Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What VR player can play from USB stick (Oculus Quest 2)

Options
  • 12-01-2022 2:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 65,323 ✭✭✭✭
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I can play movies directly stored on the Quest's memory no probs with DeoVR or BigScreen, but I find it troublesome to upload them from my PC (using SideQuest) to the Oculus. I have setup a Plex server from my PC and I can play movies fine on the Oculus using the DeoVR player, which I like.

But ideally I would like to play from an external USB stick. I have managed to format the disk ok, can transfer files easily from my PC, but the DeoVR player can't access USB media (BigScreen can, but I don't like it)

My question: any other way or any other player that can do this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Doge

I might give Skybox Player a good later with a usb C on the go cable.

Why dont you like Bigscreen by the way?

Theres different environments to watch movies including a Void environment if you just wanted a screen with nothing else.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,323 ✭✭✭✭unkel

That would be great Doge. I don't mind paying for Skybox Player as long as it can play VR180 from a USB stick

I don't like Bigscreen because I don't think their VR playback is good. DeoVR Player is much better

• Registered Users Posts: 65,323 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Hey man, did you get a chance to check out Skybox with a USB C stick?

Totally forgot man but just tried it now and I can't even get Xplore file manager which I sideloaded to show the usb drive. Skybox player can't access it either.

Theres a thread here with some apps you can use to do it, but it will just appear as a popup video in your home environment, not a cinematic environment.

https://www.reddit.com/r/OculusQuest/comments/hy2f52/oculus_quest_and_otg_usb_drives/

In my 2nd post ill link to gadgets you can buy that allow you stream a usb stick over wi-fi to skybox player which had a nice cinema environment.

• Advertisement

Here's the slickest little solution. I have a ravpower filehub, but ravpower were banned from Amazon for shilling reviews so here's the next best thing:

it's basically a mini router that's a bit of a Swiss army knife.

You can plug a usb into it with all your videos on it, it has its own WiFi which you can connect your quest to, and then you can go into skybox player and click network and the usb drive appears.

Here's RaMarcus using it with his Oculus Go, but the same applies to the quest and quest 2. The video is longer than it needs to be and once its setup there's no faffing about afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭maik3n

Anyone able to confirm if they got this TP Link workaround going on quest 2?

Also, is it limited to skybox player or will other apps work?

Advertisement