Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Issue moving photo library

Options
  • 11-01-2022 2:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭

I am hoping someone might be able to help

A while back I moved my photo library from my Mac to an external SSD to save space. I don't use the photos app on the Mac much (actually very little).

I think I may have made a mistake as I was using the same SSD as a time machine target.

Today I tried opening the photo library from the SSD and Photos is saying that there isn't enough disk space to open it - I am assuming it is due to the Internal disk not having the space - but that is why I want it on an external.

I read somewhere that it won't open if it is on the same device as a time machine. So I have attached another external drive, formatted to APFS and tried to copy the library to that. However - about half way though the copy it throws up an error saying that it can't copy the file - error

"You can't copy 'Photos Library.photolibrary' because it has the same name as another item on the destination volume, and that volume doesn't distinguish between upper - and lowercase letters in filenames."

I'm a little stuck now as I'd like to point the time machine to a different drive (which has already completed a couple of good backups) - format the SSD and use that for the photo library. But I can't format the SSD until I've moved the library.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭DeconSheridan

In your Pictures folder right click on 'Photos Library.photolibrary' choose Show package Contents, Originals folder is where all your photos should be.

Advertisement