Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Have You Watched Recently?

Options
  • 12-01-2022 1:09pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,275 Mod ✭✭✭✭

This forum has unfortunately completely died. There used to be a number of posters that kept a horror viewing log, myself included, but all have seemed to stop posting.

So I think a good way to get the forum up and moving again is to have a thread where posters can post about the last horror film/series they watched and leave a short review.

My most recent viewing was:

Black Water: Abyss (2020)

A sequel to the 2007 Australian horror film based on a true story about a killer crocodile, this sequel is largely the same although not based on a true events.

The plot is simple, a group of friends decide to explore a recently discovered cave but they get trapped after a sudden storm. The water in the cave slowly begins to rise and to make matters worse, there's also a crocodile intent on picking them off.

This sequel was largely panned and has a paltry 4.5 score on IMDB but I'm not ashamed to admit that I enjoyed it. The cave setting works well to ramp up the tension and although it all plays out exactly as you'd expect it's still an enjoyable watch. The effects are definitely ropey at times, the characters are not the most likeable and there's more than one plot hole but as creature features go, this was one of the better ones for me.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,473 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Texas Chainsaw Massacre (2022)

I'm a fan of this franchise and love the Leatherface character but this film whilst entertaining, overall I found it a miss.

It's well directed, fairly well acted and looks nice but that's where the feeling of a TCM film ends. The main problem is there is no family element to the movie, which was really want was a big factor which separated the franchise to the rest of the silent killers like Jason and Michael. This is basically Leatherface killing people with minimal exposition.

I didn't mind the setting of the town in of itself but again, this didn't feel TCM. It's supposed to be an old, remote farmhouse, not a town square with open streets. The Sally Hardesty subplot felt forced, copying the recent Halloween Laurie character(as Leatherface is also to be fair) and totally unnecessary.

I thought Leatherface looked good, was menacing and the film is fun and enjoyable. Could have done without the more or less 15 minute ad for Tesla though.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 MaxSublime

Lately, I've been diving into some classic films like "Casablanca" and "The Godfather" for a dose of timeless cinema. Additionally, I've been catching up on some intriguing documentaries, particularly ones exploring space exploration and the wonders of the natural world. How about you? Any recent movie or show recommendations?

Advertisement