Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Becoming a qualified electrican

Options
  • 13-01-2022 10:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭

I poked around Google for an hour and couldn't find an answer really, so I am asking it here.

I'm wondering what paths are available to become a registered electrician in Ireland, however I am not interested in working as an electrician. I've been doing electrical installations for years on my own (Circuits, Sockets, RDSs, MCBs), all according to regulations and then verified by an electrician, but I am getting fed up with that, plus its getting more and more difficult to get it certified.

As I am planning to rewire an off-grid farm, I'd love to be able to carry out, test and certify the installation myself. The catch is, I am over 50, in full time work and I am certainly not going to spend years in an apprenticeship now. Are there other ways to get the needed national craft cert for electricians?

Post edited by 2011 on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Paul_Mc1988

Nope is the answer. Sorry mate. By the way what you are doing is illegal and if anyone gets wind and reports you it'll be a nice fine/jail sentence

• Registered Users Posts: 8,386 ✭✭✭corner of hells

To get a national craft cert , you must complete a standards based apprenticeship. There is no way around it.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

As above. There are no short cuts. It is a 4 year full time apprenticeship.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭pawdee

I dabble in a bit of medical stuff myself. Mostly for relatives and friends....... hernia operations, putting in stents, that kind of thing.....pretty basic stuff. I'm planning on performing a heart bypass on my mother in law. Like yourself, I'm over 50 and can't be arsed doing a medical degree etc. Anyone know how I can get registered....and quick?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Post edited by 2011 on

• Advertisement

I think this thread has run its course.

RECI do not have the authority to decide what qualifications make someone an electrician. As above it is a 4 Year apprenticeship, there are no shortcuts. See link:

https://apprenticeship.ie/career-seekers/get-started/learn-more/electrical/electrical-l6

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement