Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pollarding hornbeam hedge

Options
  • 13-01-2022 10:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭

Hi

I have hornbeam hedges circa 150m. Planted 2013. Gave them first pruning 2021. Took height down from circa 12ft to 8 ft.

I have decided to reduce the height further this year to around 5 ft. Reason being access for high level pruning and saplings are beginning to fill in copse to the south and over shading of shrub/perennial bank to the north.

I am planning on doing this in February. Is this the correct month.

All opinions welcome

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,686 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

They'll taken that pruning no problem but it's best done in September, shortly after its second flush of growth.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Squiggle

Always thought hard pruning was best done in winter months ! I took 2' off my Hornbeam hedge last January and had no issues. It has taken some hardship out of regular maintenance now that's its all reachable without the need for a ladder..

Advertisement