Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need a dog trainer for my DOG

• 13-01-2022 12:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Lets start at the start. I have done multiple 1 on 1 sessions with trainers who was training us as a family to work with our dog.

Some of it has been successful some not so much.

I now need someone to look after some behavioural issues our dog has that I dont believe is something we need to be trained to deal with, the dog does.

She is way over excited any time we or anyone goes near the front door. Visitors ( despite me trying trinaing loads of times with a friend ) turns into a wrestling match between me and the dog and often leads to puddles of pee at on the floor ( No matter who it is )

She looses her mind when there are other dogs about, wont listen to any commands despite being fairly good when no other ones are about. My real issue is she is fairly big and quite rough with all other dogs. Ones she can dominate she roughs up, ones she cant dominate she simply will not leave alone, constantly trying to dominate them. We have had some dogs give her a good warn off and she just goes back for more. We are going to become pariahs at the dog park, a relative who has 2 dogs wont have her any more as she plagues their dogs who just want to be left alone. She meets with outher dogs daily for 30 mins minimum free time playing together in the park. I hope this regualr contact would help, it really hasnt, she still is way over excited and causes mayhem.

Lastly, she will do absolutely nothing if left on her own even if its outside a window 2 feet from me, she wont settle, and hardly even sleep. She just sits there staring in the window waiting for someone to come to her, whimpering, and now howling. I have tried lots of tactics, leave her short time, come back, leave a bit longer, leave loads of toys - the lot.

Sure some of these traits can be sorted by a trainer who knows what they are doing ?

I am not here for a lecture about me and how I am in some way evil thanks ( Sorry, I ahve read other threads here )

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

What type of dog is it?

Also at what age was it removed from it's mother?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

Its a Poodle cross and it was 10 weeks

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,329 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

What was your trainer certified as and was it your trainer that brought up the whole domination theme? Secondly; you have a puppy, expecting a puppy to be well behaved at 3 months is, shall we say, optimistic view of the world. Without more information I'd guess what's needed is a focus on basics (clearly you moved to fast on the training seeing how it's not sticking), mental games as well and sorry this is something that you will need to do and not something you can hand of to a trainer to try to fix the dog for you. Without having more information I'd be inclined towards that your trainer simply did not give you the appropriate information but I want to make it clear that's based on very little information and could be very wrong as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

thanks for your input. the dog is 14 months old now. So I dont think I am being optimistic that the dog should be behaving itself.

Neither trainer brought up the dominating thing, I am seeing it. There were 2 trainers both certified at some level I cant remember exactly what they were.

Could you explain why you think its something I have to fix and not a trainer ? I grew up in a house with gun dogs. We would not have trained all of the dogs we had ourselves, many were bought as trained dogs. All were perfectly able to heal, go, fetch, come when called, and behave around strangers appropriately, despite being trained by someone else ( either a professional or their previous owners ) so I dont understand why someone else cant train our dog for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Joey.

I’m surprised that the trainers haven’t stopped the free playing at the park, this will be compounding the problems. If your dog doesn’t recognise other dogs’ signals to back off, it is your job to redirect (or remove) her.

Every time she meets another dog or person it’s playtime! Quite right she loses her mind! I hope you find a trainer who can help OP, but in the meantime no more dog park. She is going to start a fight.

• Advertisement
Advertisement