Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

171 Mazda 6 DPF issue 'Soot accumulation in DPF is too high'

2»

Comments

They should scrap every deleted or mapped vehicle. It is illegal activity and must end now! Luckily the insurance does not cover anything if car is modified, so these modifiers get the punishment. I am really tired to see every day the hacked cars. I understand if everything works properly, go ahead. Unfortunately everything is made so poorly, these cars must classified as dangerous cars.

I like to understand, what is going on under these people "hood". Why they make such stupid things and pay big money for that scrappy job?

More waffles to my fanclub... Enjoy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,337 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Easy for you to prate on about it when you aren't footing the bills. Every dog and its owner knows that Mazda engine is a whole bag of trouble and the Op might never get it sorted, Mazda themselves have given up on that engine and point blank refuse to give any goodwill at all.

Op, cut your losses, keep your hard earned bobs and get it mapped out asap.

I would assume getting DPF mapped out, means bypassing DPF, sure this would fail emissions test for NCT.. and Im sure insurance would have a field day with this modification...

Both times in the past it went within 4-8 weeks, so far Ive had it back from garage about 4 weeks and have another 12 weeks on warranty for DPF.. if it does not come up by then I would be nervously OK with it.. Hopefully the Diptane and harder driving is doing the trick.

But in saying that, I will probably only hold the car for a year or 2 cause Ive lost confidence in it, pity cause it really is a lovely car

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,580 ✭✭✭jmreire

You are right about them being a lovely car, the BIL's have 2 petrol engined Mazda's, lovely to look at and lovely to drive. Never a problem with them...serviced on time, and drive on. But the diesel engine.....you are caught between a rock and a hard place my friend. Best thing is to plan on getting out of it ASAP. Just wondering ( I often do that... ) if it was a Mazda dealership you bought it from, would they have a petrol engined one you could trade it in against, for a reasonable price? I understand very well where you are coming from, and this may well be easier said than done, nonetheless, if the engine goes, and all the warranty is gone, then you would be in a worse position.

I know your right, and it wasnt a Mazda dealer.

Actually, thinking about this, or over thinking about this :) But should I really be using Diptane now, maybe dont use for the next 12 weeks (when warranty is finished). Possibly all Im doin is helping delay the re-occurance of the problem until the warranty is up??

Anybody got any stories of a DPF being actually fixed? Im hoping mine is :)

Im also hoping that if the issue does re-occur when the warranty expires I still have some recourse. Have written evidence that I have issue with DPF, so if occurs again outside of warranty, they didnt fix the original issue...

I would not be using the diptane every single fill, maybe every 2nd or 3rd time might be enough? The Family "Fleet" consists of a mix of Seat Taracco, VW Passat, Skoda Superb's, Octavia, and they would generically be SAG. For non VAG, we have one Volvo S60 and one MB E class 220. They all have one thing in common though, all are diesel,and all have DPF. But we have not (so far) had any DPF issues, from any of them. So I'd be coming down on the side of Mazda have an engineering / design problem with their diesel engines. Even nowadays, in newer vehicles, DPF issues do not seem to be as common as they used to be. ( stop / start driving is still a big no no though) Yes, there are stories about successfull DPF cleaning, and re-setting. In the early DPF days, clogged DPFs were a very common problem. And if you Google, "DPF Cleaning" you will see what is available, and lots of reviews, prices etc. Might be an idea to give one of them a ring, and ask about Mazda DPF issues, If they can't tell you, no one can. The problem with Mazda seems to be that it is starting but not finishing regens...so each time you have failed regen, additional diesel used in the regen, find's its way into the oil in the sump, cauing the level to rise,,,,and therein lies the problem. Seems to be an engine management issue.

Hard to know how to advise you..just drive it and hope for the best, and plan for trading it as soon as you can. I wish you good luck with it anyhow, its a rotten situation to find your self in.

Just a quick update on this.

The error of soot accumulation has not come back yet..

However, due to all the failed regens in the past I decided to get oil change and a quick diagnostics before the warranty is up (should be up on 15th March)

Here is the report, this was done in a Mazda garage:

Have sent off email to garage I bought the car, waiting to hear back from them..

Seems form the fault too many regens are running now, so dont know how the original issue of soot accumulation arose?

And I suppose this issue will have an effect on fuel economy.. as the price of fuel is going up and up...

So DPF gone again, just this morning! Like right on time, seems to be very 6 weeks.. ‘soot accumulation too high’

back to garage again for the 3rd time.

would ya think the fuel injectors is the cause?

