Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why such a drop in speed ?

Options
  • 11-01-2022 8:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭

Vodafone FFTH.

Have Velop mesh system as house is 3 storey and concrete floors.

Generally getting 500Mbps down and 100Mbps up.

Have a flashed Netgear router wired to the Vodafone router for BBC iPlayer.

However, download and upload on this router are 30Mbps.

Main router, Parent Node and Netgear are all beside each other.

Can't understand why there is such a drop in speed from 500Mbps to 30Mbps ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,113 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

VPN?

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭joebre

Router was flashed by a friend so that a VPN was connected to the UK.

Set up my Smart TV to UK and connected to the flashed router to get BBC iPlayer and UTV hub.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Paid for or "free"?

Either way, thats normal enough. Try renting a VPS to host to run a VPN. Lets say a mediocre host in AWS costs 2$/hr. Thats 1440/mo. Let say you charge $5/mo, then your effective rate after tax/charges is is probably $4/customer. Thats 360 customers. On one box. That has 25Gbps BURST networking, can only do a few hundred meg constant.

TDLR - a 500Mb CDR VPN will cost way more than you'll want to pay.

EDIT: Forgot, this doesnt include the bandwidth charges AWS will apply....

Paid.

Nord VPN.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭niallb

What model is the Netgear router?

• Advertisement

It’s a Netgear Nighthawk R7000.

Ran the Nord App on my phone when connected to my main network and got speed of 250Mbps

Connected to the flashed router and speed of only 5Mbps.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭MTU

That speed is terrible, you need to resolve that.

That’s what I can’t understand. The two routers are beside each other. Using the flashed router to get BBC iPlayer and UTV Hub.

Problem is no support for the second router so hoping somebody here can help ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭dam099

From the OP I thought your routers were connected by Ethernet but you have mentioned more than once how close they are which wouldn't really be a concern with Ethernet until you get quite far away (up to 100m depending on cabling).

Are they connected by Ethernet or WiFi.

If Ethernet have you tried a different cable?

If WiFi is it using 2.4 or 5 ghz band?

Other possibility is the VPN client for your Netgear is poor or misconfigured (Nord may support different protocols and you are not using the most efficient). Also maybe the router itself is underpowered for VPN's that model is getting on now a new smartphone might be better specced at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭KildareP

VPN traffic requires a huge amount of CPU power which the vast majority of residential/SME routers simply don't have.

Example: the Fritzbox modems can do VPN as well but you'll see throughput in the low double digits at best, even on a gigabit line.

Unless you're going to invest in something beefier like a Sonicwall or a Fortinet then the low speeds are an unfortunate tradeoff for the ability to access geoblocked content.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,113 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Your phone has more CPU power than Netgear and/or different setings applied i guess

Dont do VPN over VPN(phone->Netgear), that is not helping

The reason I am saying that they are close together is that I am running a wireless speediest on two routers in roughly the same location.

The routers are connected by a short ethernet cable.

I will change the cable and test again.

Don't understand why I am getting 250mbps on a wireless test while running the Nord App on my main setup and getting almost nothing on the flashed router

It could well be the cable !

This Netgear R7000 is also sold flashed by Nord.

We bought 2 and my friend flashed both.

I will ask him to do a similar speed on his setup.

Not doing VPN over VPN.

The 250Mpps result wss using the App on the Main VF line that provides 500Mbps normally.

Post edited by joebre on

Advertisement