Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VPN to lte router no static sim ip

• 13-01-2022 1:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 481 ✭✭

Hi,

I have an LTE router that will be deployed at a remote location and I would like to access this router remotely to configure/pull data etc. I will be using a standard consumer LTE sim card and DDNS not possible due to CG-NAT.

I've heard such remote access may be possible using a VPN but I'm at a loss how to set this up. Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Lucifer

You need to set up a vpn server such as openvpn or wireguard in your local network and have the remote lte device/site connect back to this. You won't be able to do it the other way around, as the lte connection won't allow you to forward/open a port.

You could look at pivpn, which offers an easy set up vpn server.

Another option my be tailscale or zerotier. They are supposed to be easier to set up but I have no experience with these as I usually use openvpn, although I have been trying wireguard recently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 481 ✭✭cherrytaz

Great thanks for that. Instead of setting up a VPN server on my local network, could I use the new cloud VPN from OpenVPN here https://openvpn.net/cloud-vpn/

And then connect my LTE router back to this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭niallb

That cloud VPN looks like a good option.

Advertisement