Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

insurance views on a house extension

Options
  • 13-01-2022 9:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭

my insurance , on a house extension,

I am getting extension built with an overhead bathroom & bedroom

I phone my insurance seeking some advise in respect of certifications , who said there is no requirement of certificate

I found a sparky electrician with 15 years in the trade, who is not registered with RECI.

god forbit if there was ever a fire in the home, would the insurance company try and not pay out?

the insurance company over the phone said there is no requirements in the form of certificates,

has anyone here found themselves in a position of house fire, and did they have any issues about un-registered reci taken on the work?

Post edited by spongbob on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭mountai

It is illegal for anyone , who is not a " Registered" electrician to carry out electrical work , full stop . In the event of a claim , every Insurance company will look for reasons NOT TO PAY OUT same . The risk is on you .

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Why is the electrician willing to carry out the work if he knows he's not legally allowed to do so? Does he work for someone who will cert the work on his behalf?

I'm an electrician, with a lot of past experience. I don't work in the trade anymore, so there's zero chance I'd do work for someone that I'm not allowed to do.

That said, I've seem some lads do dodgy stuff that I can't understand these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭meercat

He could go to jail for carrying out illegal works.

why would you not get a rec in and get the proper paperwork some insurance companies (especially in older homes) are requesting a period inspection report for prospective buyers before they’ll insure.it’s only a matter of time before they’ll require one for all homes

https://www.thejournal.ie/attic-conversion-electrical-work-jail-sentence-2600354-Feb2016/?amp=1

Advertisement