Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Private car policy / trailers.

Options
  • 12-01-2022 1:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭

What is the insurance position in relation to pulling a trailer with a private car ?

I have a private car insurance. My driving licence allows me to pull trailers (within weight limits).

a) Does my policy cover me to pull my own trailer and does it have to be specified on the policy ?

b) Does my policy cover me to pull someone else's trailer ?

I am thinking of the scenario where I might be asked to tow a friend's boat and trailer with my car.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,455 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I picked a random insurance company, Googled 'axa insurance trailer' and this was the first hit. As always, check your policy document.

Am I covered to tow a trailer on my car insurance policy?

Yes, Third Party Liability cover to tow a single axel trailer/horsebox is automatically included in your policy. Please note that this cover only applies when the trailer/horsebox is attached to your car.

If you do the same search with any of the major companies, you'll get a similar result. Better still, download your policy document and search for 'trailer'.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,758 ✭✭✭zg3409

I think trailers are generally mentioned in the small print. Beware there are weight limits for trailer, car and trailer, towbar, and total load you can carry. The rules is the smallest value of all. Loads also need to be balanced etc. Even the tow ball height and weight on tow ball have limits Many trailers are home made and may not meet legal requirements to be on the road,In particularly after a certain date of manufacture. If your trailer has no plate displaying weights then it's probably not good enough.

Trailers need lights, reg, lights for reg, often special cables are needed for newer car to interface to trailer lights so car knows when it's towing and will adapt brakes etc

Typically insurance cover is the least problem with trailers. Ring your insurer if in any doubt. If you are new to towing learn how to reverse etc as trailers can be dangerous and difficult to maneuver.

Advertisement