Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Running shoe recommendations

• 14-01-2022 4:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 44

Hi,

I'm currently wearing Brooks Ghost 14 in a wide fitting. However I've been getting injuries like achilles problems and shin splints (posterior tibialis). I was running 10kms up to 25kms 3-4 times a week quite easily before the injuries but am just starting back into it now after a month's lay off to recover. My Ghosts are 6 months old and have wear in the heel liners on both shoes. I've just gotten new custom orthotics for my running as the chiropodist said I was over pronating which caused the shin splints. I've also a history of calf and achilles injuries stretching back to when I was a kid. Ok, so that's the background.............

I've been looking at replacing the Ghosts with a new shoe. I'd need one with a wide fitting in the forefoot and a high heel to toe drop 10-12mms as anything lower will put strain on my calves/achilles (trust me, no amount of stretching before/after a run or strengthening exercises have helped). Are there any recommendations out there for a new shoe? I would consider buying new Ghosts but the premature wear on the inner heel liner didn't endear them to me.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 88 ✭✭longrunn

Ghost are neutral so (depending on who you talk to) not good for overpronation. Brooks GTS are like Ghost in that they are well cushioned and wide fitting but they are a stability shoe for overpronation.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

I know your pain OP, I've had pretty much 12 months of dealing with similar, due to me running 2 ultras in 0 drop shoes. Just from personal experience, if you have the orthotics I wouldn't be overly concerned about the shoes within reason, as long as they have some sort of drop. I run in neutral shoes for road and trail without too many issues.

What I would advise is wear the orthotics all the time, no bare feet or slippers etc and I have found taping my foot for every run helps a lot.

I still struggle from time to time with pain, but it's much more manageable now. There was a period of 4 months last year where I could barely put my weight on it. I'd buy new shoes and see how you get on with the orthotics in them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 693 ✭✭✭davegilly

I'm not so sure about not being concerned what shoe to wear once wearing orthotics. I bought NB Rebel V2 and wore them with orthotics and was crippled after them, could hardly walk a few days after a run. I tried to break them in walking in them as well and had lots of ankle/foot issues so have had to get rid of them.

Had lots of calf/Achilles problems previously - physio suggested orthotics and the only shoe so far that allows me to run with minimum pain are NB Prism V1. Impossible to find now unfortunately and the V2's are much stiffer so I don't like them. I'd suggest a mild stability shoe with the orthotics to be honest.

On that - I wanted to treat myself with a carbon plate shoe, NB TC is my preference but I'm afraid to spend so much money in case they end up like the rebels and I can't run in them. How stable are the TC's or can anyone suggest a mild stability carbon plate shoe?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

A lot could come down to the quality and type of orthotics also. I was lucky and able to slip them into a few pairs of my runners without any issues. Didn't require a break in period as such. They felt odd for a few days but after that, mostly all good.

Advertisement