to be broken down and explained to you, it obviously went right over your head.

His joke wasn't about GI Jane. He was poking fun at Jada's shaved head. Something she did (and explained why publically) in the course of managing her auto-immune illess.

Poking fun at her for that is not okay in my book. I don't consider what he said a harmless "remark".

To add insult to injury, Rock is fully aware of the significance of their hair as a source of pride to women of colour.

I already said Will could have handled it better. But I'm not going to hold what he did against him.

Someone deserves to be assaulted in front of millions of people for doing his job as a comedian?

Do you not think this was "toxic masculinity" or something? It's ok for a man to assault another man because of a joke? Interesting.

Next time Amy schumer or someone insults someone, let's see if she is deserving of violence against her.

You pretty much are advocating the use of violence if you feel someone has offended you.

What a warped 2c you've given.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

Wonder would there have been any blowback to Chris rock about that joke if will smith hadn't struck him, comedians seem to be applauded at these award shows for roasting celebrities so maybe not. I see Chris Rock has since not apologised about the joke so I guess he still doesn't think it's offensive or doesn't care.

Not a dicky bird about Rocks’s remark had the assault not happened. Because the remark was a nothing.

I didn't comment on the thread to get into a discussion about Donald Trump or Wayne Rooney 🙄 but as far as I know, they don't suffer from any auto-immune illness that causes their hair to fall out.

I personally haven't ever made jokes about anyone's baldness. I find jokes about appearance in very bad taste and not at all funny.

"I find jokes about appearance in very bad taste and not at all funny"

And they deserve retaliation through violence if a person feels like it?

Would it have been ok for him to smack a woman?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 914 ✭✭✭The Phantom Jipper

In fairness, she is a complete Z-lister. Arguably Chris Rock should make it his business to know if he intends to make a joke about it, but it's perfectly plausible that he wouldn't have heard about it. Non-entities make public pronouncements about all sorts of things but thankfully we don't hear about 99.9% of it. She seems to be getting high on her own supply if she thinks her statements about her losing her hair was front page news.

So you think its a comedian's job to poke fun at the expense of the sufferer of an auto-immune illness? In front of millions of people? One that he already knew was a sensitive subject for a woman of colour? (Her hair)

We'll have to disagree on what a comedian's job is so. Personally, I think what Rock did was warped.

I never said anything about toxic masculinity - interesting that you brought that up. But then, you do enjoy trying to puts words in other people's mouths.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Advertisement