• Advertisement

If the garage agree to replace them it's definitely worth a try, they cost an open fortune so I can't see that happening. Controversial as it is but I'd definitely get the fcuker mapped, honestly this car could end up costing you an absolute fortune.

What do ya mean mapped?

it’s already costing me a massive pain in the ar*e!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,653 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

This one is a big issue with these and frankly would worry me.

There was a thread here now deleted I believe where the OP had the same issue (not dpf I think)

Mazda essentially fobbed him off for months. Put sensors in his car to record his driving and essentially did everything possible to delay and distract. He had solicitor involved etc.

The high oil is due to excessive regen and is unburnt fuel in your oil.

The mapping people are taking about is to essentially pull out the dpf and hook a computer to the car to achieve this completely. I'd be wary. Next year or two could easily see NCT hooking to obd and checking for such bollixing.

See how Mazda treat this.

If they fix everything you'll need to decide is it worth keeping.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭Glaceon

Removal of the DPF and mapping out from the ECU. While it will prevent the issue from happening again, it could result in NCT issues down the line.

I’m thinking g of asking the garage where I bought the car (was not a Mazda garage) to swap for another car of similar value.. highly unlikely, but I’ve lost all faith in it..

If they don’t..am seriously thinking of trading it in for another car, but what’s the likely hood of another dealership pretty much swapping for another car?

Two problems here, the op isn't dealing with Mazda he bought the car from an independent garage who at this stage are going to tell to bog off. Second problem? Mazda themselves can't fix these cars either.

• Advertisement

Very little chance unfortunately, all the dealers are aware of the nightmare these cars can be and will give you feck all, if anything for your car. There was a beautiful metallic red one on a main dealers forecourt locally they practically had it on the road trying to shift it... I think it went to the auction after.

At the rate it's filling the dpf and sump with crud and diesel it'll either blow up on the emissions test or fail anyway.

Can they not just replace the DPF?

Tough sh*t.. :)

this is the 3rd times it’s gone now in 6 months.. they have to fix it, what are they waiting for the warranty to run out.. that won’t hold because they haven’t addressed the issue that has occurred under warranty!

• Advertisement

Sure they can replace the dpf but that's only curing the symptoms not the disease, in another few months you're back where you started, without warranty this time.

Balls…

There is load of car owners who bought wrong type of car. Luckily, they can buy washing machine (electric car) and forget the all previous troubles. I do not say any word about new kind of troubles, not a single word.

You see, that was the first thing was said to the op, ya ya you bought a big diesel to show off to the neighbours and you only tip up and down to mass once a week it serves you right etc etc.. However that isn't the case, the car is being used correctly, unfortunately the car has turned out to be a lemon.

The rest of your post is jibberish...

Agree… had to read his post a few times to get an idea of what he was on about..

anyway, they ran a regen today, so good for now.. will be checking fuel injectors next week. He said he would be able to run tests on the fuel injectors to see which one(s) are faulty, and replace them..

in the long run of the warning keeps coming up, will have to swap car.. all in all not a bad outcome.

will see how it goes.. saying and doing are different things :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,887 ✭✭✭zg3409

Get it in writing they will replace your car if issue not sorted.

They may fob you off and you may have to sell your car to some unlucky person.

As said masda diesel are known for this multiple complicated issues that block dpf and this car is no exception.

A thing to note every time your car regenerates or is forced a regeneration then the time to an oil change is sooner. The oil level in dip stick will rise. Never let it get above full. Change oil as often as possible and after any garage forced regeneration.

Removing/gutting dpf, fixing whatever other issues are present may be only fix short of scrapping car. The dpf will continue to get blocked if something is causing engine to be "smoky" . Replacing dpf for say 1000 euro is no good if it blocks again. The dpf itself may be ok, but keeps getting blocked due to smoky engine.

If you are into your computers and electronics you can see when regens are happening with an obd dongle and a phone app. Forscan is a good app for Mazdas and can show you dpf temperature etc. If you run forscan not on a phone but on a laptop with a USB dongle you can see more and do more. If regenerations are happening too often fuel consumption will be terrible and engine oil will need changing much more frequently. I went through this whole dpf nightmare in the past.

Would ya be able to run a manual regen using this:

FORScan OBD2 USB Adapter for Windows, Car Diagnostic Coding Tool OBDII Auto Scanner with MS-CAN/HS-CAN Switch for Ford Lincoln Mazda Mercury Series Vehicles https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B092LKXSL9/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_i_K1C22BGTW47WWH1TJZ3K

does the forscan software cost, or free?

