Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

can i replace this MCB

Options
  • 11-01-2022 3:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

just moved in to a house, this switch seems to have blown.

there is a set of sockets downstairs that arent functional linked to this.

it seems i can just turn off the mains and swap this out but is it more complicated than that?

i havent been able to find the exact model yet but assume hager could provide one cheap enough.

if somone could tell me why im stupid/about to kill myself if it is more complicated than that that would be great.

thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭MTU

The safe electric police will say no.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,189 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

You need a qualified RECI electrician, for anything inside the fuse box. If something goes wrong and the house burns down your insurance would be void in a DIY case.

Unlikely the breaker is broken if it is latched into the ON position, possible sure but more obvious reasons need to be checked first

Need to do some investigation as to why there is no power at the socket in question, so you need an electrician and the correct test gear to verify the cabling, likely a break somewhere or a termination popped out of a terminal

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭MTU

Not all electrician's registered with safe electric are qualified or have any qualifications for that matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 eltmgnd

its a series of sockets, 8+ sockets in multiple rooms nothing else on it. when we came to see the house the mains were switched off as were a few others, estate agent flipped on to get lights working so no telling what it would have been set as.

thanks for the info. 👍️

Advertisement