I think it's more the failed regens that cause the oil level to rise. It could be the simplest thing that causes the regen to fail, finding it is a whole other problem 😡

Yeah, regens are happening, as between each time the warning comes up I’m doing about 3000km..

how frequently do regens run I.e. about every 300 miles?

if so several regens run in the 3000kms it does between when the warning comes up!

could the fuel injectors be causing this behaviour?

Honestly it could be anything. I heard of a 2014 Skoda Superb that wouldn't regen and the only fault present was for a faulty seat heater, heater was fixed it was a broken connector and regens started working... The joys of motoring eh? Are there any faults flagged on your car? (Besides regen obviously)

• Advertisement

This is the fault logged re fuel Injectors

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Weezer84

Hi Rockdrummer4,

Its not the dpf, work for Mazda dealer. We have never replaced a dpf on the 2.2 skyactiv engine ever. They dont give issues. You have four faulty injectors. There is also no point in anyone testing them as they wont show up faulty. The fault code you got from Mazda P243c is to do with over fueling from the injectors. This is common. There was a recall on this issue AJ024E. I would also get the garage to check for carbon build up on the throttle body and the map sensor. Honestly get all your work done through the main dealer, i wouldnt trust the garage you are dealing with. Mazda modified the injectors about two years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭cuculainn

Haven't read all this thread, so you may have gotten the advice already, but sell the car now, or better still get refund.

I had same car, loved it, had all the same issues, was advised to sell it, didn't get round to it and I also loved the car when it was going,

ended up having to replace the engine.

Trust me, it might be painful now getting rid of it, but they are a disaster of a car.

the car went in today, so will see what garage say.. if they do nothing and the issue comes back they will replace car..

also if they say they do something, will be bringing back to Mazda to run diagnostics to make sure it’s ok :)

Yep, have every intention of doing this, gonna try all via garage and warranty .. see where I get, sure maybe swapping car if issue comes back again!

Right so, finally got the car back last Saturday (after them having it for nearly 6 weeks). They replaced all 4 fuel injectors.

so hopefully now all is good.

did notice it was up to 13l per 100km, drivin about 200km since then and down to 9km per 100km

hopefully after some more driving it will get down to normal, of abt 7.3ish per 100km..

also just fixed faulty mirror folding with some wd40 and grease..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,249 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

your driving is mostly motorway driving, and you're getting 7.3l per 100km? seems high?

It’s an automatic, and maybe with new injectors that will go even a bit lower :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭BlakeS94

They are a lovely car when they're going well, but every single person I know that's owned one got rid of it because of the issues, I'm sorry to be a downer but I don't think 4 new injectors will fix the DPF issues that plague those Skyactiv diesels.

Maybe the L/100km is so high because the DPF is doing so many active regeneration cycles that the ECU is commanding the injectors to spray loads of extra fuel to try clear the DPF. Cruising on the motorway at 120km/h should yield in the range of 6.0L/100km

• Advertisement

I think your wrong there, I know 2 other guys with manual Mazda 6’s, and they get 6.5l per 100km..

anyway time will tell abt injectors. I did ask on a UK Mazda forum and they advised the injectors could well be the issue with Dpf.. with a very long and technical explanation.. can forward to ya if you wish?

anyway another 4 months of warranty and if DPF goes again will be getting diff car, as mentioned by dealer before :)

And also as advised by Mazda garage the too many regens is actually caused by faulty fuel injectors, hence why they were replaced!

Going through all the posts, the one I was most impressed by was Weezer83 Post nr #84,. As far as I can gather, he's working in a Mazda Dealership, and his explanation of the problem, and the solution makes the most sense to me, and if this work has been carried out on your car, then it should be OK. Keep us in the picture, anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Mihaela Andreea

I was wondering if the poster ever sorted the issue?

My Mazda's dash is like a Xmas tree. It started with Smart City Break, Tyre Pressure, Traction Control and handbrake errors. The mechanic replaced the throttle body and now I have a dfp soot error. Car only has 100000km on the clocl and in my nativity i thought that a 60km drive a week at high revs will keep it healthy.

sorry for the late reply, so far so good. Replacing the injectors seemed to do the business. Previously always got the error every 2 momnths, now it is about 10 weeke (2.5 months) since replacing the injectors.. lookng good. also noticed fuel consumption has gone from 7.2l per 100km to 6.2l per 100km..

Fairly confident issue is resolved now, a happy camper

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Cupoftea3000

Weezer84, have you had many of the Skyactiv 2.2 stalling?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

You have posted on more than enough threads about this already

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement